Disney Princesses...Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some cast members will have some info to share.

After I watched the Mine Train youTube video a couple weeks ago I was sucked into the YouTube Disney video vortex. From there, I saw the two young women who make the "confessions of a retired Disney Princess" videos. They discussed their audition processes at length. Granted, this was a few years ago, so I'd say if you saw Princesses that didn't look princessy, then something has changed for sure!

I used to think the princesses were just pulled from the college program participants, but these young ladies made it sound like multiple rounds of auditioning for the roles along with many girls. And it's not like they were going into a show. They both ended up working at the Akershus restaurant.

We were at DL in November and all of the princess were amazing. Especially Alice in Wonderland.

I think thats a hard job, trying to look right and then act the part and be nice to all these kids.

Maybe some cast members will have some info to share.

After I watched the Mine Train youTube video a couple weeks ago I was sucked into the YouTube Disney video vortex. From there, I saw the two young women who make the "confessions of a retired Disney Princess" videos. They discussed their audition processes at length. Granted, this was a few years ago, so I'd say if you saw Princesses that didn't look princessy, then something has changed for sure!

I used to think the princesses were just pulled from the college program participants, but these young ladies made it sound like multiple rounds of auditioning for the roles along with many girls. And it's not like they were going into a show. They both ended up working at the Akershus restaurant.

My daughter insists she's going to work for Disney as a princess. She's 12, so.... But she actually did some research into it (there were recent casting calls for Anna and Elsa--my daughter was also not within the height guidelines ;) ). There is still a fairly rigorous audition process, at least if it follows what was written. I have no idea who judges or what standards they are seeking, but the audition process is still there.

What we really need is a Jessica Rabbit. :rolleyes1

jessica_zpsec0e1057.jpg

Beggars cannot be choosers! Sorry Jasmine didn't have the attitude that you wanted, but is it really the end of the world if you didn't get to see her? I mean, REALLY? :sad2:

I wouldn't say that people who pay the exorbitant prices of WDW are beggars at all. I think that they choose to go to WDW for an entire experience- rides, shows, meals, and yes- characters.

I must say that when we used to go meet characters, they were wonderful. We have some great memories. And that's what characters do- they help to create memories. So yes- I think they should look AND behave like the characters they are supposed to be. That is part of the magic.

Beggars cannot be choosers! Sorry Jasmine didn't have the attitude that you wanted, but is it really the end of the world if you didn't get to see her? I mean, REALLY? :sad2:

You must not do many character meals.

Yes it's a big deal. We go to see the characters while we eat. We go to chef mickeys to see the fab five. I'd be very upset if we did not see someone.

I guess all I can say is did your kids believe they were meeting the real princesses? Did they take away special moments from their time together? If they thought so, then I would think that is enough?

I don't think that posting photos of the characters would be a good idea. They are human with feelings after all. I used to work in the entertainment department a few years ago and I agree that the quality of princesses has gone downhill big time. Sometimes I want to ask them if they were hit by a Disney Bus on their way to work. I know it sounds mean, but casting has been doing a horrible job.

I haven't been to a Disney Park in 8 years but when we went to Disneyland last the princesses were spot on (as much as they could be for cartoon characters). Recently my friend got back from WDW and got her pictures from her memory maker. Some of the princesses looked nothing like their counterpart except for the wig. Good ones: Meridia (they were pretty sure it was her real hair and that she was actually from Scotland), Rapunzel/Flynn, Snow White, and Cinderella
Belle and Aurora at the Norway breakfast looked different. The Ariel they met was usually a character handler but the usual Ariel was sick so she filled in. My friend's family actually ran into her again while standing in line for another princesses later in their visit.
On the other hand the male characters have really stepped it up. She said no matter who was playing Gaston they nailed it every time.

I don't think that posting photos of the characters would be a good idea. They are human with feelings after all. I used to work in the entertainment department a few years ago and I agree that the quality of princesses has gone downhill big time. Sometimes I want to ask them if they were hit by a Disney Bus on their way to work. I know it sounds mean, but casting has been doing a horrible job.

I just hope they can't read. :lmao:

I was only kidding about the photos.

I just can't imagine what everyone is talking about!! How bad could they look?

I haven't been to a Disney Park in 8 years but when we went to Disneyland last the princesses were spot on (as much as they could be for cartoon characters). Recently my friend got back from WDW and got her pictures from her memory maker. Some of the princesses looked nothing like their counterpart except for the wig. Good ones: Meridia (they were pretty sure it was her real hair and that she was actually from Scotland), Rapunzel/Flynn, Snow White, and Cinderella
Belle and Aurora at the Norway breakfast looked different. The Ariel they met was usually a character handler but the usual Ariel was sick so she filled in. My friend's family actually ran into her again while standing in line for another princesses later in their visit.
On the other hand the male characters have really stepped it up. She said no matter who was playing Gaston they nailed it every time.

I've always heard that they have better face characters at DLR because of all the aspiring actors flocking to LA. I didn't necessarily notice it on our recent trip, but it's an interesting theory.

I was only kidding about the photos.

I just can't imagine what everyone is talking about!! How bad could they look?

You must have missed the big "Is Alice a man?" thread a few years back. :rotfl:

But people did post photos. And I thought it was just mean.

The only problem I have with the princesses is that they all appear to be nearly 40! Seriously...they don't look like youthful princesses at all. They look like old ladies. We met Mulan last time...she wasn't even Chinese. She was vaguely "ethnic" with a lot of cat's eye makeup.

You must have missed the big "Is Alice a man?" thread a few years back. :rotfl:

But people did post photos. And I thought it was just mean.

Oh boy, I missed that one! :rotfl:

I don't like to make fun of people's physical attributes either. I just imagine how I would feel if I heard it about me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter