Disney Ride Ideas

stemikger

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if this is the place to put this, but here goes. I know Disney Imagineering Technology Group is the best there is, but I often wonder what they were thinking on some of the real failures and I wonder why they can't incorporate some different technology that will make dark rides much more interesting.

When I think of the Mission Space price tag and when I went on the ride, I was appalled that they paid this much for this ride. I confess due to my high blood pressure I could not experience the spinning version, but from what I understand a huge population could not experience it either. Not sure why the didn't realize this before some real serious issues occurred during the first year of the ride and sadly including I believe two fatalities. Well I went on the non-spinning ride and was extremely underwhelmed. It reminded me of a simulator I saw in a mall arcade in the 90s.

So I tried it again and after they put the shoulder harness on me, their was a 5 to 10 minute delay on the ride. So now, I'm strapped in and the fan stops for about 3 minutes. I used to be claustrophobic and being in a position where I could not turn around and feeling like I was in a coffin, made me realize I could never go on that ride again. I had a full blown anxiety attack. I'm glad it started when it did because I would have lost it.

So I wonder why the Imagineers did not see this during the designing of this ride.

O.K. Sorry for rambling. Here is a couple of ideas I have for the traditional dark ride. Being Peter Pan's flight comes close to this idea but not quite, why not have the cars feel like they are floating in space while going through the ride (kind of what Spaceship Earth feels like at one point). Or why not, have the cars on the track drop every now and then (nothing extreme) but do it randomly to make it more exciting. These little things would make dark rides real interesting without going the traditional thrill ride route and lastly, I know this is probably not feasible, but wouldn't it be cool, if they designed a harness that you can wear that has you experience the ride without being in a vehicle. I know the last one is far fetched and would probably not be practical but one could dream.

For the record, not to be unfair to Disney, although I think Mission Space is a failure I think Soarin is one of their hits!

Thanks for reading.

I'm sure 60 years ago when Peter Pan was thought up it was pretty advanced. Now people love it for the nostalgia. I haven't been on mission space so I can't comment on that one. My son went on I think orange and looked pretty woozy...lol

Of the two people that died, one had an undiagnosed heart condition, the other had diagnosed high blood pressure and ignored the warnings. More people have died on Disneyland's Rivers of America than WDW's Mission Space and an equal number have died on.... The people mover.
The ride only pulls about 2.6gs, which is considerably less than Rock N Roller Coaster which pulls 4.5. Like all spinners, the ride tends to have a high nausea factor.

I happen to love Mission Space, both sides. To each their own!!

Of the two people that died, one had an undiagnosed heart condition, the other had diagnosed high blood pressure and ignored the warnings. More people have died on Disneyland's Rivers of America than WDW's Mission Space and an equal number have died on.... The people mover.
The ride only pulls about 2.6gs, which is considerably less than Rock N Roller Coaster which pulls 4.5. Like all spinners, the ride tends to have a high nausea factor.

I think the fact that the spinning version tricks the brain probably makes it feel worse. I am sure many like this ride, but I hope Disney doesn't go overboard with thrill rides. So far the balance seems pretty good, but Disney is so much more than a place to go on rides.

I think the fact that the spinning version tricks the brain probably makes it feel worse. I am sure many like this ride, but I hope Disney doesn't go overboard with thrill rides. So far the balance seems pretty good, but Disney is so much more than a place to go on rides.

and yet your OP is proposing adding more "mini thrills" (unexpected little drops) to the dark rides :confused3 For many little kids, and even some older people, that is too much for them. I love that Disney has some super gentle rides as well as some medium and some thrills. A little for everyone :goodvibes

I don't think you need to worry about them concentrating on only adding thrill rides- lots of the newer additions are not thrill rides.

For the record, I think the wimpy version of Mission Space is much better than any mall simulator I have ever been on, and the real deal is awesome but more than I can take any more (but my teens adore it).
It is claustrophobic if you get stuck in it (we were for nearly 30 minutes once) but, well, any ride can get stuck and they warn you and warn you. If you have had issues with confined spaces previously and choose to go on it, well, that is a risk you take and not really Disney's fault.

and yet your OP is proposing adding more "mini thrills" (unexpected little drops) to the dark rides :confused3 For many little kids, and even some older people, that is too much for them. I love that Disney has some super gentle rides as well as some medium and some thrills. A little for everyone :goodvibes

I don't think you need to worry about them concentrating on only adding thrill rides- lots of the newer additions are not thrill rides.

For the record, I think the wimpy version of Mission Space is much better than any mall simulator I have ever been on, and the real deal is awesome but more than I can take any more (but my teens adore it).
It is claustrophobic if you get stuck in it (we were for nearly 30 minutes once) but, well, any ride can get stuck and they warn you and warn you. If you have had issues with confined spaces previously and choose to go on it, well, that is a risk you take and not really Disney's fault.

I can't do Mission Space or any ride like that--I can't even do Soarin'. Darn motion sickness. I can't watch Deadliest Catch, because the boat rocking does something to my brain and then my tummy. :rotfl2:

I can handle the small drop on POTC, but I can't do Space Mountain. I've been on POTC dozens of times, and that small drop still scares me. No more thrills, thank you.

You want thrills, go to Busch Gardens or Universal.

I have to say it bothers me when people expect EVERY Disney attraction to be one size fits all. Not talking about literal size but that they must appeal to all. I love the family attractions AND the thrills. If a particular attraction isn't your cup of tea, then move on to the next one.

It's all subjective. IMO, Disney doesn't even have any thrill rides. Their definition of "thrill" is extremely tame by my standards. So maybe that would be my choice -- bring in a few rides for the thrill seekers.

Mission Space is one of my favorites and I think Soarin' is hugely overrated.

Being Peter Pan's flight comes close to this idea but not quite, why not have the cars feel like they are floating in space while going through the ride (kind of what Spaceship Earth feels like at one point).
But why? Thats not the intent or desired result for this attraction. Guests who want a floating feeling like Peter Pan can enjoy, well, Peter Pan.
not to be unfair to Disney, although I think Mission Space is a failure
Disney doesnt, because they revamped (instead of replaced) it, for the enjoyment of an even wider guest base.
I was thinking this was a place for people to throw out their own ride ideas, but I guess not. Anyone know if there is a discussion anywhere of that?
As indicated in the forum description, its "...a discussion forum for any topic..." You offered your thoughts, others are responding with their own ideas.

Disney was never meant to really be a thrill park, it was intended to be a family park, and families don't all want just thrills. Jumping off with the Peter Pan ride, which I really like, it just has too low of a capacity. Families (mine included) love these types of rides to enjoy together with even their youngest of kids. I'd like to see more rides like this in the parks, with a slightly higher capacity, and beyond just Magic Kingdom. It seems like they are age grouping the parks right now - MK for young families, DHS for teens and young adults, EPCOT for adults only (minor exceptions like Frozen), and AK as a weird mix of all ages.

Are there other technologies, besides cars, overhead rail, omnimovers or boar rides that can keep things fairly tame and still provide forward motion?

So you want less 'thrill rides' but you want to add random drops into Peter Pan? That seems contradictory.

I do
So you want less 'thrill rides' but you want to add random drops into Peter Pan? That seems contradictory.

Where did I say it needed drops? I was just saying that any ride for families that almost constantly has an hour wait, should find a way to have its capacity increased. That's why I was asking if there are other options for slow moving rides other than the ones I listed.

I do

Where did I say it needed drops? I was just saying that any ride for families that almost constantly has an hour wait, should find a way to have its capacity increased. That's why I was asking if there are other options for slow moving rides other than the ones I listed.

Not you, the original poster said:
Here is a couple of ideas I have for the traditional dark ride. Being Peter Pan's flight comes close to this idea but not quite, why not have the cars feel like they are floating in space while going through the ride (kind of what Spaceship Earth feels like at one point). Or why not, have the cars on the track drop every now and then (nothing extreme) but do it randomly to make it more exciting

Not you, the original poster said:
Here is a couple of ideas I have for the traditional dark ride. Being Peter Pan's flight comes close to this idea but not quite, why not have the cars feel like they are floating in space while going through the ride (kind of what Spaceship Earth feels like at one point). Or why not, have the cars on the track drop every now and then (nothing extreme) but do it randomly to make it more exciting

I completely missed that, even though I had read through all of them. Short-term memory loss. ughh. My apologies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter