• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Premier Visa card- anyone upgrading?

I also got the offer in the mail and just can't do it. I've never had to pay an annual fee to a credit card. I just can't get pass that. Yes, I know I'll make it up because I use my cc for everything and pay it off every month (actually several times a month). I use it to pay my DVC dues too, plus we visit WDW 3-4 trips a year, but it's the annual fee thing that gets me, plus choosing a new card design. I love my current card design....Disneyland's 50th birthday castle (which was my 50th too the same time), so it has sentimental reasons to keep it. While I could recoup the fee now, I wondered later down the road if I would. I generally get a cc and keep it for life. I've had my credit union Visa for 30 years and I've had my chase Disney visa since "Day 1".

:) We are also Charter Members of the Disney Visa. We also cannot get around the annual fee and again pay for everything with the card. So you are not alone n2mm.

Do you think it's possible to upgrade and then later on go back to the free card? Just thinking out loud.

i was wondering the same thing.... i know i could benefit from it this year, but next year etc i am not so sure....

Do you think it's possible to upgrade and then later on go back to the free card? Just thinking out loud.

This was asked on the disney parks blog site. Here is the response:
Hi, Brock, just one note – after you request the upgrade to Disney’s Premier Visa® Card, you have 45 days to opt out. After that timeframe, you can’t change the product for a year. When a year is up, you can then call in and request to revert back to the Disney Rewards® Visa® Card.
Can be found in response to comment 26 here:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-visa-card-launches-with-8-exclusive-designs/

thanks, that is helpful! can you keep you old card design?? i have the little mermaid card! just wondering!

Do they count Walmart as a grocery store? :confused3 I do *most* of my grocery shopping there, so I hope it does, but for some reason I thought they didn't count it as grocery.

We have a super Wal-Mart and on my year end summary from Chase it shows up as a grocery store.

I have a question about ccard reporting and thought one of you might know the answer. If I have one account for my Disney Visa, but 2 cards, is there any way to see each cards transactions on the statement separately or even online? I went online to see if there was any settings and didn't see anything. I don't know if it is even possible. DH & I share an account, but I would like to have it broken out to know which charges came from which card. Anyone have any ideas?

I average about 25,000 per year on my charge card and I am not going to upgrade.. not going to give Disney money to give me an extra one percent.. not worth it to me for only certain categories. If it boils down to that, I can use my other cards where they do offer a better return for my money to begin with.. I just use this card because I feel like I am getting my Disney Passes for free this way... :thumbsup2 If I used my Citibank Mastercard where I got the cash (and a better percent), I would feel like I am paying for the annual passes :lmao: yes, I know, it is a psychological thing with me...:goodvibes
I do pay my card off in full every month.. they aren't getting a penny in interest from me... :upsidedow

We don't plan to up grade - just to break even on the $49, you have to use the card a lot (yes, the first 3 mos. 1st year is 5%, but still------) With all the confusion on which areas will show which stores as crediting groceries, etc. we don't want the bother. They should be consistent across the board.

I dont see how it can be worth it if you plan on keeping it longterm. Youll pay 490 in fees over ten years. How can recoup that in just three months?

I dont see how it can be worth it if you plan on keeping it longterm. Youll pay 490 in fees over ten years. How can recoup that in just three months?

If you do more than $4900 in shopping in the bonus categories each year you will pay for the card. Then for every $100 you will get an additional $1.

I don't get how this threads always end up someone saying how it doesn't make sense to other people that have different situation. Everyone here has a different situation and while for some it might not make sense for others will. For us makes sense we go to Disney every year and spend plenty in the categories they offer 2%. While I do have a card that offers 5% back in certain categories during the year it is hit and miss since there is no way to know the categories before hand. We will still put stuff in that card to get 5% when we can but getting 2% for sure for the rest of the months are great. I think by page 8 we all have figure out how much we have to put in the card to pay the fee and make extra money.

I don't understand your post.:confused3 What "three months" are you referring to?

For us, we charge about $45,000 per year on our Disney Visa, so it was a no brainer for us. We will more than recoup the annual fee over the course of each year (not "three months"???).

I don't understand your post.:confused3 What "three months" are you referring to?

They are referring to the 5% rewards in the first 3 months.

I agree with the OP that it will be more difficult to recoup the $49 fee in follow on years when we don't receive 5%, but we don't know that the premiere won't offer similar incentives down the road either. We plan to upgrade for the first year, see how it goes, and then decide whether to keep or downgrade after a year.

I average about 25,000 per year on my charge card and I am not going to upgrade.. not going to give Disney money to give me an extra one percent.. not worth it to me for only certain categories. If it boils down to that, I can use my other cards where they do offer a better return for my money to begin with.. I just use this card because I feel like I am getting my Disney Passes for free this way... :thumbsup2 If I used my Citibank Mastercard where I got the cash (and a better percent), I would feel like I am paying for the annual passes :lmao: yes, I know, it is a psychological thing with me...:goodvibes
I do pay my card off in full every month.. they aren't getting a penny in interest from me... :upsidedow

Me EXACTLY. I have 3 other cards that have so much better payout than DV but I love to use it when we are preparing for a trip to see how much I can get "for free" but I am not going to lose $49 of the cash/points I get back with this upgraded card. It's a psychological thing for me also.

My BOA card gives 3% for gas and groceries all of the time and then gives you cash +10% right to your checking account, so I will use that rather than upgrade. I'll just have to set the cash aside for passes, hotel or whatever. I also just found out that the pay pal master card (which also always has 3% for gas and restaurants) can be cashed out for Disney GC. If DV pushes the new card and gets rid of the old card they will lose me as a customer.

I upgraded my card. My Disney visa is the only card I use so my husband and I felt it was worth it for me to upgrade but not him as he rarely uses his card. We are going to Disney in May and I already have over $200 in rewards from my every day purchases so that extra 5% bonus for the first 3 months is very worth the $49 to us.

I've seen a lot of people talking about not wanting to pay a fee for this new rewards card, and many of them have said that they would spend enough to recoup the fee. If you would spend enough, why would you turn down extra money? I don't mean that in a mean way AT ALL, but I'm just curious as to the logic behind it. For example:

With the regular DV: Spending $10,000 in the special categories gives you $100 in rewards.

With the new DV: Spending $10,000 in the special categories gives you $200 in rewards. Deducting the $49 fee, you get a total of $151 in rewards.

You come out ahead by $51. That is a lot of free money.:rotfl:

Not looking to start a debate, and I believe everyone has a right to their own choice. I am just wondering what the logic is behind the decision. Mostly wondering about people who have ONLY a DV. That is the only credit card we have, so everything goes on it. I understand the logic if you have other cards with better perks.

smitch425, I agree with you. We put a ton of money on our credit card each year - our year end statement was 28 pages. We spent over $25,000 in just the 3 categories that we'll get 2% from. That did not include anything we spent that was a Disney related item. As long as I'm doing my math correct, that's an extra $200 per year in benefits after the $49 fee. I think that's worth it. We typically don't have credit cards with fees either but this is a situation that warrants it to me. We also pay off the card each month so don't incur any interest charges. Looks like a win-win to me.

Well, crap. I did the upgrade online last Sunday night, and called today to check on the status. The phone rep said that the online upgrades can take 20 days, so he just processed the upgrade separately over the phone. My 3-5 day clock for the reward rates to change starts today, rather than last Sunday -- I had been hoping to benefit from the 5% for a big weekend grocery run :/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter