Disney Ships are Classy!

Okay children, I simply started this thread to express my opinion about external appearances of the ships. Take your arguments about other aspects of the lines to another thread. Don't hijack this thread.

BTW, that was my opinion. If you like the others, say so. Argue elsewhere.

Clear skies and smooth seas (forgot the seas potion first go around since usually post on aviation sites)

Chad

Okay children, I simply started this thread to express my opinion about external appearances of the ships. Take your arguments about other aspects of the lines to another thread. Don't hijack this thread.

BTW, that was my opinion. If you like the others, say so. Argue elsewhere.

Clear skies and smooth seas (forgot the seas potion first go around since usually post on aviation sites)

Chad

Ummmm, so basically if we agree with you about the appearances of the ships we are OK to post here. But if we disagree with you or have a perspective on other aspects of the ships we should go elsewhere. You do realize this is a discussion board don't you?

I'm very interested in other peoples opinion on the different ships/lines.

I don't know if any of y'all (you guys for those Yankees out there! :thumbsup2) but Carnival has a new ship soon called Carnival Breeze. I looked at the renderings and it looks sooo much more classy. Not all that in your face Vegas style neon and traditional Carnival decor.

I think carnival is trying to go away from the Las vegas neon decor on their older ships. The guy (who was with carnival for like 20 years) specialized in that stuff so they stuck with him. Now it a bit more classy. Honestly I like it better.

but there is no doubt in my mind that Disney has the best decor. Its something that sets DCL apart

There are lots of CHILDREN on DCL ships !

Copyof101_1001.jpg

J_11SE152.gif
J_11SE152.gif
J_11SE152.gif
J_11SE152.gif
:confused3

jrm11697,

The Breeze look's similar to the Dream but with some nicer rounded edge's on her aft, not so blunt:

Carniva_Breeze.png

BREEZE-RENDERING.jpg

3962996154_bd959a0ab4_o.jpg

Interesting how her lifeboats appear to be in free air over the water rather than on hydraulic ram's to push them out.

She does look really sleek and much nicer incomparision to they're previous ships! :thumbsup2

Now just that whale tail smoke stack!!!! lol!

Ex Techie :)

Disney_Magic_2.jpg

jrm11697,

The Breeze look's similar to the Dream but with some nicer rounded edge's on her aft, not so blunt:

Carniva_Breeze.png

BREEZE-RENDERING.jpg

3962996154_bd959a0ab4_o.jpg

Interesting how her lifeboats appear to be in free air over the water rather than on hydraulic ram's to push them out.

She does look really sleek and much nicer incomparision to they're previous ships! :thumbsup2

Now just that whale tail smoke stack!!!! lol!

Disney_Magic_2.jpg

OMG there go the children again :scared1: putting OVERSIZED pictures of the Magic on the DIS :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

OMG there go the children again :scared1: putting OVERSIZED pictures of the Magic on the DIS :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I think if you weren't so busy trolling and showing your shock, you would see the picture of the Carnival Dream is actually larger than the picture of the Magic.
If I were hosting them, I would be able to resize them all the same size to suit you, but alas they are link's from websites.

As the thread is about DCL ship's and their exteriors, and Carnival's new design's have been mentioned, a comparative of both is appropriate IMO.

Have fun mickey2000,

I think if you weren't so busy trolling and showing your shock, you would see the picture of the Carnival Dream is actually larger than the picture of the Magic.
If I were hosting them, I would be able to resize them all the same size to suit you, but alas they are link's from websites.

As the thread is about DCL ship's and their exteriors, and Carnival's new design's have been mentioned, a comparative of both is appropriate IMO.

Have fun mickey2000,

I can only see picture #1 and #3 ! Don't be so serious ! There was an earlier poster that called us children which I was refering to !
I'm a troll ??????????????

Hmmm, to respond or not.

When did prices of cruises, etc. == exterior styles of ships? Dander was beginning to get worked up with the picking of the nits about things not related to the exterior appearances of the ships, which is the topic.

I hope folks do express their opinions about the various exterior appearances of the ships. I even enjoyed the commentary on the folks who were bundled up on the ships as they were departing...I noticed that too and it was far different than ours when we sailed last Sept.

There's a nice button that indicates a new topic can be started if you click it.

So to answer the question about if I understand if this is a discussion forum (or however you phrased it), yes. I could respond with the same question to you, but since that isn't on topic, I won't.

This is how I look at it. Quality > Quantity. I hope DCL keeps a small fleet to make the classic look feel just as prestigous as it's felt for the past fourteen years. You just can't win a fight between a solid white and turn of the century old timey feel.

Hmmm, to respond or not.

When did prices of cruises, etc. == exterior styles of ships? Dander was beginning to get worked up with the picking of the nits about things not related to the exterior appearances of the ships, which is the topic.

I happen to like white cruise ships, and I think the shape of most Royal Caribbean ships is an attractive one. As I posted earlier, the Disney Dream looks pretty similar in shape to RCI's Freedom-class ships. The Carnival Sensation that sails from Port Canaveral (and most here have dissed) is almost 20 years old (1993), and most ships from that time period don't have many balcony cabins. Carnival's newer ships have come a long way in the looks department. Other large, white ships aren't as attractive - especially when they have a very boxy stern. However, I don't pick my cruises based on the prettiness factor of the ship. As much as I admire the exterior beauty of Disney's ships, that alone won't get me to sail with DCL if I feel their cruises are overpriced.

I happen to like white cruise ships, and I think the shape of most Royal Caribbean ships is an attractive one. As I posted earlier, the Disney Dream looks pretty similar in shape to RCI's Freedom-class ships. The Carnival Sensation that sails from Port Canaveral (and most here have dissed) is almost 20 years old (1993), and most ships from that time period don't have many balcony cabins. Carnival's newer ships have come a long way in the looks department. Other large, white ships aren't as attractive - especially when they have a very boxy stern. However, I don't pick my cruises based on the prettiness factor of the ship. As much as I admire the exterior beauty of Disney's ships, that alone won't get me to sail with DCL if I feel their cruises are overpriced.

You've made that Dream vs. FOTS point twice and I have yet to agree with you.

Freedom_of_the_Seas_2008-11-12.JPG

Disney-Dream-exterior-DCL.jpg

Of the photos you posted, I think Freedom of the Seas has the nicer shape! ;) It's all in the camera angle.

Freedom of the Seas from the side:
Freedom_of_the_Seas_2012-02-02.jpg

Here's a better side view of the Dream:
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/disney-dream-cruise-ship/p47821-disney-dream-cruise-sh.html

That is an artist's concept and not a photo. Full side-view photos of the Dream aren't easy to find. DCL shows it from an angle so it doesn't appear to be so long.

The Disney Dream is 1,115 feet long (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/), and Freedom of the Seas is 1,112 feet long (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=FR&br=R).

The Dream is much more attractive in that comparison. From the extended bow, the 2 funnels and the color scheme The Freedom isnt even the same league. It's ultra modern, all white, stubbier, with a big RCCL billboard on the side. It's like someone sucked the design and sense of esthetics right out of it. I suppose esthetics is subjective, blah, blah. Whatever, the Dream is the much better designed ship. The imagineers and Eisner at the beginning made sure of that. Kudos to them.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion then. The classic bow and stern that the Dream and Fantasy both sport seem much more elegant to me than the flat-font bow and awkwardly chunked stern that most of the Carnival ships have. The paint job looks much sleeker on the Disney ships, than the dull white that Carnival, NCL and others have. Compare the DCL ships and Carnival ships with old time ships (titanic, brittanic, rms queen mary) and you can tell the true luxury. :)

DCL Board Basics

Treat your fellow posters with respect. We all have our own opinions and all opinions are welcome as long as they are posted in a respectful manner. It is also helpful to read an entire thread before posting. What might have been a heated discussion on the first couple of pages might have been resolved later on and just posting to the original post just frustrates the other posters. Remember that what is right for one poster and their situation might not be right for others.

Stay on topic. Often as part of the cruise planning experience you might have questions on other things like WDW, transportation, or photography. There are separate boards set up on the DIS for all those topics and you will get your best answers on those boards. At times a post may be moved from the cruise forums to one of these other boards with a redirect so that you can find your post.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1010690

DIS Board Basics

4. NO FIGHTING/SARCASM

While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction

This also includes No Name Calling

http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

Thanks for your cooperation!

Remember if you don't like a post in a thread, rather than start an argument with the poster use the Report Post 'button' for the mods to take a look at the post. It keeps the threads on a friendly note.

Of the photos you posted, I think Freedom of the Seas has the nicer shape! ;) It's all in the camera angle.

Freedom of the Seas from the side:
Freedom_of_the_Seas_2012-02-02.jpg

Here's a better side view of the Dream:
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/disney-dream-cruise-ship/p47821-disney-dream-cruise-sh.html

That is an artist's concept and not a photo. Full side-view photos of the Dream aren't easy to find. DCL shows it from an angle so it doesn't appear to be so long.

The Disney Dream is 1,115 feet long (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/dream/), and Freedom of the Seas is 1,112 feet long (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=FR&shipCode=FR&br=R).

Each to their own and I respect that.

disney-magic-freedom-of-the-seas-glory-st-thomas-u-s-virgin-islands+1152_12841707133-tpfil02aw-28690.jpg

ships07.jpg

106218_big.jpg

0108ZZ_0579DR.jpg

Freedom_of_the_Seas_(ship,_2007)_001.jpg

It's all about taste and everyone's if different

I guess it's just a matter of opinion then. The classic bow and stern that the Dream and Fantasy both sport seem much more elegant to me than the flat-font bow and awkwardly chunked stern that most of the Carnival ships have. The paint job looks much sleeker on the Disney ships, than the dull white that Carnival, NCL and others have. Compare the DCL ships and Carnival ships with old time ships (titanic, brittanic, rms queen mary) and you can tell the true luxury. :)

I do like the dark hull on DCL's ships and on Holland America's ships. HAL's older/smaller ships are more attractive to me than their newer/larger ships. In the same way, the Magic and Wonder are cuter than the Dream and Fantasy. When you make a ship a lot longer, it loses some of its beauty. Fortunately, when I cruise - I spend most of my time enjoying the interior of the ship. Even not so attractive on the outside Norwegian Epic (http://www.shipparade.com/az/Norwegian_Epic/Norwegian_Epic_2012-01-24.jpg) has some lovely interiors.

HAL's older/smaller ships are more attractive to me than their newer/larger ships. In the same way, the Magic and Wonder are cuter than the Dream and Fantasy. When you make a ship a lot longer, it loses some of its beauty...

Agreed. As far as exterior designs go, the Magic/Wonder are better proportioned in their design than the Dream/Fantasy. They're all pretty, but DCL's design is certainly based on early transatlantic ocean liners which were much smaller compared to today's Dream and Fantasy.

Agreed. As far as exterior designs go, the Magic/Wonder are better proportioned in their design than the Dream/Fantasy. They're all pretty, but DCL's design is certainly based on early transatlantic ocean liners which were much smaller compared to today's Dream and Fantasy.

It's all good for everyone then!

DCL are not trying to look modern, but classic and as classy as the golden age cruise liners but be cruise ships!

Everyone's happy from hardcore DCL fan's, to cruise on whatever line suit's my budget and goes where I want to hardcore Carnival/RC/HAL fans! who like those exteriors and love the interiors!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter