• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Store-Orlando Airport

Castlepixie

Mouseketeer
I am flying in the night before our cruise. Does anyone know when the Disney store closes at the airport? Our local Disney store just closed and I would like to pick up a few things. TIA

I think Castlepixie was wondering when it closes for good. Disney has been shutting down most of their retails stores.

The Orlando Airport web site still lists a "Walt Disney EarPort" in the East Hall.

Disney has NOT been shutting down "most of their retail stores". They have shut down stores in underperforming markets and stores where there were several in close proximaty to each other. They've also shut down stores in malls and other locations where they were unable to renegotiate favorabe leases.

The 5th Avenue Store in NYC was sold to Walt Disney World, and will carry a selection of WDW merchandies as well as being a portal for WDW information and bookings.

There are no current plans to shut down all Disney Stores. They have closed/will be closing about 15% of the stores in North America. Although Disney was interested in selling the stores, since changes in senior management took place last year, the stores have begun to show profitability again, and according to the latest annual report, they seem unsure if they want to continue to persue a sale.

Anne

I actually did need the airport store's closing time. The unfortunate closure of the Disney Store at our mall is frustrating!
Not surprised to hear it is happening across the U.S. I guess it will be online ordering for those of us in central Maine.:(

Originally posted by ducklite
The 5th Avenue Store in NYC was sold to Walt Disney World, and will carry a selection of WDW merchandies as well as being a portal for WDW information and bookings.

Am I the only one who does not see this as a bad thing? Let's hope they 'sell' more of them back to what the store was. :)

Oh, and btw, the Airport store is more of a WDW store than what the mall Disney Stores are, fyi. What were you hoping on picking up there, they don't exactly do a lot of princess or plush there.

At Orlando International Airport, there are two stores operated by Disney — the Magic of Disney in the West Hall, and the Disney Earport in the East Hall.

But these aren't Disney Stores. The struggling Disney Store chain is part of Disney's Consumer Products segment. As far as I know, the stores at the airport are part of Disney's Parks & Resorts segment.

Anything's possible, but I don't expect the stores at the airport to be affected by the closure of some of the stores in the over-extended Disney Store chain.

So shop for some Disney apparel and gifts at the airport, before or after your Disney Cruise.

Originally posted by Castlepixie

Does anyone know when the Disney store closes at the airport? Our local Disney store just closed and I would like to pick up a few things.
Originally posted by xnascar2x

According to the MCO Website, the store closes at 10PM.
Originally posted by Dave_from_Marietta

I think Castlepixie was wondering when it closes for good. Disney has been shutting down most of their retails stores.
Originally posted by Castlepixie

I actually did need the airport store's closing time.
Castlepixie... sorry I misunderstood your question. I'm glad xnascar2x correctly understood your question and was able to give you the information you needed.
Originally posted by ducklite

Disney has NOT been shutting down "most of their retail stores"... They have closed/will be closing about 15% of the stores in North America. Although Disney was interested in selling the stores, since changes in senior management took place last year, the stores have begun to show profitability again, and according to the latest annual report, they seem unsure if they want to continue to persue a sale.
ducklite... thanks for the info. As you noted, management had been considering the closure of all stores, and speculation of that possibility had been mentioned in the business press since Disney's been in the news for the last week. They've certainly closed some stores here in Atlanta. I'm glad that doesn't mean they're necessarily going to close the rest of them.
Originally posted by MarkRG

The Airport store is more of a WDW store than what the mall Disney Stores are, fyi. What were you hoping on picking up there, they don't exactly do a lot of princess or plush there.
MarkRG... good point. The MCO web site lists the Disney store at MCO as "Walt Disney EarPort" and categorizes the store as a "Apparel/Gifts" store. The name alone would seem to indicate that it isn't the same as the Disney Store you'd find in the malls where they remain open.

When we flew OUT on a Saturday night we were at the airport by 8, and the store was already closed. Dd was bummed out because i had promised her she would be able to shop when we got back to the airport--of course, this was in January of 2002.

Was just shopping there on Feb 14, the store is much better than it was before. Now that it is a World of Disney store. I had shopped at it before, and it was all Disney Store things with a few speciality Orlando things. This is WDW. Much better merchandise, so much to choose from. It is a wonderful store. Shop away. I did!!!!

Originally posted by Werner Weiss
But these aren't Disney Stores. The struggling Disney Store chain is part of Disney's Consumer Products segment. As far as I know, the stores at the airport are part of Disney's Parks & Resorts segment.

This is true :) They carry different merchandise than the Disney Store does. The merchandise is at WDW prices, which are generally 20-30% more expensive for a similar item. (Magic Towels sold at TDS are $2.50, at WDW they are $3.00, etc.)

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter