Disney On to Possible Cheaters

ctinct

DIS Veteran
I remember some time ago a discussion somewhere on the boards that some unscrupulous people might in theory "add" a phantom person onto their reservation, thereby gaining more meals for the cost of a one-day ticket. Thankfully Disney seems to have consisdered this possibility. We made a slight change to our reservation and I just received the confirmation in the mail. There is a new line added, which was not on our original confirmation: "Please note: Your reservation includes Disney Dining Plan components. In order to claim these components, all members of your party must be present at check-in or your reservation will be modified." Go Disney!

Unfortunately, this makes check-in more difficult for those of us who have guests arriving at different times. My God-Daughter will be joining us in WDW but won't be arriving 'til later in the day. I'm hoping our worst-case scenario is that we have to wait in the check-in line twice, and not that she has to go without the package elements I purchased for her.

Hate to say it, but we just came home yesterday and I checked in for both my husband and myself, and the other family I was traveling with had the Mom check in for her husband and two kids. No one asked about all of us being there, and the others were outside the hotel doors, completely out of sight. I can't remember where I read it, but I think I actually read that one adult member can check in and pick up tickets/cards etc for the whole party booked under that reservation.

sptddog said:
Hate to say it, but we just came home yesterday and I checked in for both my husband and myself, and the other family I was traveling with had the Mom check in for her husband and two kids. No one asked about all of us being there, and the others were outside the hotel doors, completely out of sight. I can't remember where I read it, but I think I actually read that one adult member can check in and pick up tickets/cards etc for the whole party booked under that reservation.

I saw that line in my packet to, and hope that what happened to sptddog happens for us! My friend gets in with her 22 month old at 10am, I get in at midnight the same day (some of us have to work for a living, y'know. :p )...

I really hope this isn't the case for DVC reservations. We will be there a week before the rest of the family gets there. We'll have the DP for that week just for the 3 of us, and have planned breakfast at Cape May Cafe as that is where we will be transferring to spend the rest of the vacation with the larger group.

There are 2 families in our room and we have DP added to the reservation (I hope - MS says we do, but I'll definately call and double-check before we leave). Since they'll be driving down that day and we'll already be there, I was hoping we could check in and enjoy the pool, do laundry, etc (once the room was available) while waiting for the rest of the group. If we have to wait to check in until they're there, we might be in trouble.

Mur!

sptddog said:

This has to do with check in during Free Dining, it would not affect your check in.

I think this will only be an issue during the free dining. I can't imagine anyone making up a phantom person and PAYING an extra $38 a day throughout someone's stay.

n2mm said:
I think this will only be an issue during the free dining. I can't imagine anyone making up a phantom person and PAYING an extra $38 a day throughout someone's stay.

If they were going to do it, it would be a child otherwise there is also the extra adult room occupancy cost, esp while Disney do not differentiate between the adult and child credits when they are pooled.

Makes no sense to do this. Disney charges by the person when staying at a WDW room (non DVC). Where's the point?

Disney does not charge per person in the room. I can have 4 guests or 1 guest in my room and it will cost the same. If I book for 4 adults in a value resort, pay for 1 day tickets for 4 adults, I can have free dining for 4 adults even if it is just me. That would be a huge loss for Disney. This is what they are avoiding with this policy. And it does apply to free dining.

The first two adults would be the same price. Then the nightly fee would increase, per person, up to the allotted number allowed in a room. I think it is $10 each at values, $15 at moderates, and $25 at deluxes.

:rolleyes: aaaa *duh,, if only I had known!! I could've have gotten MORE food!! But noooOOOO my simple mind doesnt think like that!! Imagine..

I am always simply amazed at the links shoplifters go through, I only know about this because of the precautions stores institute and make us "naive" shoppers go through... so once again, I am ignorant on how to cheat the system......

I'm oblivious as I walk down mainstreet, holding back tears as I gaze upon THE castle... I believe in love, I believe in happy endings, I am such a sap! an "ignorant",,, well you know... :rolleyes:

I had toyed with this idea. When I am in Disney I end up with a close friend's kids and teen aged sister with me at the parks at least one or 2 days during the trip. I had thought about getting them tickets and adding them to the ressie. On check in I would upgrade those tickets to non expiring so the next time I was in town I wouldn't have to hassle with when their parents could get them into the parks. ( both parents work for Disney) but I know my friend would kill me for spending the money on the tickets.

It is a shame that the manner in which some guests choose to exploit the Dining Plan seems to be forcing Disney to take measures that will make things less convenient for all guests, including those who voluntarily use the Dining Plan as it is intended.

I guess I don't get it. WHO would eat these meals? From what I understand of the DDP it is only good for the days you are there, right? And it is enough food for a small army....what would you DO with the extra person's food?

Would it be for guests not staying at your hotel with you? Or for additional meals at other times????

Dawn

For me, I would much rather eat a TS 2 times a day, than eat a TS and a CS and a snack. I am sure that is what they are doing. Eating all table service meals.

bicker said:
It is a shame that the manner in which some guests choose to exploit the Dining Plan seems to be forcing Disney to take measures that will make things less convenient for all guests, including those who voluntarily use the Dining Plan as it is intended.

:thumbsup2 ::yes:: Exactly! And people wonder why the prices just keep getting higher and higher and why cool programs are discontinued. You can almost be guaranteed that the days of a free dining promotion will be pretty much over if they aren't successful in stopping people from scamming the system.

DawnM said:
I guess I don't get it. WHO would eat these meals? From what I understand of the DDP it is only good for the days you are there, right? And it is enough food for a small army....what would you DO with the extra person's food?

I think (as I would NOT do this) that there may be the use on signature dininng where 2 credits are used, or where TS breakfasts are eaten.

I can see having to use more for character/buffet meals, but I keep looking at the dining plan and thinking, "there is NO way we could eat all that food!"

BTW: Is there any character dining that is TS? We just hate buffets as none of us can eat enough to warrant paying the price! (seriously, we usually get 1 adult meal and 1 kids meal at places like Applebees and it is plenty for us!)

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter