Disney Reports 3rd Quarter Earnings Ahead of Expectations.

DDLand

DIS Veteran
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/04/walt-disney-earnings-145-per-share-vs-expected-eps-of-142.html

"Walt Disney on Tuesday posted quarterly earnings that topped Wall Street estimates but revenue that came in below projections.

The media and entertainment giant posted earnings of $1.45 per share on $13.1 billion in revenue, up 13 and 5 percent year-over-year, respectively. Shares fell nearly 2 percent in extended trading."

From their release:
The Walt Disney Company today reported record quarterly earnings of $2.5 billion for its third fiscal quarter ended June 27, 2015 compared to $2.2 billion for the prior-year quarter. Diluted earnings per share (EPS) for the third quarter increased 13% to $1.45 from $1.28 in the prior-year quarter. EPS for the nine months ended June 27, 2015 increased 16% to $3.95 from $3.40 in the prior-year period. Excluding certain items affecting comparability(1), EPS for the nine months increased 15%.
"We’re very pleased with our performance in the third quarter, with record net income and diluted earnings per share of $1.45, up 13% from the prior year,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company. “The strong results across our many diverse lines of business demonstrate the power of our unparalleled brands, franchises and creative content."

https://cdn.thewaltdisneycompany.com/sites/default/files/reports/q3-fy15-earnings.pdf

Of course the thing people really care about on the Disney Parks forum...

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 4% to $4.1 billion and segment operating income increased 9% to $922 million. Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our domestic operations, partially offset by a decrease at our international operations.
Higher operating income at our domestic operations was primarily due to volume and guest spending growth, partially offset by higher costs. The increase in volumes was due to attendance growth at our theme parks and higher occupied room nights at Walt Disney World Resort and our Aulani resort in Hawaii. Guest spending growth was due to higher food, beverage, and merchandise spending, increases in average ticket prices at our cruise line and Disneyland Resort and higher average hotel room rates. Cost increases were due to labor and other cost inflation, costs for the 60th Anniversary celebration at Disneyland Resort and higher pension and postretirement medical costs, partially offset by lower marketing costs at Walt Disney World Resort.
Lower operating income at our international operations was due to lower attendance and occupied room nights at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, higher operating costs at Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, and higher pre-opening expenses at Shanghai Disney Resort. These decreases were partially offset by higher average ticket prices, increased food, beverage and merchandise spending and higher volumes at Disneyland Paris.

Last edited:
Thoughts...
1)WDW continues to experience stronger hotel occupancy. It was one of the major growth drivers of the entire division. That's great news for the entire WDW ecosystem.
2) Aulani is noted as a growth driver, perhaps finally Aulani is becoming a strong business. That's big news, Aulani has widely been regarded as a high budget bomb despite being really well reviewed. It's had 4 years and it's coming into its own.
3) Disneyland should've done better. People were supposedly holding off visiting for the 60th. Where was that pop? Crickets... Looks like they talked about in the conference call, excellent! http://m.ocregister.com/articles/disney-675901-disneyland-attendance.html
4) HKDL needs a huge project to keep momentum going. Park two is coming sooner rather then later.

Last edited:
Disneyland should've done better. People were supposedly holding off visiting for the 60th. Where was that pop? Crickets...
The actual 60th anniversary came in July (17th). While DL did start the 60th celebration in May that doesn't give a very big bump in the earnings report. I'll be more interested to see how the summer quarter goes since that will encompass a full 3 months of 60th celebration marketing push.

The actual 60th anniversary came in July (17th). While DL did start the 60th celebration in May that doesn't give a very big bump in the earnings report. I'll be more interested to see how the summer quarter goes since that will encompass a full 3 months of 60th celebration marketing push.
This is the summer quarter, it ended on July 27th. The kickoff was on May 22, and some of the offerings launched before that. That's a significant amount of time for that pop to take place.

Which it did, according to Staggs in the conference call the pop happened. I was just wondering why it wasn't highlighted extensively in the actual report. It left me nervous, but it was unfounded. Good night for WDP&R

This is the summer quarter, it ended on July 27th. The kickoff was on May 22, and some of the offerings launched before that. That's a significant amount of time for that pop to take place.
According to the news release I read the quarter ended June 27th. No doubt there were significant 60th expenses that occurred during the ~1.5 months that preceded the May 22 actual kickoff, just for preparation purposes. I would expect to see offsetting revenues start only after the kickoff.

According to the news release I read the quarter ended June 27th. No doubt there were significant 60th expenses that occurred during the ~1.5 months that preceded the May 22 actual kickoff, just for preparation purposes. I would expect to see offsetting revenues start only after the kickoff.
You're absolutely right, I made that post on the go. Whoops. It should be interesting to see more next quarter, as you correctly pointed out.

Is WDW hotel occupancy up because more people are staying or due to the fact that there are less rooms with DVC conversion. Or do they count DVC as part of the occupancy number?

Is WDW hotel occupancy up because more people are staying or due to the fact that there are less rooms with DVC conversion. Or do they count DVC as part of the occupancy number?
DVC is not counted in that occupancy rate it is separate.

The only conversion I can think of between last year and this year is at the Poly. And even then, I'm not sure those (this year) converted units were in the active hotel numbers for last year since they were under construction then.

DVC is not counted in that occupancy rate it is separate.

And yet they say this:

The increase in volumes was due to attendance growth at our theme parks and higher occupied room nights at Walt Disney World Resort and our Aulani resort in Hawaii

I thought Aulani was a DVC? But I also heard that sales are not that great. Is Disney's new resort hotel of today just the failed DVC project of yesterday? Sounds like they're trying to put a bit of lipstick on a pig.

I haven't seen the resort in person but I must say, I agree with the comment made here in the past that it's on the wrong side of the wrong island. It doesn't look like it's in a very impressive setting. Basically just a condo-type resort dropped into a narrow footprint on an artificial beach blasted out the rocks next to what looks like a suburb of Honolulu. I could get excited about bringing my family to visit the Big Island, which I've visited before, or to visit Maui which is super nice and super interesting according to all reports. But Aulani doesn't resemble anything like what I consider to be the glamour and fascination of Hawaii.

If they say that Aulani has higher occupied room nights, I suppose that could mean, it was close to zero before, now they're less close to zero ...

Another note for any Disney stock watchers out there ... DIS shares dropped significantly (10%) after the announcement, apparently because of the underperformance of ESPN which represents almost half of DIS operating earnings. There was a bit of a recovery after the initial free-fall in share price, then a steady decline began again. The doom'n'gloom financial website zerohedge speculated that the initial recovery was due to a stock buyback effort by the Disney corp but I have no idea about that.

I thought Aulani was a DVC? But I also heard that sales are not that great. Is Disney's new resort hotel of today just the failed DVC project of yesterday? Sounds like they're trying to put a bit of lipstick on a pig.

I haven't seen the resort in person but I must say, I agree with the comment made here in the past that it's on the wrong side of the wrong island. It doesn't look like it's in a very impressive setting. Basically just a condo-type resort dropped into a narrow footprint on an artificial beach blasted out the rocks next to what looks like a suburb of Honolulu. I could get excited about bringing my family to visit the Big Island, which I've visited before, or to visit Maui which is super nice and super interesting according to all reports. But Aulani doesn't resemble anything like what I consider to be the glamour and fascination of Hawaii.

If they say that Aulani has higher occupied room nights, I suppose that could mean, it was close to zero before, now they're less close to zero ...

Aulani is DVC. Its also hotel. Kind of like Boardwalk I guess. DVC units and hotel units all together in the same building.

I've been to Aulani twice and will be going back again next year. Your take on its location, construction and theming are not at all what the resort provides. I'd suggest you at least take a look at the actual resort sometime.

Another note for any Disney stock watchers out there ... DIS shares dropped significantly (10%) after the announcement, apparently because of the underperformance of ESPN which represents almost half of DIS operating earnings. There was a bit of a recovery after the initial free-fall in share price, then a steady decline began again. The doom'n'gloom financial website zerohedge speculated that the initial recovery was due to a stock buyback effort by the Disney corp but I have no idea about that.

It's about 800 units total, and it's around a 50 50 split between DVC and hotel. Whereas Hilton Head and Vero Beach are 150ish units that are DVC.

I've never heard of anyone complain about the themeing of Aulani not being Hawaiian enough. Never. This resort is lauded for being beautiful and well worth a visit. If it was specifically mentioned in the report then it had to have a big enough impact to make a dent.

I saw Iger spinning madly on one of the business channels this morning. They have a lot of faith in ESPN and that's about all I got out of it.

And yet they say this:

Aulani is not all DVC. And yes DVC sales have not been entirely great there. It is still well visited and one of the highest rated Hawaiian resorts. Everything I've heard about Aulani is good things.

I'm sure the Aulani theming is wonderful, and that it's an extremely nice luxury hotel and/or condominium. But speaking only for myself, I associate Hawaii with natural beauty that should be appreciated and enjoyed as-is. Not a place where you have to "theme" your hotel and blast (yes I said blast ... and bulldoze) a manmade lagoon out of a shoreline that doesn't have a natural swimming beach. That's missing the whole point of the Hawaiian Islands. And I'm not going to reserve judgement until I fly to Hawaii, visit Aulani, sleep there, and try the pineapple-and-whatever pancakes and then make up my mind.

I'm sure the Aulani theming is wonderful, and that it's an extremely nice luxury hotel and/or condominium. But speaking only for myself, I associate Hawaii with natural beauty that should be appreciated and enjoyed as-is. Not a place where you have to "theme" your hotel and blast (yes I said blast ... and bulldoze) a manmade lagoon out of a shoreline that doesn't have a natural swimming beach. That's missing the whole point of the Hawaiian Islands. And I'm not going to reserve judgement until I fly to Hawaii, visit Aulani, sleep there, and try the pineapple-and-whatever pancakes and then make up my mind.
The beach is public land because hotels cannot own sections of the beach in Hawaii.

Ahhhh...at least somebody noticed the real reason behind the events here...they tried to rush it by everyone. Only the first posters here seem to have a hook stuck in their jaws ;)

...Instead of this fool Pom poming - that predictably and immediately went up.

The espn subscription fees are the "pure profit" portion of why espn is the most successful cable TV endeavor ever by a mile. Similar to the giftshops at the parks.

The "costs" are covered by the sponsors... So the fees are what the market and CMB and his posse care about...to be honest.

Now...the difference here is that a 3 million/4% drop in subscribers would typically not be a huge deal. But if you listened to Iger - he's nervous and should be.

This is only the beginning for "cord cutting"...and he damn well knows it.

Espn...hitching its wagon to the NBA and NFL almost exclusively - looks great now...but if they have to go into the unbundled world and try to charge what they want...might just show the warts.

Every cable subscriber in the country pays a
Staggering $6 a month for the espn block...and there's currently 90 million of them...

But that number is falling and will not rebound...technology changes everything...that is a big uncertainty.

I'm sick of paying Comcast some ridiculous monthly fee (I don't even look - to be honest) and the end is near. When I go rogue...will I then pay Disney $25 a month for espn?

Not a chance...the programming has sucked for years. I would venture I'm In the "developing majority" here.

This is a blow Disney hasn't seen for a few years now...and not going away. Stay tuned.

A 9% drop in stock price on one figure is pretty big "news" here.

I Just got another 30% + food offer for aulani yesterday...

And get them constantly...

Are we sure the place is "cranking" now?

Sounds like a cover story...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter