Disney Post Surgery

popstar7867

Amy Fam!
Hi Everyone,
Unfortunately I dislocated my knee cap dancing and some cartlidge broke off when I injured myself so I have to get my knee scoped 4 days before going to Disney. I'm a big walker and love to work out so it's killing me that I'm going to have to most likely be in a wheelchair for this trip.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I get a wheelchair during the trip? Also what do I do with it when lining up for a ride? Do I park it where the carriages park or can I bring it in the lines with me?

Also does anyone know the restrictions on roller coasters for someone who just had surgery? I know usually you cannot ride if you are pregnant or have heart conditions but I've never really paid too much attention to the warnings since I've always traveled healthy.

Also when renting a wheelchair at Disney can you get one that folds up and can be lifted onto the monorails or buses? I'll be able to board transportation on my own so don't want to have to delay the buses and stuff with just getting a wheelchair without passenger on and off.

Thanks so much everyone....any suggestions on flying and navigating the airport with a leg disability would also be great. I'm a little worried about going and hoping I can function a little bit so my family doesn't have to push me around the whole trip!
Amy

I took my DS about 3 weeks after breaking her hip. We rented a ecv from an offsite vendor..the scooter is at your resort at checkin.She could not get out at all (in fact I had to transfer her out of bed and bath...ect..) Your resort will usually have a wheelchair that folds that you can borrow for free (with deposit) but they tell you not to count on it because it is based on availibility.Most of the companies offsite rent a variety of wheelchairs but if you don't want your familiy to have to push you I would rent a scooter instead of a wheelchair. Also don't be embarrassed about holding up the busses loading..If it wasnt you it would be me or someone else. You don't want to overdo it that soon after surgery or hurt yourself worse just for fear of inconviencing someone.But there are a few different things you can do with the chair on rides and it really depends on what ride it is.Most fit wheelchairs throgh the line and will be there when you are done for you. Some, you have to park outside but all in all they are very accessable and there are even some you can ride in a chair on.I hope I helped and have a wonderfull trip!!

Im really starting to feel bummed out :( I got the surgery Wednesday night and am in so much pain :( I'm supposed to go to Disney Sunday morning.... This trip was really special to me. It's my cousins first time to Florida and I was so excited to show him around Disney. It's also my first time taking my family to Disney dvc style... :( I want to go in the worst way but right now getting up to walk upstairs to the bathroom is such a horribly painful experience.... I just wanted to vent... :( I'm so unbelievably sad at the timing with all this :(

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I get a wheelchair during the trip?
Use the link in my signature to get to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post #2 of that thread has information about wheelchairs and ECVs (electric mobility scooters). There are some links to rental places where you can rent wheelchairs or ECVs for your whole stay.
You can sometimes get a wheelchair from your resort, but people have posted varying results with that. Sometimes they have none and sometimes the one they have is not appropriate size or not in good condition.
Also what do I do with it when lining up for a ride? Do I park it where the carriages park or can I bring it in the lines with me?
You can park it with the carriages (strollers, for those of us in the US).
All lines are wheelchair accessible and you would be able to bring a wheelchair into line right up to the boarding area. I would strongly suggest that since some of the walks are very long - over 1/4 mile for Soarin'

There are some lines that are wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. For those, if you have an ECV can't walk it, they do have wheelchairs you can transfer into.

There are also some attractions where you can roll a wheelchair (and in some cases, an ECV) right onto the ride car.
You can get a park map for guests with disabilities at each park with the other park maps at the park entrance. The disabilities map includes information about where to enter the attractions. Since most attractions are accessible thru the regular line, it mostly says to enter thru the Standard queue.
Also does anyone know the restrictions on roller coasters for someone who just had surgery? I know usually you cannot ride if you are pregnant or have heart conditions but I've never really paid too much attention to the warnings since I've always traveled healthy.
You can look at the park maps for the attractions with warnings - they are marked with a red triangle on the map and also on a sign at the entrance to the queue.
The wording for the general warning is:
WARNING! For safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride.

In some cases, you may be able to ride, but you should talk to your doctor and see how much bumping around you can take. If you have any questions, you can ask the CM at the ride entrance or ask if one member of your party can ride first to get an idea.

For Epcot here are the attractions with warnings:
  • Mission Space the sign outside the attraction says that pregnant women are advised not the ride both the more tame (green side) and the more wild (orange side), so the green side may be too rough for you.
  • Test Track
For Magic Kingdom:
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
  • Space Mountain
  • Goofy's Barnstormer (this doesn't have a triangle warning sign on the map, but does say that pregnant women should not ride, so it's not exactly mild)
For Disney Studio
  • Star Tours
  • Rock N Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
For Animal Kingdom:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Expedition Everest
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Dinosaur
Also when renting a wheelchair at Disney can you get one that folds up and can be lifted onto the monorails or buses? I'll be able to board transportation on my own so don't want to have to delay the buses and stuff with just getting a wheelchair without passenger on and off.
Yes, you can, but you should still enter at the rear door - those wheelchairs are big and heavy.
One of the posts in the disABILITIES FAQ thread is all about bus travel; look at the index in post #1 to see which post it is in.
Thanks so much everyone....any suggestions on flying and navigating the airport with a leg disability would also be great. I'm a little worried about going and hoping I can function a little bit so my family doesn't have to push me around the whole trip!
Amy
It's late, so I can't post a whole lot and still make any sense (posting in your sleep is not good).
I will point you back toward the disABILITIES FAQs thread - I think it's post #15.

You should contact the airline to ask for skycap assistance.
You could also look into renting a wheelchair from home and bringing it with you. A wheelchair is transported free of charge and doesn't count toward the baggage allowance.

Im really starting to feel bummed out :( I got the surgery Wednesday night and am in so much pain :( I'm supposed to go to Disney Sunday morning.... This trip was really special to me. It's my cousins first time to Florida and I was so excited to show him around Disney. It's also my first time taking my family to Disney dvc style... :( I want to go in the worst way but right now getting up to walk upstairs to the bathroom is such a horribly painful experience.... I just wanted to vent... :( I'm so unbelievably sad at the timing with all this :(
Vent away. People here will understand.
It kind of goes with one of the quotes in my signature:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

ANyway, you will still be able to have a good time - just not the same good time you had planned.:wizard:

Thanks so much for the advice!! I didn't even think no safari but I guess there is a good amount of bumping and shaking around in those cars. I woke up today feeling a little better so hoping the rest of the day goes the same and I'm good to go tomorrow!!

Just to clarify if you rent a wheelchair at the parks you can't take it out of the parks (like the strollers). If you are going to another park, you just take your receipt with you and show it at the new park to get a new wheelchair. You won't have a wheelchair to worry about on buses and monorails. If you need one for other than just the parks, you need to rent from an off-site vendor or bring one from home with you.

pLEASE RENT AN ecv OFFSITE...CALL TODAY AND IT WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU. yOU WILL FEEL BETTER EACH DAY SO PLAN TO TAKE IT SLOW THE FIRST COUPLE OF DAYS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter