• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Removing Do Not Disturb Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's one thing to dislike the policy but it's another to claim that they will use this as a means to send pedophiles in to rooms, reasons to steal from guests, or access to enter rooms and harm women alone in their rooms. All of which have been mentioned somewhere or another. This policy may not be something you like but it's really a bit over the top to worry about criminals running rampant at Disney.

Oh yeah??? Well I’m at home, and Goofy just busted down my front door. Then he punched me in the nose and stole my watch.

/not really

Last edited:
What’s to stop someone from taking a piece of paper & writing “Do Not Disturb” & taping it to the door?
I appreciate any effort to keep people safe & this policy change seems like it does need to have some kinks worked out.
I was previously part of a hotel management team for a major brand & can confirm that MANY crazy things happen behind closed doors. DND signs on doors or a guests refusal to allow staff in the room almost always signaled something dangerous or sketchy going on in that room. Unfortunately now it can also mean something sinister.

Nothing at all. But that sign will do nothing for you. They're going to knock anyway and if nobody answers, they will access the room.

No worries. By the second or third time a CM gets shot and/or killed by a startled guest who happened to be carrying a handgun, Disney will probably rethink this policy.

I know you're being facetious but again...they aren't kicking down doors and barging into rooms. They are knocking and waiting to be let in and only accessing the room if nobody answers. If a gun owner doesn't hear the knock, I would be surprised if they had the time to run a grab their firearm (from the safe, their luggage, the drawer etc) when they see someone walk in and realize it's the daily security check (costumed CM).

I totally get people being upset about the loss of privacy. But the reality is that they are just removing the DND ability. Housekeeping will be coming in once per day like it or lump it. If you take a midday nap (which we do every day every trip) you may be woken up by the knock.

USE THE SECURITY BAR and nobody will be sneaking up on you. End of story.

I know you're being facetious...
Yep, I am. And while I'm not happy with this new security theatre policy, I'll live with it if I have to. Only time will tell how it all washes out. WDW has over 30,000 rooms and I'm curious about how they're going to manage to knock on every door, every day.

Yep, I am. And while I'm not happy with this new security theatre policy, I'll live with it if I have to. Only time will tell how it all washes out. WDW has over 30,000 rooms and I'm curious about how they're going to manage to knock on every door, every day.

I don't think we know if they will yet - it may be only for guests that aren't getting housekeeping, or have had a "room occupied" up for more than a day straight. Is it even all hotels?

As a result of this policy and the recent dog policy, I should have no problem finding resort availability for any future visits, if all the people "up in arms" over Disney's decisions flee to greener pasture off-site hotels. Excellent.

Last edited:
I don't think we know if they will yet - it may be only for guests that aren't getting housekeeping, or have had a "room occupied" up for more than a day straight. Is it even all hotels?
We don't know. And everything you just mentioned (plus any other situation that we haven't thought of yet) is why I call it security theatre.

FWIW-We changed rooms earlier this year at CBR and somehow Housekeeping engaged the Safety Latch when they left the room.

The Bellman with us called Maintenance and Maintenance did have a "tool" to "unlock" the Latch,but it took several minutes and basically destroyed the Latch and he had to install a new one..
Amateurs. I can cheat a sway bar or privacy chain with a rubber band and a wad of used gum.

Also,I see Posts where Guests are going to be sure to use the Deadbolt,but don't mention using the Safety Latchy-the Safety Latch should also always be used-it is more of a "deterrent" from Disney barging in on you that the Deadbolt.

Indeed. The deadbolt opens with the turn of the door handle so it will not slow housekeeping at all as the door handle unlocks with the entrance key system. The value of the deadbolt is only to add strength to the door against being kicked in.

Well, they call us “owners” as DVC members. Owners of a timeshare. I would think I should be able to say I don’t want housekeeping coming in. But it’s obvious that’s not the case. Whatever- like everything else there’s opinions on either side of this, but the fact is they are going to, so we are just going to stay where they still give us the option. We have already started checking into resale companies to sell. Or we will rent our points. I will stay at one of the offsite places. You know, the ones that now get the same perks as staying onsite:thumbsup2
You are correct in your assumption....there is nothing in our DVC contract that spells out these changes and nothing has been modified or given members notice to change in privacy rights and unintended raise in our dues to pay for this added service. Should be very interesting. Housekeeping can't handle what they have now. They are contract union employees, what gives them the training to perform these safety checks? Seems they have a "security theft" issue they should focus on that has been in the news with HK theft before opening pandoras box of room visits.

Housekeeping will be coming in once per day like it or lump it. If you take a midday nap (which we do every day every trip) you may be woken up by the knock.

USE THE SECURITY BAR and nobody will be sneaking up on you. End of story.

Like it or lump it is very difficult to swallow when you are paying $500+ a night at the Yacht Club. I don't want to be woken up from a nap on vacation. I imagine those with cranky toddlers don't want their baby's mid-day nap interrupted either.

I imagine a TON of housekeepers are going to get screamed at and met with hostility. I see how people flip out in the parks. Imagine someone waking your baby up.

I do think they are going to have some very unhappy parents when their kids get woken from a nap. That can wreck the rest of the day depending on what you have planned

That's ok, they'll just give out some Fastpasses and all will be well ;)

Amateurs. I can cheat a sway bar or privacy chain with a rubber band and a wad of used gum.
From OUTSIDE the door?

Disney should hire you to teach them so they don't have to install new ones!:)

You go Macgruber!lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter