Disney Skyliner Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the main skyliner thread a few days ago the discussion moved to how crowded the skyliner is and how maybe Disney should consider limiting it to resort guests. Something tells me that one’s been solved for the foreseeable future...
There will be a lot of psychic energy directed at the Gondola by some riders hoping for breakdown and cash in but that will be balanced by the majority just enjoying the ride and Disney vibe.

Sorry but spare me. I mean yes, perhaps to a point, testing only does so much. But there's no excuse for a brand new attraction to have as much down time as it's had this week, let alone a crash. There's a problem somewhere. They better suck it up and do the right thing and put these out of service until it's found.
I thin
I was thinking the same thing. If it was 3pm in July or August it would be real feel of 110 outside and probably 120 or 130 in a stuck gondola.
July ? August? I was thinking on the thunderstorm they roll in everyday during those months and 3 hours is a long wait dangling in the middle of the storm.

And I think what many don’t realize is that being stuck for this length of time has the potential for triggering phobias.
And causing illness. I have family that struggles with bladder issues. Holding it this long would cause major medical issues. Then the embarrassment of having to go in front of people you don’t know so you don’t end up in the ER. This is why I think Disney needs to do more than $100. 3.5 hours is A LONG time to be trapped in a small metal box with no restrooms.

The biggest challenge will be the water rescues going to Epcot, not sure if the have a special boat with an aerial bucket to cherry pick people out of the cabs, or if they will just slowly walk the cabs to the Epcot station. Can’t imagine how tough the evacuations will be for the older people on the skykliner and the really small children. I’m sure the local FD are doing a great job, hope everyone is ok.
The fire department already complained about the lack of plans on Disney side for water rescues for gondolas. It’s an official statement so no they might have the special boat but it might not be enough from the fire department views :(

Just to dial things back a bit, we should remember the scope of this. A few cars got crunched together, but did not hurt anyone. People got inconvenienced to varying degrees, depending on their personal needs and the time it took to get them off. For some it was a terrible event, but I am sure for most it was a 'well damn' along with a good vacation story to tell.

Does this show that Disney needs to give the system a thorough once over? Of course. The heat issue concerns me. The need to have faster evacuations concerns me. But some posts have reached the dogs and cats living together level. This was a bad thing. But it wasn't a BAD THING. (For anyone wondering, my definition of BAD THING is a cable snapping and gondolas falling out of the sky. There are much, much worse things than having to hold it for a couple of hours.)

ETA: From what I've seen, the $100 figure doesn't apply to everyone. I've seen other numbers in other places. I suspect the compensation will vary by how long the person was stuck, and whether it had a greater than normal impact. Someone who had a panic attack or had to use the 'waste bags' will be treated more generously than someone who had to sit for a while.

Last edited:
@Poor Gail I think once we know how the heck it happened, we'll all "feel better". I probably would have dealt with being stuck but I'm not sure my 3 year old would. I'd also prefer to be stuck than evac in a cherry picker. I can deal with being stuck in a flying sky oven, evac in a cherry picker, nope. I'd have them evac EVERYONE ELSE and then choose to wait until the line started moving again.

It looked like the gondolas that stacked up together were all empty. ETA: Although I'm not sure, the only reports we have are from the internets

As a resale member, I find this Skyliner mess hilarious. Any sales momentum Riviera had is going to come to a screeching halt just like the Skyliner did.
As another resale member, I find your statement to be rather insensitive. As much as I dislike the current attitude toward resale purchasers, I find nothing humorous about last night’s incident and the impact it had on the trapped guests.

I'm definitely interested to hear what they determine to have been the root cause - if they release it. I was "iffy" about riding it in the first place as I'm not a big fan of enclosed spaces and this has not helped. In terms of overall impact on the # using the skyliner once it reopens, I'm not sure it will have a big impact. The average guest - even those on property now - is probably completely unaware of this incident.

Someone who had a panic attack or had to use the 'waste bags' will be treated more generously than someone who had to sit for a while.

Interesting if a/the compensation strategy is based on this. I could see future system failures where people could take advantage of this (referencing the waste bags). If I use the waste bag then $$$$, if not = $. I think that sets a bad precedent.

Just to dial things back a bit, we should remember the scope of this. A few cars got crunched together, but did not hurt anyone. People got inconvenienced to varying to degrees, depending on their personal needs and the time it took to get them off. For some it was a terrible event, but I am sure for most it was a 'well damn' along with a good vacation story to tell.

Does this show that Disney needs to give the system a thorough once over? Of course. The heat issue concerns me. The need to have faster evacuations concerns me. But some posts have reached the dogs and cats living together level. This was a bad thing. But it wasn't a BAD THING. (For anyone wondering, my definition of BAD THING is a cable snapping and gondolas falling out of the sky. There are much, much worse things than having to hold it for a couple of hours.)

ETA: From what I've seen, the $100 figure doesn't apply to everyone. I've seen other numbers in other places. I suspect the compensation will vary by how long the person was stuck, and whether it had a greater than normal impact. Someone who had a panic attack or had to use the 'waste bags' will be treated more generously than someone who had to sit for a while.

No it WAS a BAD THING. A gondola snapping off and falling would be a TRAGIC THING.

I like your distinction between bad and BAD. If you remember something that happened after a year and think oh well-then it was bad. If you remember something after a year and break out in a cold sweat from the memory-then it was BAD.

As you wrote this was bad and maybe even bad in subscript font.

It’s not an attraction, it’s a form of transportation they’re literally telling you to take instead of buses. I posted this photo the other day from our stay at POP:
You're maybe forgetting that to some disney fans even the buses are attractions!

Last edited:
So you hear about these companies, groups, whatever, in their heyday and then some super tragic thing happens and the group is just destroyed. Hopefully this isn't that turning point for Disney but between their rising prices, lowered 'magic', failures with SWGE and now this, I can't help but wonder. Disney does not have a very good name for itself right now.
I listen to a podcast called Spectacular Failures. Can’t help but wonder if Skyliner would make a good episode one day

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter