Disney pulls funding for Boy Scouts over LGBT Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wall-E1

Dis Dad
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/28/us/disney-pulls-boy-scouts-funding/

The Walt Disney Company has given notice to the Boy Scouts of America that it will pull all funding to the group starting in 2015 because of a BSA membership policy that bans gay leaders, the entertainment company said Friday.

According to Disney's charitable giving guidelines, groups become ineligible to receive Disney funding if they "discriminate in the provision of services unlawfully or in a manner inconsistent with Disney's policies on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, marital status, mental or physical ability, or sexual orientation."

It's a shame that the children lose out on this, but Good For Disney - standing up for equality!!!

Weird timing though. That is unless Disney has noticed BSA's changing rules and is hoping to help fast track said change.

Disney has been progressive in their policies for employees for a long time, but I love that they are becoming very outspoken about this civil rights issue in a much more public arena latey :thumbsup2

Disney has been progressive in their policies for employees for a long time, but I love that they are becoming very outspoken about this civil rights issue in a much more public arena latey :thumbsup2

Just last month:

ORLANDO, Fla. —
Last month, there was a major marketing push to attract same sex newlyweds to honeymoon in central Florida.

Now, Disney's signing on with a major event this summer aimed at lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender families.

There are few family vacations as iconic as a trip to Disney World, and starting this summer, Disney's hosting the first ever "Family Outfest," a summer vacation, they said, for the modern family.

"We are just parents. You know, it doesn't matter who you are or what your sexuality is, regardless, you are people and people with families like anybody else," said Family Outfest Dir. Gabrielle Shulruff.

Set for the first week of July, including the Fourth of July holiday, Family Outfest is part of an effort to increase spending in central Florida by LGBT families by 25 percent. A key part of making that happen is the power of the Disney name.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/disney-hosts-family-outfest-aimed-lesbian-gay-bise/nc6cH/

Good for WDW. They may have been waiting since BSA has been waffleing on issues for the past year or so, but it was only a few months ago that they kind of said ok final answer, boy scouts won't be kicked out but still no gay leaders.

Maybe that's why WDW is only coming out now and pulling funding.

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are both organizations my children are not allowed to participate in . Boy Scouts because of their exclusion of someone based solely on their sexual preference and Girl scouts because of their support of Planned Parenthood however I think PR stunts like this are tacky.

Good for WDW. They may have been waiting since BSA has been waffleing on issues for the past year or so, but it was only a few months ago that they kind of said ok final answer, boy scouts won't be kicked out but still no gay leaders.

Maybe that's why WDW is only coming out now and pulling funding.

This is a move by the Walt Disney Company - based in California and headquartered in Burbank. This move affects all employees in the US and not simply those at WDW. The VoluntEARS program is now worldwide but was a progression of the Disneyland Community Action Team started in 1983.

http://publicaffairs.disneyland.com/voluntears/

Disney VoluntEARS History

In 1983, Disneyland Resort cast members expressed a desire to form a team focused on providing meaningful service to the community. This idea soon culminated with the creation of the Disneyland Community Action Team (DCAT).

This dedicated group of Disneyland Resort cast members assisted many nonprofit organizations in Orange County, California.

The team achieved great success in their support of charitable organizations, and the momentum led to a company-wide launch of the Disney VoluntEARS in 1992.

Today, Disney VoluntEARS work on meaningful projects across the globe, with a primary focus on communities where Disney business units operate.

The program is active all over the world, including WDW, Disneyland, Disney theme parks around the world, Aulani, DCL, and of course headquarters, marketing, and film/TV production. That includes ABC and ESPN

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/bl...3Q3DisneyVoluntearsaroundtheglobe000820-12-13

WDPR_EC-Burbank-VoluntEARS--613x922.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/28/us/disney-pulls-boy-scouts-funding/

The Walt Disney Company has given notice to the Boy Scouts of America that it will pull all funding to the group starting in 2015 because of a BSA membership policy that bans gay leaders, the entertainment company said Friday.

According to Disney's charitable giving guidelines, groups become ineligible to receive Disney funding if they "discriminate in the provision of services unlawfully or in a manner inconsistent with Disney's policies on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, marital status, mental or physical ability, or sexual orientation."

It's a shame that the children lose out on this, but Good For Disney - standing up for equality!!!
Their ban on atheists is just as wrong

"The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."[4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter