Disney pulls funding for Boy Scouts over LGBT Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, sadly my family will not be able to support the BSA in any form as long as they maintain their stance on nonbelievers.

Their ban on atheists is just as wrong

"The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."[4]

I do not see it wrong to ban atheists as it's a somewhat religious based organization. How can leader instill religion when they do not believe in religion. I find it strange that an atheist would even want to join the group. You would think they would want to start their own boys organization for their own way of thinking. Something with a motto excluding religion. Only makes sense, unless it's just to prove a point.

You would think they would want to start their own boys organization for their own way of thinking. Something with a motto excluding religion. Only makes sense, unless it's just to prove a point.

Same thing can be said for LGBT organizations!
Disney can do as they wish with their money, but why all of sudden did this change?
It's because the gay agenda!

I do not see it wrong to ban atheists as it's a somewhat religious based organization. How can leader instill religion when they do not believe in religion. I find it strange that an atheist would even want to join the group. You would think they would want to start their own boys organization for their own way of thinking. Something with a motto excluding religion. Only makes sense, unless it's just to prove a point.

Of course there are the protections the constitution of the country BSA is so proud does afford protection from religious prosecution. Should atheists form a separate government, judicial system, currency. Verbiage including God is pervasive in non religious American life. My scouting experience was it was more about civic involvement responsibility and outdoor life than religion, the BSA and GSA need to stop functioning as a PAC for politicians and a mouthpiece for major conservative republican donors.

Atheists despite BSA can be involved in outdoor activities have an appreciation for nature, commit to civic culture, and interact with religious persons without problem or conflict. They have been doing so for years. The only thing BSA is teaching kids with these policies is that if you different gay, atheist , (female) we can't trust you nor interact with you; not exactly a modern life lesson.

I used to have a job where I got to see kids have their first professional job. You'd be shocked how many failed because they could not fully interact with those different from themselves. The kids could generally see beyond color of skin, but many had problems with sexuality and religion. It showed and those who were accepting had a much better job trajectory. Those who were unable to sincerely interact and engage, not so much.

Disney can do as they wish with their money, but why all of sudden did this change?

The "gay agenda"? :confused3

You do know who owns this message board, right? If not, perhaps you should do a little research?

Scouting did not start out with any religious belief requirements although it does not surprise me that the American version evolved to be that way.
Scout groups in most countries are concerned with the personal development of the children first and foremost. The "Duty to God" stuff reflected society's norms one hundred years ago but was incidental rather than intrinsic to the movement.
Is it really the duty of an American Scout leader to "instil religion" in their charges? Isn't that better done elsewhere?
Perhaps tolerance, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder?

ford family

Do you have any links to substantiate that claim?

It looks to me like religion played a huge role in scouting from its inception:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Scouting

Baden-Powell: Founder's views[edit]

When creating the Scouting method, Baden-Powell was adamant that there was a place for God within it.
In Scouting for Boys, Baden-Powell wrote specifically about Christianity, since he was writing for youth groups in the United Kingdom:
We aim for the practice of Christianity in their everyday life and dealings, and not merely the profession of theology on Sundays…[1]
Indeed, the Scout Promise requires an incoming member to fulfil their "duty to God".
However, the founder's position moved shortly after the Scout movement began to grow rapidly around the world, and his writings and speeches allowed for all religions. He did continue to emphasise that God was a part of a Scout's life:
When asked where religion came into Scouting and Guiding, Baden-Powell replied, It does not come in at all. It is already there. It is a fundamental factor underlying Scouting and Guiding.[2]
Though we hold no brief for any one form of belief over another, we see a way to helping all by carrying the same principle into practice as is now being employed in other branches of education…[3]
Baden-Powell's gravestone bears no cross or other religious symbol. Rather, in addition to the Boy Scout and Girl Guide Badges, it bears a circle with a dot in the centre, the trail sign for "Going home" / "I have gone home": I have gone home.[4]

Scouting did not start out with any religious belief requirements although it does not surprise me that the American version evolved to be that way.
Scout groups in most countries are concerned with the personal development of the children first and foremost. The "Duty to God" stuff reflected society's norms one hundred years ago but was incidental rather than intrinsic to the movement.
Is it really the duty of an American Scout leader to "instil religion" in their charges? Isn't that better done elsewhere?
Perhaps tolerance, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder?

ford family

The Gay Agenda?ive

Are you sure you don't mean plain old civil rights for a group of oppressed citizens?

Way to go Disney!!!

My boys were never allowed to participate in Boy Souts due to their discriminatory practices.

However, I find it rather amusing that my truly conservative friends also boycotted BSA, but from the other end, finding them too liberal. Their children were all in Awana.

Do you have any links to substantiate that claim?

It looks to me like religion played a huge role in scouting from its inception:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Scouting

Baden-Powel: Founder's views[edit]

When creating the Scouting method, Baden-Powell was adamant that there was a place for God within it.
In Scouting for Boys, Baden-Powell wrote specifically about Christianity, since he was writing for youth groups in the United Kingdom:
We aim for the practice of Christianity in their everyday life and dealings, and not merely the profession of theology on Sundays…[1]
Indeed, the Scout Promise requires an incoming member to fulfil their "duty to God".
However, the founder's position moved shortly after the Scout movement began to grow rapidly around the world, and his writings and speeches allowed for all religions. He did continue to emphasise that God was a part of a Scout's life:
When asked where religion came into Scouting and Guiding, Baden-Powell replied, It does not come in at all. It is already there. It is a fundamental factor underlying Scouting and Guiding.[2]
Though we hold no brief for any one form of belief over another, we see a way to helping all by carrying the same principle into practice as is now being employed in other branches of education…[3]
Baden-Powell's gravestone bears no cross or other religious symbol. Rather, in addition to the Boy Scout and Girl Guide Badges, it bears a circle with a dot in the centre, the trail sign for "Going home" / "I have gone home": I have gone home.[4]

You answered your own question with "we hold no brief for any one form of belief over another".
Compare and contrast with the BGA stance.

In the UK, where Scouting began, the "Duty to God" pledge has now been taken out.

ford family

What does the owner of the boards sexual preference have to do with anything???

Because if you are not fully supportive of the LGBT community, your opinions are not appreciated. Biases exist everywhere.

Won't be surprised to get a message from a mod for posting this either. ;)

The BSA do not advertise themselves to boys and families who want to join as a religious org, and they hold their events in public schools and on public grounds. They present the appearance of being a wholesome, all-American group that every boy should want to be a part of, and yet they discriminate. I don't feel particularly excited about my son being in a special group for nonbelievers. The Boy Scout troop in our area takes special measures to be inclusive, and a good portion of the boys in our community are involved, but the organization as a whole doesn't want us as members. It sucks that I have to basically out our family as atheists when my son inevitably is asked why he won't join.

I do so enjoy lighthearted and carefree things....I'm always surprised when people have a dull and depressed agenda.

:rotfl2:

The BSA do not advertise themselves to boys and families who want to join as a religious org, and they hold their events in public schools and on public grounds. They present the appearance of being a wholesome, all-American group that every boy should want to be a part of, and yet they discriminate. I don't feel particularly excited about my son being in a special group for nonbelievers. The Boy Scout troop in our area takes special measures to be inclusive, and a good portion of the boys in our community are involved, but the organization as a whole doesn't want us as members. It sucks that I have to basically out our family as atheists when my son inevitably is asked why he won't join.

Being an atheist is a choice, being gay is not. It's not discrimination. The BSA today is very broad in its religious "requirements" - our Cub Scout book said something along the lines of "whatever your family believes." But it does still have a faith component, at least in the U.S.

And if you are happy to be an atheist, why worry about "outing" your family?

So much I could say, but why bother?
Why not? This is an open forum where people can share different points of view. We don't have to believe the same, doesn't make us right or wrong!
But if you think LGBT doesn't have an agenda, well then, we'll just leave it at that!

Being an atheist is a choice, being gay is not. It's not discrimination. The BSA today is very broad in its religious "requirements" - our Cub Scout book said something along the lines of "whatever your family believes." But it does still have a faith component, at least in the U.S.

And if you are happy to be an atheist, why worry about "outing" your family?

Because discrimination against atheists and agnostics is very common in the US.

FYI, the Girl Scouts promise does include the word God, but girls are free to substitute another word (e.g. Allah) or omit it altogether. The Girl Scouts are far more progressive than BSA in terms of inclusion.

And despite the official stances of the national organizations, troops often waver from these policies. E.g., I know a local Boy Scout troop that has allowed gay boys and parents for years, and I know a couple of Girl Scout troops that have a very religious slant.

Good for Disney!

Why not? This is an open forum where people can share different points of view. We don't have to believe the same, doesn't make us right or wrong!
But if you think LGBT doesn't have an agenda, well then, we'll just leave it at that!

Their "agenda" is for equal rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter