Disney Stricter about GAC?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlemermaid

Mouseketeer
I just got back from WDW and I was denied a GAC when I have had one on my previous 3 visits! I have a bowel disorder (IBS) and I have difficulty standing for long periods of time (especially in the heat) because I tend to get an episode of IBS in those situations. I was told that because they have the fast pass system they are encouraging people to use that and rent wheelchairs so that if they get tired in line they have that. She also said that they are trying to just use the GAC for mental disorders now. I was shocked at this because my problem is that I may have to get out of lines to run to the bathroom so fastpass and a wheelchair won't help me then.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. I'm worried that she just didn't believe me because it's a disability she couldn't see and that maybe because I'm 22 she was less sympathetic.

I wonder if you were encouraged to get a wheelchair because it is the standing that causes the problems. Maybe she thought if you were mostly sitting while going through the park and que that you wouldn't have the problem?

What did you want the GAC to do? I am not trying to be rude (as someone with invisible GI problems, i understand the problems they cause!!) but perhaps the CM was confused about what you wanted the GAC to accomplish for you... it may be she was uninformed and thought you were asking for the GAC so you could skip lines... i understand why they try to keep people from "abusing" it, (not saying you would be!) and perhaps she thought if you were sitting in a wheelchair that would keep a flare from coming on... sorry to hear that they did not help!

The normal Guest Relations response to a situation involving stamina, mobility, or prolonged standing is the recommendation of renting a wheelchair or ECV. If a child is involved then there is the "stroller as wheelchair" option.

I have not heard of any recent policy changes.

Well she really didn't let me get a word in, I was trying to explain to her that I have had to get out of line in the past and that sometimes I'm stuck in the bathroom for a while when I have a flare up. It can really slow down my family and that's what I needed it for--luckily this was a short trip and I didn't have much trouble but thank you for your responses! :flower3:

Well she really didn't let me get a word in, I was trying to explain to her that I have had to get out of line in the past and that sometimes I'm stuck in the bathroom for a while when I have a flare up. It can really slow down my family and that's what I needed it for--luckily this was a short trip and I didn't have much trouble but thank you for your responses! :flower3:

There is no GAC that accommodates for getting out of line or shortening wait times to make up for bathroom time. It's a fact (some may say "limitation") of the GAC.

I understand your situation- I "know" (as a family member) how miserable, time-consuming, and embarrassing such a disease can be.

I have similar issues, I just bring my old pass and they never question it. If they ever did, I would explain the situation and not leave until I could do so, I will not go into details here, as I do not want people to find ways to abuse the system. They are super strict on the GAC here at Disneyland and it has not been a problem once I explained the issues and that all that I need is an alternate place to wait, they provide me with the appropriate stamps on my card and it works out well. It is rare, but ocassionally I ahve been asked to get a FP (even with the GAC) which I of course had no problem doing, provided that they were still being distributed, if they weren't, then I explain that and they have always been illing to accomodate me. Ocassionally here at DL they will give a pass to return at a time that is equal to the length of the line, esp. on attractions without FP. Or sometimes they have you sit for about the length of the line near the exit or other convienet spot. If I got a CM refusing to give me a GAC, I would ask for a supervisor and explain the situation, as a wheelchair/ECV would actually be a hinderance in my case as you can not get them through the people as quickly, even when I can't maneuver myself as easily as other people, I can still do so better than with a wheelchair/ECV, so renting one is not providing reasonable accomodations, where as the alternative waiting areas definitely is for my particular needs.

I get a GAC - but NOT because of my irritable bowel, my ankle implants, or my bad back. I do not have a mental disorder, so I don't understand where that one came from.

I have epilepsy. I get a GAC which states that:
1 -I can sit near an exit if lights should start to bother me at shows such as The Lion King.
2 - I can sit near an exit at a 3D show in case it should bother me.
3 - I can have low seating at things such as The Stunt Show at Disney Studios.

My GAC has never been a front of the line pass, nor would I ever consider trying to use it as such. I am really frustrated at your remark that a GAC is given for a mental disorder. I do NOT have a mental disorder. Thank you!
:rolleyes1

I have IBS and I never would have thought to get a GAC for it. I do have a lot of issues at Disney and many times have had to leave a ride line or run ahead to a bathroom while my family catches up. (I have awful memories of the last time we rode the ride in Mexico and I had to make a mad dash for the rest-room afterwards. I know where ALL the Disney bathrooms are)

Lately I have been using the Digestive Advantage medicine for IBS - you may want to give it a try to see if it helps you. Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Jill

I have similar issues, I just bring my old pass and they never question it.
People have been posting that WDW is no longer automatically giving a new Guest Assistance Card when you present one from a past trip.
The probable biggest reason for that is sales of GACs on ebay. Some people have gotten one and then tried to sell them on ebay, indicating that it can be 'renewed' just by bringing it to Guest Services.

Something that would probably help the OP better than a GAC would be using a service like TourGuide Mike (TGM, a Theme Park Sponsor) that helps in figuring out what is busy when. If the park you are at is busy, the restrooms will be too and having a GAC may help in the OP's situation, but being where it is not busy would be much more helpful. TGM has experience from being a WDW tour guide for many years and running his own touring company. His website service includes information to where to go when to avoid crowds.
Quite a few disABILITIES Board posters have used his service and found it very helpful.

I am really frustrated at your remark that a GAC is given for a mental disorder. I do NOT have a mental disorder. Thank you!
:rolleyes1

I Love Pluto-Don't take my original post the wrong way. I did not state that GACs are for mental disorders. The lady at guest services told me that they are trying to mainly use it for that reason. I do not have a mental disorder either, yet I have received a GAC in the past.

And I like the idea some of you said about getting a paper that says to come back at the equivalent amount of time of the line. Have you just asked for that in the past or do you have to have a GAC for that? The lines are just very difficult for me, whether it's because of the IBS alone, or almost passing out which leads to a flare up, but that would be great to be able to sit in the shade (near a restroom) instead of standing in line!

I Love Pluto-Don't take my original post the wrong way. I did not state that GACs are for mental disorders. The lady at guest services told me that they are trying to mainly use it for that reason. I do not have a mental disorder either, yet I have received a GAC in the past.

And I like the idea some of you said about getting a paper that says to come back at the equivalent amount of time of the line. Have you just asked for that in the past or do you have to have a GAC for that? The lines are just very difficult for me, whether it's because of the IBS alone, or almost passing out which leads to a flare up, but that would be great to be able to sit in the shade (near a restroom) instead of standing in line!

Maybe I am not understanding here, but it sounds like you are wanting a way to avoid waiting in line and that is not what a GAC does. It doesn't get you out of waiting in line. In some cases you end up waiting longer.

(I bolded your post) This is what a Fastpass does. You get a Fastpass, wait in the shade and then come back at the appointed time.

I agree with Sue on the planning guide. When the park is busy so is the bathroom!

Well first of all, I'm not trying to find a way to get out of lines, just standing in them-that's what leads to issues for me. But my concern is the rides that don't have fastpasses. We use the fastpass system when we go to the parks religiously. It's some of the others, just off the top of my head: Small World, Snow White, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Festival of the Lion King. These all have pretty long lines most of the time and that's what I've used the GAC for in the past when I was having a flare up.

My question was for rides like these will they give me a time to come back-or let half my family wait while I wait on the side with one other family member? This is not to say that I need this all the time, but I'm sure many of you understand that planning (such as knowing where every bathroom in the parks are) is essential to make that when a flare up occurs it doesn't ruin the rest of the day.

This may be off topic - but I don't understand why some people say the GAC is not for decreased wait in line.:confused3

breezy, I'm sure one of the mods can explain this better, but I'll give it a shot...

The GAC may shorten wait time, but it may not. Since everyone requesting a GAC gets it modified to fit their needs, that might not mean a shorter wait time. For some, it may even be a longer wait. It very much depends on the parties involved and their needs and the particular ride.

So "around these parts" it isn't a given that the GAC will shorten wait time, and it isn't presented as such, because we can't see each other and we aren't the CM's handing them out. The only time I've read here about kids getting consistently shorter wait times were the kids with Make-A-Wish.

I guess part of it is, too, that I have an 8-year-old with similar issues to your son, and it might be a problem if I read that you didn't have a wait, then when we got there our GAC was different and we did have to wait. I am comfortable in that, if I explain our situation exactly to the CM, our needs will be met, to the best of their ability. And that I can go back to them if we're still having a problem.

To the O/P, I can also sympathize with your problem. I have UC, and while it's controlled for now, for quite a while it wasn't. I knew every public bathroom in town. I'd go to buy groceries at Wal-Mart and have to stop at the front bathroom when I got there, the back bathroom halfway thru the trip, the front bathroom again before I got in the check-out line... :eek: and then jogging to the bathroom at home as soon as I got there. It really does mess up everything. DH and I went to an amusement park during that whole fun time, and I was a nervous wreck most of the day. I stopped in every bathroom we passed, wore a huge maxi-pad (like that really would have done any good), I was scared to eat, scared to go on the rides not only for the lines but worried about having an accident during the ride... I don't have an answer for you at all, but just so you know you're not the only one.

I guess no wait was not what I meant.

My post was simply to point out that sometimes a shorter wait is sometimes exactly what the disability calls for. I am just confused at the strong stance some people take on this board against using it for this purpose. Again, we couldn't do Disney without a GAC and I just wanted to tell other people out there who are using it for that purpose (disability related), that they're not the only ones. :goodvibes

I just found it. I'm not sure what type of GAC they issued us, but we went with a physicians note (I know you don't have to but we did) that read almost verbatum what is on pg.11 of the 2005 Passporter's Walt Disney World for your Special Needs book. The sample physicians note read identical to what our needs were so our physician agreed and issued one.

i think part of the battle disney faces is that diseases and conditions are so varied, they dont know what to do with all of them. for example, the OP's IBS may in fact necessitate a GAC. however, my mother's does not. that is because there is a spectrum for any condition. if i said i needed a GAC because of my period cramps, most people would think that is ridiculous. however, mine are so bad i am bed-bound for a day, because my muscles cramp to the point my legs literally will not hold me. i think disney is trying to be "tough" so every girl in the park doesnt get a GAC for a week out of a month, but still trying to be helpful...

i think it all just depends on who you are dealing with at the counter. it has been my experience that if you are not satisfied with the response of the person there, then you can ask for a manager, and usually that person is more informed as to what can be done to accommodate any need.

caveat: i am NOT in ANY WAY stating that i think the OP or anyone else is "faking" to get a GAC... i am just stating a possible reason why we have heard of some differences in the handling of GACs.

i think part of the battle disney faces is that diseases and conditions are so varied, they dont know what to do with all of them. for example, the OP's IBS may in fact necessitate a GAC. however, my mother's does not. that is because there is a spectrum for any condition. if i said i needed a GAC because of my period cramps, most people would think that is ridiculous. however, mine are so bad i am bed-bound for a day, because my muscles cramp to the point my legs literally will not hold me. i think disney is trying to be "tough" so every girl in the park doesnt get a GAC for a week out of a month, but still trying to be helpful...

i think it all just depends on who you are dealing with at the counter. it has been my experience that if you are not satisfied with the response of the person there, then you can ask for a manager, and usually that person is more informed as to what can be done to accommodate any need.

caveat: i am NOT in ANY WAY stating that i think the OP or anyone else is "faking" to get a GAC... i am just stating a possible reason why we have heard of some differences in the handling of GACs.
I think you have it exactly right.
Whatever condition you can think of, there will be people at both ends of symptoms/problems. Some will have none and others with the same condition will have lots of needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter