Disney Studios on June 6, 2008: Gay Day vs. Star Wars. Anyone Going?

Ka-chow!

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this subject has been covered before, but...

June 6th at Disney Studios
It's interesting that Gay Day and Star Wars is scheduled on the same day at the same park.

Anyone going?
Anyone been before?
Any conflict between the two parties?

Been to both, but not at the same time.

Unless you're participating in, or are there specifically for, one of those events, I'd avoid the park like the plague. The crowds will be unbearable.

I'm not going and have never been.

But - there won't be any conflict between the two. If I were at Disney World on June 6th, I would avoid the Studios only because of the larger anticipated crowds.

We're coming in to WDW on the 6th so this isn't an issue for my bunch, but in general for the next couple of days we're going to avoid the official Gay Days park and the Star Wars Weekend just to miss the additional crowds. Personally my only concern with either is increased crowding.

:confused: Why would there be conflict between the two groups? Especially when there's some overlap between them?

Anyway, as much as I love Star Wars I've always avoided Star Wars Weekends. I'm not interested in fighting the crowds. I don't think that Gay Days causes that much of a crowd issue, except on the morning of the MK day. People tend fixate on the Gay Days celebration because of their own . . . views, rather than on any observable uptick in crowd levels. Since people with those . . . views tend to stay away from WDW during the event, the crowds balance out.

We are going that weekend my DH and two boys are Starwars freaks!:worship:

We have been during Gay Days and Starwars weekend three years ago, and no there was no conflicts. In my opinion, the strangest behavior I experienced that weekend was the grown adults (park guests not employees) in their full Starwars costumes!

If at all possible, after much research, I have determined that Sunday is the best day to attend Hollywood studios. No EMH hours for that day, no extra crowds from Gay Days, etc.

I'm Going, and taking my son for his b-day could care less if it is gay days... not a big deal to us. been there before during gay days and never had a problem. :cool2:

I'm Going, and taking my son for his b-day could care less if it is gay days... not a big deal to us. been there before during gay days and never had a problem. :cool2:

My DS b-day is on the 6th. We are going saturday the 7th to celebrate.
We've been going to SWW every year for the past 5 years and it's so much fun (we are big SW fans).
True the crowds are crazy but that's part of the atmosphere IMO.
And yes I agree with one of the previous psters: the gay community is not the issue here it's mostly seeing a 40 yo man in full jedi outfit in 95 degree weather :rotfl2: . And there aren't EMH for DHS during the weekends in June.
So if you love SW don;t worry about the crowds and just have fun. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids.

There is nothing to worry about...most of the Gay Days group will be at the Magic Kingdom on the First Saturday of June, some may be at HWS for star wars but you need not worry. Word to the wise....that day don't wear a red shirt, that is how the participants id each other. There is a thread on the dis board and you can visit www.gaydays.com for full schedule of events.

My DS b-day is on the 6th. We are going saturday the 7th to celebrate.
We've been going to SWW every year for the past 5 years and it's so much fun (we are big SW fans).
True the crowds are crazy but that's part of the atmosphere IMO.
And yes I agree with one of the previous psters: the gay community is not the issue here it's mostly seeing a 40 yo man in full jedi outfit in 95 degree weather :rotfl2: . And there aren't EMH for DHS during the weekends in June.
So if you love SW don;t worry about the crowds and just have fun. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids.

I envy you. I would love to get down there if I could. My then gf and now wife went to WDW's Gay Day in 1999 by accident. When we arrived at the parking lot from the beach that morning, we were both wondering why there were no church buses until I saw a sea of red shirts going into the parks. We looked at each other and said, "We're here on Gay Day!!! We had a blast.

I agree with you - 99.9% of the guys were very cool and just having a good time. But there was that 0.1% who probably came in and decided to come out, I mean way out of the closet once they got down to WDW. I'm talking about the very attention-seeking, way too loud and opinionated guy with the hula skirt wearing only a thong underneath. :scared1: Actually, there were several. Entertaining to me in my pre-kid days, but like Pete said on Dis-Unplugged, they are a few who are just not appropriate in a family park.

Just curious if anything happens when two irresistible attention seeking forces (i.e. your middle-age Jedi-master and my gay-guy Hula-master) meet. I know that my Hula-guy could not have walked by Jedi-Master without making a snarky comment.

Sounds like it will be a fun people watching day. popcorn::
Have a great time!

I will be there that weekend . . I don't expect it to be different than any other time in the summer, but when i told my boyfriend he had a small melt down. Red is his favorite color and he wants to wear his red shirts, but doesn't want to be mistaken and hit on. While I have never been during gay days . . i told him not to sweat it and wear what he wants . . he will be with me, and I can't image everyone in red is gay, because not everyone knows about it when they go. Am I off base on telling him this??

Red is his favorite color and he wants to wear his red shirts, but doesn't want to be mistaken and hit on.

Make him wear red, but in exchange, stay all over him while you are there. It'll be more fun and I'll bet he'll agree to that.

Seriously, I think Gay day has different colors for each day and park. You may want to check...

It might be a bit crowded that day, due to the fact that, it's the only day disney is giving seasonal PHs to attend SWW.

Make him wear red, but in exchange, stay all over him while you are there. It'll be more fun and I'll bet he'll agree to that.

Seriously, I think Gay day has different colors for each day and park. You may want to check...

The only day with a "color" is the MK on Saturday. The tradition of wearing red started with the first Gayday in 1991 where people wore red so they could "be seen and be counted".

Not just the gay folks wear red on that day either, many "friends of the family" (supporters of the gay community) will wear red as well.

Rainbows are also of course on display, and there are some great shirts available on websites like www.cafepress.com if you want to show support. Here is one of the popular ones..
jitcrunch.jpg

I love that shirt. Thanks for the link. Since we are going to be there over gay days I may get one and wear it. If I could get in before we leave in two weeks.

The only day with a "color" is the MK on Saturday. The tradition of wearing red started with the first Gayday in 1991 where people wore red so they could "be seen and be counted".

Not just the gay folks wear red on that day either, many "friends of the family" (supporters of the gay community) will wear red as well.

Rainbows are also of course on display, and there are some great shirts available on websites like www.cafepress.com if you want to show support. Here is one of the popular ones..
jitcrunch.jpg

ConcKahuna: Thanks for clearing that up for me. I really thought there was a planned color rotation through the week. I may have gotten bad information or misheard it. That's not the last time that will happen in my life!

That t-shirt is too cool! I really may have to get me one.

I should have told the earlier poster that with Star Wars weekend that day, her boyfriend should worry way more about their his own "nerd-dar" going off, e.g. getting into a Jedi light saber fight, rather than some guy's misfiring gaydar.

Good luck with Amendment 2 - hope it fails. We've got our own form of stupid with that Confederate Flag flying on the statehouse grounds.:sick:

Word to the wise....that day don't wear a red shirt, that is how the participants id each other. There is a thread on the dis board and you can visit www.gaydays.com for full schedule of events.

Yes, as stated, red is not just for gay people but for friends and family as well. We went to Disneyland last year for gay days and wore red in support of my daughter and our younger kids all wore rainbow mickey ears we picked up at the Disney Warehouse. Every person we passed asked us where we got them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter