Disney Patents a Lightsaber

I've read this a handful of times now, and I'm still not seeing how the patent describes the "lightsaber" as working. Rather the patent seems to be about allowing a lightsaber prop to deflect something that looks like a real laser bolt. The lightsaber itself as described is just a stick with an IR LED attached.

Still a neat trick, and one that would blow most six year olds minds.

I've read this a handful of times now, and I'm still not seeing how the patent describes the "lightsaber" as working. Rather the patent seems to be about allowing a lightsaber prop to deflect something that looks like a real laser bolt. The lightsaber itself as described is just a stick with an IR LED attached.

Still a neat trick, and one that would blow most six year olds minds.

...ummm...yeah...

Lightsabers of the ewan macgreggor, cgi ninja capacity are actually physically impossible...

Might be setting your sights too high ;)

...ummm...yeah...

Lightsabers of the ewan macgreggor, cgi ninja capacity are actually physically impossible...

Might be setting your sights too high ;)

Well duh. It's technically possible[1] to simulate in real time the glow and visual properties of a light saber. My point was, people seem to be thinking that this is that. It's not. It seems to be to pull off a neat laser deflection effect, which while cool, is significantly less technically challenging, and would work just as well if you were waving a bog-standard TV remote around.

[1] I doubt inside Disney's PaR budget though.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

(Translation into responsible adult, "My, but I am positively disposed towards this new development, even if it is just Disney plussing.")

On a more serious note, how do you imagine they will stop people from hitting each other with the Lightsabers? At Jedi Training they have multiple CMs to keep the kids from fighting, but if you spread it out like a ride. . .plus will adults take to the constant reminders to "play safe"?

Ah, man, I just killed my own buzz.

On a more serious note, how do you imagine they will stop people from hitting each other with the Lightsabers? At Jedi Training they have multiple CMs to keep the kids from fighting, but if you spread it out like a ride. . .plus will adults take to the constant reminders to "play safe"?

Don't overthink it, dude...

I'll tell you what...anything that resembles a light saber that is less painful than the Kenner 1983 return of the Jedi hard plastic tube versions?

I'm in...I still have bumps from those

They already sell plastic lightsabers and kids of all ages are swinging them around everywhere now. parents so far have been pretty good but I've seen and experienced some close calls with them being waved around, especially a bored kid in line.

The Disney light saber will be made of light...so there wont be anything to actually hit people with.

While I think an updated Jedi training experience would be nice...I sure hope they let us adults play with these too!

The Disney light saber will be made of light...so there wont be anything to actually hit people with.

I want to believe (I'm assuming you are right the patent application might as well be, "We will sacrifice one goat, while praying to the ancient old ones." for all I was able to read it). That would indeed be sweet.

I was talking about a SPECIFIC product from long ago...

These things are child's play these days

Are these what you're talking about?

rotj-saber-display.jpg

Yeah, those things could lay a hurtin on someone. Especially the rounded cross-hatched bit in the tip. Today's versions would just break off under the same force rather than raise welts.

Are these what you're talking about?

rotj-saber-display.jpg

Yeah, those things could lay a hurtin on someone. Especially the rounded cross-hatched bit in the tip. Today's versions would just break off under the same force rather than raise welts.

Those are the ones...the tips of those things were nasty...like more strength than the armor plating on a tank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter