Disney or Marriott?

Thanks for all the great information! According to contract Marriott DOES have a first right of refusal. I am told they don't take advantage of that as much as DVC though. I looked into the Marriott Grand Residence Program. It starts around $185,000. Now, that is alot of points!

Why not buy in Hawaii when you can get 2 weeks for the price of one outside of Hawaii?

We own at Disney's OKW and at Marriott's Newport Coast. The reason we bought into Marriott is because we enjoyed our stays in spacious 2BR condos at OKW so much, that we wanted to stay in similar high-quality vacation condos at Newport Coast and other Marriott locations.

Originally posted by neiman5
Why not buy in Hawaii when you can get 2 weeks for the price of one outside of Hawaii?
The four Marriott Vacation Club resorts in Hawaii have high purchase prices (whether new or resale) and high maintenance fees. If you plan to go to your home resort often and you can afford the cost, then a Marriott in Hawaii can be a terrific investment in future vacations. (We seriously considered buying an every-other-year week at Ko'Olina.) If you're only buying in Hawaii to get a "trader," you'll get great trading power, but you'll pay a lot of money for it in the long run.

There are two ways to get "2 weeks for the price of one" when trading a Marriott week through Interval International (II). The first is to buy a 2-BR lock-off, and use the 1-BR side and the studio side for two different exchanges. In theory, II will only exchange into the same size units, but many people are successful at "trading up" (studio to 1BR, or 1BR to 2BR). The second way is to deposit a 2BR high-demand week with II and get a "bonus week" in addition to your main exchange. Such a bonus week carries far more restrictions and a much higher exchange fee than your regular week.

You don't have to buy in Hawaii to get lock-offs or bonus weeks.

A high-demand week that would qualify for a bonus week would be a summer week in Hilton Head, a summer or early fall week in Newport Coast, and other peak times at prime locations where demand substantially exceeds supply.

This reply is getting way too long, so let me stop at the end of this paragraph. You might want to look into joining the Timeshare User Group at http://www.tug2.net to learn more about your options when buying and exchanging timeshares. There's no one right answer; the right choice is the choice that's right for you.

DEAR SIR
I own DVC and MArriott Beach Place Towers In Ft Lauderdale,FL
I strongly encourage you to own DVC. MY DVC is worth more than what I paid for it and I bought it retail.

I purchased MBPT 4 36% of retail value, as a resale. What does that tell you.

Also I joined INTERVAL INTERNATIONAL. I can easily get a instant getaway to many Marriott Properties.
here is an example. I got one week at my home resort MBPT in FT LAUDERDALE,FL for $699, less than one years annual dues.

I was also given a bonus week, when I traded with MArriott, my Marriott Beach Place Towers, for Marriott Maui Beach Club.
THen Interval International Gave me a Bonus week, so I used it to get another week, at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club, for $199.

If you are with me, my Marriott Beach Place Towers one week, has lead to
1 week at MBPT INSTANT GETAWAY for $699
and then I traded it for one week at Marriott Maui Beach CLub and
then I got a bonus week, that got me one week at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club, for only$199.

also if you ever want to get a Marriott GRANDE VISTA or MARRIOTT CYRPRESS HARBOUR, you can use a INTERVAL INTERNATIONAL, instant getaway,for a week, at one of these resorts in orlando,Fl. I see many available in July,2003 for less than one years annual dues, plus no cost for unit, or trade fees.

MAJOR POINT. If you can easily trade into Marriott Kauai or even get a week, for only $199.
while this is virtually impossible happening for the Disney Vacation Club, wouldn't DVC, be so much more better decision, than Marriott.

My point, it is virtually impossible to trade into WDW DVC and the value OF DVC points are going up not down 64%. Which is more valuable DVC or Marriott.

With a marriott ownership in Ft Lauderdale,FL. I can get into about any marriott in the world, including Kauai and Maui, with direct trade. Maybe, as a bonus week, for as little as $199.

Why would you purchase the Marriott Kauai Property.
retail?

Why not do the following

purchase WDW DVC POints retail or resale
and then get a strong Marriott Property, like MBPT in Ft LUAderdale,Fl as a resale.
and save $20,000 off the retail purchase price of the Marriott Kauai Property.

one final point. I have made friends, with a man, named Dean on this board. He is one of the nicest and most wonderful persons, though I have never met him yet in person. I would try to make contact with him and do exactly what he tells you to do. He is helpful and kind and patient, with my many stupid qeustions. He is totally responsible, for things, working out with me, so much with Interval Internation recently.

I know exactly where you are coming from!! I went through the same dilemma as you did. We decided to buy into Marriott - and here's my reasons why. We have 3 children 8-13-15. We love disney and when I go we stay on-site, but we go about every 2 years on an average. We bought into the new Aruba Surf Club - check it out. We had a friend that owns three locations with Marriott and told us about it. Great prices on purchasing it because it's under constuction and will be available in July 2004. I was also told Aruba has great trade power. It's next to two other Marriott resorts that you have access to.
I felt because we have a large family it was the best for our $$. You don't use points-you use 7 night stays. Convert that the DVC points! Marriott has a bigger selection of trades and more ways to earn reward points. We would have to purchase a lot of points with DVC to make it work. It would cost us 270 points in a 2-bdrm for 5 nights! Yikes!. So we bought Marriott and my brother bought disney - we are going to trade. I have learned already that it's almost impossible to do an II trade into Disney because the resorts are never available-even if you try a year in advance. Disney is great but I felt the time share would only benefit me for on-site resorts. So in 2004 - my brother is booking at BCV, his home resort, for me so we can go June 2004. I would like to own both but hey, a nurse's salary, husband, and three kids - can't afford that!!!
Our Marriott rep is great so email me if you want more info on what we did. I hope this helps.

Originally posted by Dean
Threads take on a life of their own sometimes. Essentially everything here is related to DVC vs Marriott which was the original question. If you insist that all responses be specific to your exact situation and nothing else, I think you're in the wrong place.

Ha! This quote is priceless. Dean's agenda is always more important. Let's not let facts or truth get in the way. So much for objective reasoning.

Originally posted by Bottlejet
Ha! This quote is priceless. Dean's agenda is always more important. Let's not let facts or truth get in the way. So much for objective reasoning.
I'm sorry you don't appreciate my insights into DVC or Marriott. I don't believe you're an owner of either. I'd love to hear what my agenda is other than being honest with the info I do have. Aren't you the one touting renting at $5 per point? You can put me on your ignore list or we can take this to private email if you like.

I'm sorry you don't appreciate my insights into DVC or Marriott. I don't believe you're an owner of either. I'd love to hear what my agenda is other than being honest with the info I do have. Aren't you the one touting renting at $5 per point? You can put me on your ignore list or we can take this to private email if you like.

slrap.gif

We own at both Marriott and DVC (and another at the Renaissance Aruba Beach Resort in Aruba). Here is what works for us.

We use the Aruba timeshare as a trader each year at various places. It is a good trader. We always have gotten a 2 or 3 bedroom trade with it and it is only a 1 bedroom unit.

We have 154 DVC points at Old Key West. We use this at WDW every two years.

We own at the Marriott Manor Club in Williamsburg, VA. It is within a three hour driving distance of our home. We use this or trade for another Marriott resort every other year we don't go to WDW. This year we are going to the Marriott Barony Beach Club on Hilton Head Island. On the years we go to WDW we trade it back in to Marriott for Reward Points to use at a later date for vacation packages to whereever.

This works well for us. We get a diversity of vacations as well as do WDW every other year. Not enough for some, but enough for us.

Bart

I own two Marriotts -- the new Waiohai on Kauai and the Desert Springs II in Palm Desert. I do not own DVC. IMHO, if you are not planning to do Disney World or Florida often, I would buy Marriott in Hawaii. I posted a request for a direct exchange with a DVC member and received many replies because lots of people want to go to a nice resort in Hawaii! Hopefully we will be staying at Boardwalk Villas in 2004 in exchange for my Waiohai. As you know from the presentation, Marriott provides lots of options for the use of your timeshare, so if you can only afford one purchase, I would make it a high-end/high trading power Marriott.

I have seen Dean be nothing but helpful on this board and the TUG board. Don't waste your time trying to figure out his agenda. Whatever it may be, I have not seen it interfere with his thoughtful advice on timeshares.

I toured Marriott before I bought DVC. I will say that it appears some of the Marriott resorts (ie. the Grand Ocean in Hilton Head) are holding their value VERY well. I was concerned by a post I read from Dean the other day that indicated some of the Marriott resorts in HH would cease to be Marriott. I have NOT researched this, but.... it certainly made me wonder about them.

I think that if you buy to trade or go lots of different places then Marriott or another resort would probably be a better deal than DVC.

(By the way, Dean I have always appreciated your advice. Thanks!)

I am also grateful for the many times, dean has given me advice on discussion board threads, and direct emails over nad over again
He can have any agenda he wants on any thread, as far as I am concerned

Originally posted by CarolA
I was concerned by a post I read from Dean the other day that indicated some of the Marriott resorts in HH would cease to be Marriott. I have NOT researched this, but.... it certainly made me wonder about them. (By the way, Dean I have always appreciated your advice. Thanks!)
Thanks for the support everyone but I'm fine. One simply has to search on the DVC boards and Rent/Trade Board under the posters name and read the threads to know where he's coming from. We have clashed before but I've never heckled him.

On HH, three Marriott resorts are no more come 31 December of this year. The Saturday Villas, a collection of units in various resorts, were dumped last year and are being managed by a local resale company on HH two of which were on the Board of Spicebush and Swallowtail. SB and ST will no longer be Marriott's after this year. Longboat in FL and the Paradise Island resort were dropped in the last year or 2. That only leaves Harbour Pointe, part of Monarch and part of Vail that were not built by Marriott that are still in their system. The handwriting had been on the wall for several years about all properties. I had advance warning on 2 for several years and had predicted the other 3 would go away within 5-7 years, it took less, about 3 years. That makes my Harbour Pointe more valuable both from a cash standpoint and an internal trader.

Yes, but if I had bought those HH timeshares assuming they were Marriott I would NOT be happy right now. I have looked at Spicebush resales. While I think Marriott has a great HH product they are just a little too rich for me right now.

Originally posted by CarolA
Yes, but if I had bought those HH timeshares assuming they were Marriott I would NOT be happy right now. I have looked at Spicebush resales. While I think Marriott has a great HH product they are just a little too rich for me right now.
Agreed but Marriott fulfilled their contract and obligation and moved on. These were not resorts built by Marriott though they were sold by Marriott resales. Many who bought to exchange internally aren't happy. Though unlikely, the same could happen at DVC.

We just bought into Marriott Surf Club Aruba last month. I too, like everyone else went back and forth. When I go to Disney-about every other year-I HAVE to stay on site. I found it to be disappointing when I tried - a year in advance-to trade into a DVC property. II wasn't to optimistic that I could do it. My brother just bought into DVC so I am purchasing points from him in 2004 to stay at BCV. I'm new at this and don't know much about the trading. What would be the best way to solve my problem? Should I purchase a low amount of points with DVC and just go every other year? Would it be worth it? What do the other dual owners do?

Hi Dean! Glad to hear from you again. You are entirely correct in that I do not "own" a DVC or Marriott timeshare. Why buy when I can rent? I go to WDW 4 to 6 times a year. I have stayed in many of the resorts. As I mentioned to you before, I am a bargain hound. While I can easily afford the full price of deluxe accommodations, I don't like to line the pockets of travel agents and timeshare sales artists. Why should I (or anyone else) pay for accommodations at WDW up front (40 years in advance)? I just shop for price. Deals on WDW resorts abound. When I last spoke with you, DVC rentals were routinely going for about $5.25 to $6.50 a point, but that was last year when the economy was in the pits. Now, DVC rentals are up to $8.00 and better! Some folks are even getting the "customary rate" of $10.00 per point. Good for them! However you can't deny that DVC rental points go for what a willing buyer and a willing seller agree upon. A 40 year lease is too much for a lot of people, however, they don't take the long term into account. I do. My family and I are staying at the Boardwalk later this month for 2 weeks. We got it for $5.75 a point! You should be happy for me because I got such a great deal. However you always seem to treat me with distain and ask that I contact you via a private message. I am no threat to you. I think you are touting a timeshare page (agenda).

I fully acknowledge that my reports are anecdotal and do not apply to less knowledgeable visitors to WDW. Your mileage may vary. If we educate the WDW visiting public to the great deals that abound then I think everyone benefits in the long run. Ignorance never settles a question Dean.

Bottlejet, rentals were always at that level, you just got lucky and took advantage of either someones ignorance or situation and got an EXTREMELY low price a couple of times. That parts OK and I have no problem with it. I have no problem with bargain hunting, I just felt and still do, that you were talking down the prices with a purpose (in part) of trying to make your prediction come through and so that you'd have acess to lower rentals. Not much different than pointing out the defects on a use car or house before making an offer. You may actaully believe what you post but it's way out in left field. Had you posted something like "I got a great deal at $6 pp" I would have had no problem. But you basically posted this was the norm and people shouldn't buy because of it. I simply posted my honest opinion of what you were doing while everyone else was just thinking it. I don't think I could be accused of being a DVC homer, I've been one of the more criticle of DVC I think.

Now if one is willing to rent an exchange gotten from II then you can still get prices in that range. It's risky for you and the person offering but it can be done. I'm just wondering why you came looking for me to post a negative comment that was not related to the thread. As you can see on this thread, others here do not see me as having an agenda. I have at times rented points and do have it posted on my webpage which is simply entitled "My Timeshare Page". Since I have no points to rent the next 1-2 years at least, I'd have to tell you no if you're asking to rent points from me.

The reason I suggested in both instances for private email was that I don't want to be too off topic or too negative on the board. I try to respect the rules and other peoples feelings as much as possible and still be honest. How well I do in that area is for others to decide. And we are getting way beyond where we should be even now.

. And we are getting way beyond where we should be even now.

Dean and bottlejet.........go to your respective corners now.
249.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter