Disney Retirement Villages?

Tom and Jen... There is a planned retirement community about 1 1/2 hours away from WDW called The Villages. My parents are looking at it next month. They are not affiliated with Disney at all, but the person who my step-father talked with told him that they did alot of research into the way Disney runs their operations and they have modeled alot of their community around it.

A Disney retirement community .....sounds like it would be a win/win situation. Just think of that pool of retires who would work part time at WDW for "minne"- mum wage, not to mention the children and grandchildren that would be coming down to visit gramps and grandma and of course HAVE to go to the parks!

There is a senior living/retirement complex near us that we looked at for in-laws. As we were walking around DH commented "this is DisneyWorld for seniors".

They had studios, 1 BR, 2Br and 3BR. All units had kitchens and washer/dryers but there were also 3 "restaurants" in the complex. You "bought in" at prices starting at around $50,000 and going significantly higher for the 3BR. Then there was a monthly charge beginning at around $1200 (I think) and going higher. But, for that you got "X" meals/week at the restaurants of your choice, 24 hour security, plus there were a lot of game rooms, craft classes, investment seminars, senior aerobics, a band, almost every activity you can think of.

As we were walking around we almost got knocked over by 2 little old ladies and their walkers. They were on their way to their daily bridge game. They also have organized trips to Orioles games, New York, gambling trips, etc.

There are also assisted living units and a nursing home in the complex and the "buy in" guarantees you a spot when/if you get to that point in life. And, when you no longer need any unit (death), the buy-in is refunded to your estate or heirs.

Now, if it were only AT Disney!

Originally posted by Tom and Jen
I thought I read somewhere here, that there is another type of community/developemnet going in around Celebration are that is something like you mention.

I forgot the name of it, but it was a community of homes, retirment/seasonal vacation homes? I don't recall, but it was a development other thatn Celebration and I am not sure if Disney had their mitts in it.

Maybe someone else has some better info.......

T.

I believe the name of the community you are thinking about is Reunion. It is next to Celebration.

BTW, Celebration briefly thought about an active adult section of the community. The people they polled were soundly against it.

luv34747... I was going to mention Reunion as well, but it is not a retirement community. It is big on the Seasonal home thing though.

Reunion it is. But that is more like a combination Celebration/DVC. Not a retirement place at all.

It would be wonderful for Disney to be in that business but I don't think they'd do it. They backed out of going whole hog into the timeshare business and have concentrated only at WDW. They are also getting out of running Celebration. I don't think they'd branch into the retirement business. In fact, Marriott is getting out of the assisted living business in our area. I guess it's too expensive and too competitive. Sunrise has taken over their place here. Marriott does still own a place where you actually buy your apartment but they have sold their Brighton Gardens unit.

But, along this topic. Roy Disney may be offering us something else...CREMATION! Reuters is reporting that Roy Disney's private investment company, Apogee Cos. is in talks to buy the cremation company Neptune Society, Inc.(based in California) for $8.5 million! Wonder if he'll have Mickeky urns. ;)

Originally posted by Terry S
Tom and Jen... There is a planned retirement community about 1 1/2 hours away from WDW called The Villages. My parents are looking at it next month.

A teacher friend of Cindy's just retired and moved to the Villages 2 months ago, and she LOVES it. We are going to visit them this summer and check it out. It does have an age limit of 55 though. Here is a link for the Villages below.;)

http://www.thevillages.com/models/models.asp

If someone wants to be close to WDW and not in a "retirement community"..........check out this area near WDW called "Bellalago" that we are considering when we retire in 4 years. After you click on the link....click on location to see how close it is to WDW.

http://www.mybellalago.com/web/index.shtml

We would LOVE a timeshare version of Disney retirement! I always thought it would be great to have enough points to spend the winter at OKW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter