Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to provide one. Doesn't mean you're on that flight.

You won't have Disney luggage tags, etc. They won't allow you load your own luggage, and your luggage doesn't travel on the same bus with you.

Just got off the phone with someone I had been working with at Diney Guest Services in regards to an issue we had on the last trip. Her response was that this is a standard in the industry, that they have been charging for parking at their resorts in California and Hawaii for some time, and that other resorts around them charge for parking so this is not a new concept. I expressed my disappointment with their new policy and told them our vacation dollars would be spent elsewhere and she said our comments would be noted. So in other words what I get is, we are doing it and we don't care.

She did confirm that reservations made before the start date of the fee will not be charged for parking.

You won't have Disney luggage tags, etc. They won't allow you load your own luggage, and your luggage doesn't travel on the same bus with you.
If you aren't using the luggage service, your luggage goes on the same bus as you. People are allowed to collect their own bags and take it on the bus with them. They just don't put the yellow tags on their luggage.

You can just pick any old flight and say you're on it. They don't check with the airlines to make sure you were on that flight. You would have to handle your own luggage, of course.

You cannot handle your own luggage. Sure, you can get it off the luggage carousel yourself, but you still have to check it with DME at the airport. Not sure if they would allow it onboard or not when they see you're not registered with them.

By significantly expanding the 60-day FP plus access and charging parking fees, it sure feels like Disney is trying to drive people off site.
We've stayed onsite for decades. I remember when the Grand Floridian was being built. But now I'm hard pressed to find a reason to stay onsite when I can get the same FP access at a downtown Disney hotel and I will have to pay for parking. Lots of really nice hotels available for cheaper.

If you aren't using the luggage service, your luggage goes on the same bus as you. People are allowed to collect their own bags and take it on the bus with them. They just don't put the yellow tags on their luggage.

If you aren't registered as being on DME, would they allow you to ride, though?

They absolutely allow you to bring your luggage onto the DME - it goes in the luggage compartment under the bus just like on a greyhound bus or something like that. Multiple times we've used DME when not actually flying in. We just found a flight time around the same time we'd be getting to the airport. Easy peasy.

All you have to do is give them fake flight info. Have you ever used DME? You can register and give them any flight information.

Only once, thank goodness. We are fortunate to be close enough to drive in.

Consider me corrected.

If you aren't registered as being on DME, would they allow you to ride, though?

Yes, if you have a Disney resort reservation. Whether you have registered a flight time or not. It just helps if you do, because the process takes longer if you don't. And yes you can bring your own luggage.

I've seen so much of DVC members complaining that the free dining promo doesn't apply to us, maybe now I have to see everybody who doesn't drive to WDW complaining that a free parking promo doesn't apply to them?

No, not the CYA on the website .............. the big Disney Blog Announcement when they share their news.
Hop, I've been wondering how they would word this one myself. That was actually the first thing I thought.
"constantly adjusting to fit with the needs of our guests", "providing exciting new choices", . . . . . .

But I do think one of the consequences will be a closer policing of day guests' vehicles to prevent resort guests from simply choosing to "enjoy select experiences" all night long.

and lest we forget, $24 becomes $27 once the room tax is applied . . . . .

You cannot handle your own luggage. Sure, you can get it off the luggage carousel yourself, but you still have to check it with DME at the airport. Not sure if they would allow it onboard or not when they see you're not registered with them.

You register for DME. You tell them you're on SW flight XX, arriving at 4pm. They expect you at around 4:30. You show up with your bags at about that time (regardless of how you got to the airport) and give them your luggage when you get to the DME check-in area. They put it on the bus.

See your state's disabled parking placard rules, but generally they're for mobility disabilities. In Massachusetts:
To obtain disability plates, a placard or a disability veteran plate, you must be a Massachusetts resident. A Massachusetts registered and licensed physician, chiropractor, registered nurse, physician's assistant, osteopath, optometrist (for legally blindness only) or podiatrist must certify that you meet one of the following conditions:

• Cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest.

• Cannot walk without the assistance of another person, prosthetic aid or other assistive device.

• Are restricted by lung disease to such a degree that your forced (respiratory) expiratory volume (FEV) in 1 second, when measured by spirometry, is less than 1 liter.

• Use portable oxygen.

• Have a Class III cardiac condition according to the standards set by the American Heart Association.

• Have a Class IV cardiac condition according to the standards set by the American Heart Association. A customer in this condition must surrender their license.

• Have Class III or Class IV functional arthritis according to the standards set by the American College of Rheumatology.

• Have Stage III or Stage IV anatomic arthritis according to the standards set by the American College of Rheumatology.

• Have been declared legally blind (please attach copy of certification). A customer in this classification must surrender their license.

• Have lost one or more limbs or permanently lost the use of one or more limbs.

I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that not every disability may be a physical one. I have some experience with PTSD and for a long while, crowded public transportation upset me to the point of severe panic attacks (although I was not on any Disney trip during this time period). Would someone not consider that person as having a disability of some sort? I hope I am not being offensive here, that is not my intent, but more that a lot of people experience what are considered disabilities that aren't physical ones and don't warrant a disabled placard. I guess what I'm saying is, it can be a murky line to decide who is disabled enough to have the fee waived, and who isn't. I don't mean to delve into driving this off topic but I think it could be a point of contention. Maybe I am overthinking it, but I think it's not going to end well with Disney being the arbiter of who is "disabled enough."

I agree. I just called concerning my Oct ressie which I made last Nov., no charge for that. Also it's on rented DVC points, I neglected to ask about that. I'm settling the estate for a relative who left a disabled parking tag which is valid until 2022, very tempting.

Bill From PA
Very illegal.
Until people stop going or we have another major terrorist attack that deters travel, they will continue to raise prices and cut back on the magic.
Or global financial crisis...
No. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter