Disney Payment System

tgropp

DIS Veteran
We purchased a Disney Mexican Cruise inSeptember for a Feb 12 sail date. At the time, Encore cruises had said that it needed to be paid in full so we did. Last week when it was at the 90 day mark of the sail date, I went online and did the online registration. I then went to try and book Palo reservation using the Castaway Club benefit of doing it at the 90 day mark. I had no luck getting on the site so I tried a few days later and again, I had no luck. I phoned Disney Cruise help line and explained what was happening. They then informed me that Disney had not recieved any monies other than the down payment. I contacted the travel ageny who then contacted the cruise operator "Encore Cruise travel company". They than advised me that Disney does not require the final payment until 75 days ahead of the cruise and that they just needed to let Disney know that the cruise has indeed been paid in full. I found that hard to believe this and contacted Disney again and they then confirmed it. I asked them if this was their way of punishing people who do not book through Disney?

So......... if you book a Disney cruise through anyone other than Disney and you are a Castaway Club member, make sure that you will have the option of doing your dinner/spa and excursions at the 90 day window.

There is no way that travel agency should have kept your money until the 75 day mark of your cruise. If you paid it off, they should have paid off the cruise when you did. It sounds like they're running some sort of scam.

It is not DCL that is making this complicated. It is the fault of the tour operator. They are trying to hold onto your money as long as possible. DCL doesn't require payment until 75 days before but they certainly will take it early. Any TA that works with DCL regularly knows cc members that pay early usually want to take advantage of their early booking window. I also don't feel comfortable with an agency that requires full payment long before the cruiseline does. And I prefer my cc payments are charged by the cruiseline not a middleman - so that money isn't forgotten about or worst case misappropriated! Hopefully you know these companies are reputable but I wouldn't work with them.

What you have is a travel company who took your money and did not send it in to Disney. Disney does not have anything to do with how travel agents collect the money. Final payment is 75 days out for everyone. The travel agent banked your money and now will pocket the intrest it earned. You need to be sure that your money is sent on to Disney when you pay it. Unfortunaly this has happened to alot of people.
When I give money to my TA I know that the money is sent directly to Disney and I even get a receite both from my TA and Disney. I am sorry that this happened to you. I have read on these boards that some TAs have been known to hold the payments so long that it does not reach Disney by the final payment date. I hope that you asked them to submit the payment now as you have aright to expect that payment to have been made in a timely manner and this is not timely. I hope you are able to get the reservations that you wanted. Good luck

Crazy! I made several payments for our cruise and every time I could see the payment come through on my credit card as "Disney Cruise Line" or something like that. I've never heard of a company that demands that you pay in full and then keeps all of it until it's due. Not cool!

A reputable TA will always have your payment made to DCL, not to the agency!

As above, this middleman is holding your money and not sending it on to DCL. The danger of this is that if there is a problem with the agency or middleman (going bankrupt!), DCL has never gotten your money. Thus, as far as they are concerned, you don't have a cruise!

There is no excuse for the system of a middleman holding your money. I'd certainly never deal with them again and I'd be writing a formal complaint to DCL and the BBB.

A reputable TA will always have your payment made to DCL, not to the agency!

As above, this middleman is holding your money and not sending it on to DCL. The danger of this is that if there is a problem with the agency or middleman (going bankrupt!), DCL has never gotten your money. Thus, as far as they are concerned, you don't have a cruise!

There is no excuse for the system of a middleman holding your money. I'd certainly never deal with them again and I'd be writing a formal complaint to DCL and the BBB.

Don't flame me, but I'm not sure why you'd be writing a formal complaint to DCL about this. They deal with hundreds (if not thousands) of TAs and travel clearing houses all the time- and have no authority over any of them (except their own).
DCL can only process the payments as they're received- and evidently the TAs payment processor wasn't too keen on distributing the money. I'd be contacting the BBB and the TA. The BBB for obvious reasons- the TA to let them know that I'd be going elsewhere with my travel $$.

JMHO, and please don't take offense!!

I have no problem paying off my cruise to Encore Cruises ahead of time and letting them hold my money. Their policy is full payment 120 days ahead of travel date. They do not have to give Disney the money until 75 days before the cruise date. Again, I have no problem with a company holding onto my money and giving it to Disney because it is a business deal that Disney has arranged with all their cruise operators. That is their way of doing business. What I do have a problem with is Disney letting tour companies that they do business with, not require final payment till the 75 day mark, when they know that you can make advance reservations at the 90 day mark. It does not make sense....at least I dont think it does. Encore Cruises is a very reputable company, they are just following Disney rules. I would probally do the same thing. To rectify this is all Disney has to do is require full payment 90 days ahead of sail date to accomadate people who have the option of utilizing the 90 day window.

I have no problem paying off my cruise to Encore Cruises ahead of time and letting them hold my money. Their policy is full payment 120 days ahead of travel date. They do not have to give Disney the money until 75 days before the cruise date. Again, I have no problem with a company holding onto my money and giving it to Disney because it is a business deal that Disney has arranged with all their cruise operators. That is their way of doing business. What I do have a problem with is Disney letting tour companies that they do business with, not require final payment till the 75 day mark, when they know that you can make advance reservations at the 90 day mark. It does not make sense....at least I dont think it does. Encore Cruises is a very reputable company, they are just following Disney rules. I would probally do the same thing. To rectify this is all Disney has to do is require full payment 90 days ahead of sail date to accomadate people who have the option of utilizing the 90 day window.

I'm sorry, but this reasoning makes no sense. Disney requires full payment at the 75 day mark. Period. YOU have the choice to pay them directly or pay some third party who will then pay Disney. YOU can choose when you want to pay in full....you can do it 200 days out, wait until the 75 day mark, or ANY day in between. Unfortunately, YOU chose a middleman that keeps your money until the 75 day mark, EVEN THOUGH you knew the money needed to be paid in full at the 90 day mark to book excursions, etc early. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but really YOU chose to pay your money to Encore Cruises and apparently you see no problem with them keeping your money and earning interest of your money until the last possible minute when they are required to transfer it to Disney. Unfortunately, the only person to be irritated at in this situation is yourself for choosing to pay Encore when you knew that "their way of doing business" is to hold the money until the 75 day mark.

I refuse to use a travel agent that does not process my payments DIRECTLY TO DCL within 24 hours of my making a payment. You might want to consider this type of agency in the future to avoid this issue.

I do hope that you will be able to get this straigtened out so that you can get all your shore excursions, etc. booked before the 75 day window.

But Disney's policy is that payment-in-full is required at the 75 day mark. If someone is a Castaway Club member, their benefits are fully explained to them, and they know that they have the option (but not the requirement) of paying off their cruise a couple of weeks early in order to take advantage of early access to certain onboard reservations. Everyone else shouldn't be forced to pay off their cruise early because an unscrupulous agency has decided to take advantage by requiring full payment a full month-and-a-half before the actual deadline.

I'm sorry, but this reasoning makes no sense. Disney requires full payment at the 75 day mark. Period. YOU have the choice to pay them directly or pay some third party who will then pay Disney. YOU can choose when you want to pay in full....you can do it 200 days out, wait until the 75 day mark, or ANY day in between. Unfortunately, YOU chose a middleman that keeps your money until the 75 day mark, EVEN THOUGH you knew the money needed to be paid in full at the 90 day mark to book excursions, etc early. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but really YOU chose to pay your money to Encore Cruises and apparently you see no problem with them keeping your money and earning interest of your money until the last possible minute when they are required to transfer it to Disney. Unfortunately, the only person to be irritated at in this situation is yourself for choosing to pay Encore when you knew that "their way of doing business" is to hold the money until the 75 day mark.

I refuse to use a travel agent that does not process my payments DIRECTLY TO DCL within 24 hours of my making a payment. You might want to consider this type of agency in the future to avoid this issue.

I do hope that you will be able to get this straigtened out so that you can get all your shore excursions, etc. booked before the 75 day window.

Very well said.

But Disney's policy is that payment-in-full is required at the 75 day mark. If someone is a Castaway Club member, their benefits are fully explained to them, and they know that they have the option (but not the requirement) of paying off their cruise a couple of weeks early in order to take advantage of early access to certain onboard reservations. Everyone else shouldn't be forced to pay off their cruise early because an unscrupulous agency has decided to take advantage by requiring full payment a full month-and-a-half before the actual deadline.

I agree, for those that are higher than silver castaway club members they need to pay their cruise off even earlier than the 90 day mark if they want to book their excursions and Palo.

Very well said.

I agree, for those that are higher than silver castaway club members they need to pay their cruise off even earlier than the 90 day mark if they want to book their excursions and Palo.

Yes. This exactly. I am sorry, OP, but Disney should not change their policy because you chose a shady travel agent. I have used DU many times, and have never had a problem booking at the time booking opened for my Castaway level. Good luck in getting the things you want booked.

Don't flame me, but I'm not sure why you'd be writing a formal complaint to DCL about this. They deal with hundreds (if not thousands) of TAs and travel clearing houses all the time- and have no authority over any of them (except their own).
DCL can only process the payments as they're received- and evidently the TAs payment processor wasn't too keen on distributing the money. I'd be contacting the BBB and the TA. The BBB for obvious reasons- the TA to let them know that I'd be going elsewhere with my travel $$.

JMHO, and please don't take offense!!

Flower, no flames. My suggestion in complaining to DCL is that they don't know they have a "bad apple" in the bunch unless the affected individual tells them. They CAN refuse to work with a TA or clearing house if they so choose.

No, I didn't expect DCL to do anything in regard to the OP...but it might affect their business dealings with this company.

:thumbsup2

Sorry I still think you are pointing the blame the wrong way. The standard DCL policy for all (whether booking direct, through a TA, through a tour operator, or through a cruise clearinghouse) is that final payment usually due 75 days before the start of the cruise. The tour operator decides if they are passing along your money immediately or waiting until the 75 day mark. You say DCL should require them to pass it along at 90 days so you could make your reservations. Are you going to change that philosophy to 105 days when you are gold cc; and 120 days when you are platinum? Gee I know an effective policy for the tour operator - pass along payment immediately.

The issue here is not that DCL requires payment-in-full at 75 days, the issue here is that CC members, depending on their level, have perks if they pay earlier than that. If you handle your own travel arrangements, then you are in complete control of when payment is made. But.....you are using an agency, so that makes the situation different.

It's obvious that you paid early enough to take advantage of your perks for your particular CC status. But, did you ever specifically request that the agency forward your payment to DCL asap, or even to make sure that payment was sent prior to the 90 day mark? If you did make that request, did your tour operator refuse to forward the payment asap to DCL even though you've requested them to do so? Then, the issue is between you and them.

As other posters have mentioned, above, CC perks kick in at different times depending on your CC status. It is indeed unfortunate that you didn't communicate this to your TA, if that is the case.....and if you did tell them and they did not make payment to DCL when you asked, then I would agree with others that they do not sound like a reputable agency.

(Also, on that note, one other thought.....if the TA knew this was not your first cruise, they really should be familiar enough with the various cruise lines to know that you were obviously a CC member and would have those perks. It's their business to know such things about cruising!)

On a brighter note, it is fairly easy to book a Palo brunch and/or dinner once you're onboard; there always seem to be openings and even when we've been waitlisted, they've always been able to accommodate us for what we wanted. Good luck!

I'm sorry, but the agency or broker has no right to keep your money. It should have been sent to DCL as soon as it was paid. Reality--it should have been PAID DIRECTLY to DCL, not to the agency. It goes "thru" them, but not "to" them.

I lose nothing by using a reputable agent--my payments go directly to DCL. It is DCL that appears on my credit card statement and DCL to whom I make out a check if I choose that method of payment. In fact, my TA will send me a reminder about 2 weeks before my "reservations" date reminding me that I can make those reservations if I am paid in full, but my payment isn't due until 75 days in advance. If I don't authorize the earlier payment, I'll get another reminder before the 75 days point.

The first problem is that your agent isn't going directly thru DCL. They are using this broker, probably to enable them to bundle their number of reservations and get a bigger commission. There is no reason that a local agent can't deal directly with DCL! No need for the middleman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter