• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Resorts & dining Christmas 2015

Kirstyn

Earning My Ears
Hi. My family and I will be going to Disney this Christmas, and we would like to stay on property. My family is a party of 5. Mom, Dad, Grandma, Daughter 25, Daughter 15. This will be our first trip to both Orlando and Disney. We are wondering which resorts would be the best? So far we like AoA lion king suite ,movies,FWCabins, Coranado Springs, and Wilderness Lodge villa studios which is $100 more total than cabins or AoA. Overall,we are looking for a more relaxed quiet feel close to parks, and also best for those with slightly limited mobility who use both walker and scooter. We are also trying to decide between plus or deluxe dining. since we prefer a lot of table service meals which is best? Prefer a package purchase from Disney directly but open to DVC rentals through agencies that can add tickets and dining. Is there anyway to add dining plan to a stay at the dolphin? We are arriving on the 22nd and leaving the 26th of December. I would appreciate any tips or insight on best hotels and dining plan. Thank you!

You may find that you will have trouble renting points for that time period at this point. The holidays book up fast and we're 8 months out right now, if you want to go that way I'd find an agency and try to do it before you get to 7 months out when all dvc members can book at all of the resorts. we've never stayed at any of the resorts you've mentioned however I do know that there is no way to add a dining plan to a stay at the dolphin. My resort suggestion, if the budget allows would be one of the monorail resorts. If not I think that WL would be my choice.

As for dining plans, we've done both plans. We enjoy the deluxe dining plan greatly and usually do some kind of early lunch and a signature dinner around 6 or 7 when we do deluxe. This works for us, but we have been to disney countless times and know our way around as well as what we like to do. I would think for a relatively short first visit during a very crowded time of year you may want to stick with the regular dining plan - one table service per day. You can always pay out of pocket if you would like to do more table service then the plan allows. This way you won't be locked into adrs and you can take your time enjoying the parks.

I will also add that you're about 2 months out right now for scheduling dining and for a trip on those dates I would figure out where I wanted to eat ahead of time and I'd make my reservations early. have fun planning! disney is beautiful at Christmas!

HI! Welcome to the Dis!

No, you can't add a dining package to the Dolphin. You save quite a few $$$ by staying there if you qualify and get one of their discounts though. Both the Dolphin and Swan offer great savings for teacher/nurse/military in particular. However, they also offer AAA/CAA and AARP discounts that are quite deep as well. We stay there often and feel that the value definitely exceeds anything you can get from WDW.

Something that you might want to consider is that you have 5 adults (well, 4 are adults and one is 15 yo). For me, that would take the value suites and a WL villa studio out of consideration. You only get one real bed in these suites or studios. How would Grandma or Mom and Dad do on a pull out? I would seriously consider the bedding configuration of these rooms and consider whether or not everyone would be comfortable sleeping there. Also something to think about are privacy issues and how much togetherness is comfortable. What is important in a room for you? The most important factor to consider in a room is how well we will be able to sleep, IMO. After that is functionality for getting ready for the day and for bed.

with 5 adults or near adult people, I would be looking at 2 rooms. that way you have 4 real beds and two bathrooms. Request adjacent or connecting rooms. The best deal if you want dining would be 2 rooms at a moderate during a free dining promotion (not sure that this is even a possibility over Christmas). However, if I were you I would be busy doing the math. Even with FD, OOP dining may work better for you. Room only (RO) discounts, when available, have always worked out to be cheaper for us than free dining. Check on All ears.net and consider how much you will spend. I eat a lot, and I don't eat enough to make the dining package work for me. We eat TS meals at least once every day, often signature or character meals. We don't eat much dessert and drink water but we eat whatever we want without considering price. I have wanted to buy the dining plan, just to try it, but have never been able to justify the additional cost. If you haven't been to WDW before, you may not want to spend the large amount of time multiple TS meals would require each day. Something to consider.

If you want easy access and close to parks, you are talking about deluxe resorts. Out of these, WL or AKL are the least expensive. With these you will definitely require 2 rooms (they only sleep 4). AKL is close to the AK, but is really remote from everything else. WL might be a good choice and is one that you mentioned. however, I doubt that the 5 of you would be comfortable in a studio. Another option that could be relatively affordable would be the Garden Wing rooms at The CR. Standard or garden view rooms here are as low a price as you will see on the monorail. Request a room near the main building to reduce walking distance. You could technically stay in one room here, and the rooms are relatively large, but again, if possible, I would go with 2 rooms for comfort.

FW cabins might work OK for the sleeping (full and set of bunks in the bedrooms, pull down in the living room, but it is not necessarily easy to get around the campground. If you have mobility issues, I am not sure how well a stay here would work. Also, there is only one bathroom.

the Swan and Dolphin with 2 rooms right be your best bet overall. Boats to two theme parks and buses to everything else, the Swan/Dolphin location is awesome, especially when you factor in the cost of staying here. they are truly luxury resorts and right next to the YC/BC and BWI. When checking the price, pay attention to the breakdown. They do charge a resort fee of $23.00 per day. Also, they are not included in Disney's Magical Express (if using WDW transportation) and charge a parking fee (if you have a car).

Good luck choosing!

I would not do deluxe dining the amount of food on the regular dining plan is insane! However, I definitely wouldn't do it for those dates as it is going to be really, really, really busy. Two TS meals a day will greatly reduce your park time at an already mobbed time of year. I also agree with a previous poster. I'd get two rooms at a moderate resort for the proper beds for five adults and also the two bathrooms. And the privacy. Maybe just me but I'd be weirded out staying in a room with my husband and one of our mums!

Hi. My family and I will be going to Disney this Christmas, and we would like to stay on property. My family is a party of 5. Mom, Dad, Grandma, Daughter 25, Daughter 15. This will be our first trip to both Orlando and Disney. We are wondering which resorts would be the best? So far we like AoA lion king suite ,movies,FWCabins, Coranado Springs, and Wilderness Lodge villa studios which is $100 more total than cabins or AoA. Overall,we are looking for a more relaxed quiet feel close to parks, and also best for those with slightly limited mobility who use both walker and scooter. We are also trying to decide between plus or deluxe dining. since we prefer a lot of table service meals which is best? Prefer a package purchase from Disney directly but open to DVC rentals through agencies that can add tickets and dining. Is there anyway to add dining plan to a stay at the dolphin? We are arriving on the 22nd and leaving the 26th of December. I would appreciate any tips or insight on best hotels and dining plan. Thank you!
Please don't take this the wrong way, but Christmas time is the absolute worst time for a first trip to WDW. You can plan on the parks being mobbed with guests, so much that they will close during the morning hours and remain closed for several hours if not most of the day. So if you didn't arrive when the park opened, it might be a lost cause to try to enter the MK or Epcot (especially these two). You won't get a more relaxed quiet feel at all. If you can book your stay during the first two weeks of December, you'll get the same feel without the crowds.

Thank you to everyone for all of your help. We have unexpectedly moved our trip up to this July since it works best for our schedule, and still allows us to visit family during Christmas. Any tips for Disney in July? Thanks!

Thank you to everyone for all of your help. We have unexpectedly moved our trip up to this July since it works best for our schedule, and still allows us to visit family during Christmas. Any tips for Disney in July? Thanks!

1, Make Rope Drop.
2. Hit a couple AM EMH's then head to a different after your afternoon break (if you have hoppers.)
3. Afternoon break back at your resort for nap in a cool room or pool time
4. Back to the park around 6 as it starts to get cooler
5. Drink lots and lots of water

A lot of great advice but I have one additional, if you still want a deluxe DP my recommendation is to stay away from the value resorts as they do not have a TS resturant. Out of the list provided I would go WL as you would have easier access to resorts with excellent TS locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter