Disney Skyliner Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each gondola is equipped with an air conditioning unit that can last for 3-4 hours as well as an emergency speaker. So while you are correct that someone in need of attention might not get it immediately, I don't think being in the gondola itself would cause any problems.
What a picture perfect example of I read it on the internet it must be true!

Given that it was an RCFD member who was quoted in one of the articles I posted indicating that they were understaffed and this could have been a tragedy if it happened at noon, no, I don't think they have an adequate plan.

I’m sure they would of called other fire departments if needed.

I doubt the AC would survive 3 hours even if they did have it. It would have to be charged while passing through the stations much like the lights and sound is powered now. That’s why these AC systems aren’t reliable.

It should have been studied to have sufficient onboard energy storage, on the bottom of the gondolas, to at least reduce the temperatures "sufficiently" for up to the anticipated evacuation time. But, the sizing and charging of the energy storage is not a trivial task and has inherent dangers.

What if the plan was evacuate those in need and then get the system moving rather than a full evacuation?

Kind of a no win scenario though u think about it. 3 hours to evacuate 6 gondolas (if that article is correct) so they going to take that long to get those 6 but at same time more people going into need of help along the rest of the line.

lifting people up a mountain in a straight run is a little bit easier I would think then what Disney has going on with turns and multiple lines coming and out of an area.
I have no idea what length of time is considered proper or how and when it should have been open or if it was tested properly.
But I would think the testing would be way way way longer or more intense than a ski resort.

Turns and mid stations aren’t uncommon for longer Gondolas. Flat ground is, usually they go over canyons and cliff faces, hundreds of feet in the air in places with considerably worse weather than Florida weather outside of a hurricane. In nearly all cases, these systems start construction by mid April or May and are fully operational by mid to late November. That includes prep and demolishing the older systems, construction, and testing. Usually there is 1-2 months for prep (this can be longer depending on terrain), 2-4 months for construction, and 1 month for testing. And 8 hours for training. Disney has been testing these for longer than that entire process at this point. They have definitely tested them for a longer period than the average. Likely because Disney has their own reasons for wanting additional testing. They haven’t had a Gondola on site for quite some time and this system is very different than the Blizzard Beach chair lift. And most resorts aren’t opening more than 1-2 lifts at a time.

Speaking of that they may have decided to wait and just move the impacted offline and bring the rest through in the stations instead of evacuating which could have prolonged the process.

That doesn't quite instill confidence in me, seeing as how it took over three hours for them to get the impacted cars off the track and get most people out and onto the ground. Yes, it happened in the worst station where it's not easy, and yes this is the first time that it happened. But first impressions are important, and when it comes to a mass evacuation, the fact of the matter is this was a complete flop on their part.

If Disney is relying on this as their standard evacuation procedure, then they better find a way to execute it flawlessly at every station, every time of day, and in a much shorter period of time.

It should have been studied to have sufficient onboard energy storage, on the bottom of the gondolas, to at least reduce the temperatures "sufficiently" for up to the anticipated evacuation time. But, the sizing and charging of the energy storage is not a trivial task and has inherent dangers.
Dopplemayr isn’t new to this and they just aren’t a source of transportation that really does AC well. The only major system that has it that comes to immediate mind is in London. To my knowledge it’s not very reliable though.

That doesn't quite instill confidence in me, seeing as how it took over three hours for them to get the impacted cars off the track and get most people out and onto the ground. Yes, it happened in the worst station where it's not easy, and yes this is the first time that it happened. But first impressions are important, and when it comes to a mass evacuation, the fact of the matter is this was a complete flop on their part.

If Disney is relying on this as their standard evacuation procedure, then they better find a way to execute it flawlessly at every station, every time of day, and in a much shorter period of time.
The timing could have been because they waited for evaluation from RCFD and Dopplemayr and then got the 6 cabins in need cleared. Obviously it took a long time from our perspective. I would imagine they would’ve had more response if a full like evacuation was needed.

Don't laugh that exactly how I’ve operated on travelers under some major suspension bridges in the northeast.

The timing could have been because they waited for evaluation from RCFD and Dopplemayr and then got the 6 cabins in need cleared. Obviously it took a long time from our perspective. I would imagine they would’ve had more response if a full like evacuation was needed.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree.

You can't design these vehicles to require movement for proper insulation and airflow to ensure guest safety.

And then turn around and say they might have to sit on the track, not moving, for a couple hours in the event of an accident while an evaluation is ongoing.

Dopplemayr isn’t new to this and they just aren’t a source of transportation that really does AC well. The only major system that has it that comes to immediate mind is in London. To my knowledge it’s not very reliable though.

Then maybe Disney shouldn't have wasted their money on this. I mean, any idiot should have known this was a possible scenario. If you can't have a reliable system that provides potentially life-saving cool air in the event of a breakdown in one of the warmest places in the US.... then I dunno, maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't build it?

Kind of a no win scenario though u think about it. 3 hours to evacuate 6 gondolas (if that article is correct) so they going to take that long to get those 6 but at same time more people going into need of help along the rest of the line.
We obviously don’t know specifics but if a full evacuation was needed I would imagine they may have called in more response. I would imagine during the day they have more people available for this type of situation. Again we don’t know the specifics and a lot of this thread is just speculating.

Wow, I don't have anything else to say except I can't imagine wanting to be right that badly.
Exactly! Not to mention there is a difference between torque and momentum, the later of which is mass X velocity, so speed is 1 of the factors). I'm sure no one that was stuck was glad it's not smooth sailing.

Since my post was removed and I was given a warning based on an adjective found in every dictionary on the web (one which I even censored myself), let me share again that Disney and the evac folks probably did use this as the plan - keeping everyone on board unless evac needed.

And to make sure the post is acceptable, I will say this plan was and is horrible, unconscionable, terrible, immoral, ill-conceived, short-sighted, unreasonable, and just plain bad. It is a disaster waiting to happen in July if they can't cool or evac these gondolas in a rapid amount of time.

What a picture perfect example of I read it on the internet it must be true!
What an incredible assumption you are making and what a fantastically spectacular way to be wrong and insulting at the same time. Truly, such rudeness is completely uncalled for. I cited my source, the owner of the DIS himself shared this information on the podcast. I repeated it. I apologize that it was not correct, but it was hardly an example of me regurgitating something I found on randomwebsite.net.

They were likely trying to avoid an evacuation altogether.

We obviously don’t know specifics but if a full evacuation was needed I would imagine they may have called in more response. I would imagine during the day they have more people available for this type of situation. Again we don’t know the specifics and a lot of this thread is just speculating.
I would think worse comes to worse and it's like unbearable heat in the middle of the day, they would have construction workers being cherry pickers come and help get people down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter