Disney Quest closing?

alvernon90

Two Decade Veteran
Sorry if there has been an update on this recently, I can't search the board. Is there any further news on the rumor about Disney Quest closing down?

Since Cheesecake Factory is still there, I take it they renewed their expiring contract. Any reason to believe this place will be gone by the end of the year?

Take this for whatever it's worth. I talked to a CM at DQ in March about this rumor. They told me there was no truth to it.

It's only as matter of time. The way I understand it, Disney wanted to have at least four DQs operating by now - only two were ever built and just one of those still exists, which essentially has not been updated since it opened half a decade ago - an eternity for computer-based entertainment.

I think they could have made it if they had created smaller versions in smaller cities throughout the U.S. than Chicago. In Chicago there is already too much competition for entertainment.

They could have made it in Chicago as well, except they put it in downtown Chicago. It needed to be in one of the suburbs to stand a chance, not near the Loop (the business area). Really bad planning on the location.

DQ at WDW is one of my favorite things to do. After we've had full day at the parks, we come back, freshen up and take the water taxi to DTD. Cheesecake Factory has YUMMY food there and the prices ain't too bad!

Roy

Why isn't this a plus option on the Park Hopper Plus tickets? It would seem that would boost attendance significantly. It was too expensive to choose to do while we were there when we had "free" pluses we had not used. So we went to the Water Parks instead.

Just curious...

There were plans to open a Disney Quest in Center City Philadelpha.

Announcements were made, and a hole was dug on a corner to start construction...

But the mayor of Philadelpha (GRR!) in one of his many blunders balked about too many of the "conditons" and let the project fall away...

I truly can't remember the specifics about the contract, but in what was supposed to be Disney Quest, it is something else now.

(Its not far from DH"s work. He thinks its now a parking garage)

There have been several additions to Disney Quest over the years. Pirates of the Caribbean is the most notable and was the most enjoyable thing there to me. Also added were Alladin and general change outs in the video games.

Just because Disney Quest failed in other cities doesnt mean the one in Orlando will close. Same deal as Rain Forest Cafe and Planet Hollywood which are both struggling financially.

I also agree that DQ should be a plus option. I had to buy the UPH's so that DQ will be available to my teenagers. One thing's for sure, the place was VERY crowded in the past - I haven't been there in 3 years, so maybe it's died down? But I doubt it.

I personally think that the reason it is not a plus option on PHP passes is because it is so popular, especially with the teens. This forces people into considering the UPH pass which is what Disney would prefer.

I too wish DisneyQuest were a "plus" option. My little boy just loves that place, well, I had a blast also. I wanted to buy Park Hoppers this year but he wants to go to Disneyquest and I don't want to pay extra so that forces me to get a package with a UPH, but that's ok this year since the Fairytale package came out.

So, which pass, if any (except the UPH) DOES include Disneyquest?

Thanks Brian!! Figures it would be on the most expensive pass. Guess I'll continue to only get UPH with a package so DS can go to DisneyQuest every year.

Adding DQ to a Hopper Plus would only really generate any additional revenue for WDW if it drove additional Hopper Plus Passes (or if they could charge more for them.) Otherwise, there's little (if any) motivation for WDW to add it.

The Powers That Be In Burbank think DQ Orlando would be a spif-spif-spiffy place for a flagship ESPN Club/Zone... whichever one is not already on the Boardwalk, I can never keep the names straight. One is mostly a restaurant/bar/gift shop chain like on the Boardwalk (that should be the "Club," I would think), the other is a wider-ranging affair that adds interactive sports experiences... think WWoS superimposed on top of DQ (I suppose that's the "Zone," but don't quote me on it).

There will now ensue a behind-the-scenes game of "Find The Budget" that may result in something happening.

Or not.

To me, the ESPN/DQ choice is a toss-up, which is just as well: it's best not to get too excited over something until it's built. You never know from one moment to the next if there's any need for Celebration.

Originally posted by Walt's Frozen Head
The Powers That Be In Burbank think DQ Orlando would be a spif-spif-spiffy place for a flagship ESPN Club/Zone... whichever one is not already on the Boardwalk, I can never keep the names straight. One is mostly a restaurant/bar/gift shop chain like on the Boardwalk (that should be the "Club," I would think), the other is a wider-ranging affair that adds interactive sports experiences... think WWoS superimposed on top of DQ (I suppose that's the "Zone," but don't quote me on it).
I don't mean to take this off-topic, but I have been thinking that the best thing for Disney to do regarding the ESPN Club is to close the one on the Boardwalk (put something else there) and re-open an ESPN Zone on the other end of the Boardwalk, where Atlantic Dance Hall is, which I believe is large enough for a Zone and from what I hear is struggling. Anyway, if it leaves Disney Quest alone, I like it. I'm not sure the ESPN Club on the Boardwalk would get much business if they opened an ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney.

Add me to the list of dreamers that wishes they would add Disney Quest as a plus.

DQ could do very well in Minneapolis, there is nothing else to do here. I am amazed that Atlantic Dance is still open. They are always completely empty when we go in there. We'd go more often but it is really boring. They need to figure out a way to bring people in to dance.

There are no other Disney Quests because they cost $150 million dollars to build. They can not make a large enough profit to satisfy the bean counters.
These days, it's not enough just to make money, you must make a LOT of money or the venture is not considered economically viable. That's what happened to Disney Quest. They cost too much to build and operate and don't make enough money to justify that (in the opinion of the Walt Disney Company).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter