Disney on the cheap with 3 5 and under with a resort?

Do you realize that the Disney Dining Plan is an additional $56 per adult and $18 per child (3 and over) per day over the price of your room and park tickets?

saw your edit LOL

Yeah I forgot to add I got a new quote. And once we added up everything we were still comfortable with how much it was since it really just means cutting back on the souviners for us and with the kids ages we felt more charecter dinners outweigh souveniers.

Oh I know :) but by the time we figured it all up theres not much of a price difference for us and paying OOP would probably sadly cause alot of arguements because of the money and I do NOT want to argue on my trip so if a little bit extra money before hand will prevent the arguing over every little thing then Im all for it.
Understood. I do whatever I can to keep money from becoming an issue during our vacations, too.

When you stated that $20 was too much for one person's meal, it sounded as if you didn't know that the dining plan was more than double that amount and it only covers one TS meal and one CS meal. It's quite a change from freezing casseroles to take along on your trip in order to keep costs down.

BTW - Don't forget to budget for tips. They aren't included in the dining plan.

IMO, you would do a lot better financial without DDP. You still need to tip on top of that. I don't see the value in DDP. You pay one way or the other & with DDP, you buy way more food than you need upfront & most people aren't even aware of "what" they are buying, only that everything is "free" once they get there. Disney does nothing for free; they are making money on DDP.

Understood. I do whatever I can to keep money from becoming an issue during our vacations, too.

When you stated that $20 was too much for one person's meal, it sounded as if you didn't know that the dining plan was more than double that amount and it only covers one TS meal and one CS meal. It's quite a change from freezing casseroles to take along on your trip in order to keep costs down.

BTW - Don't forget to budget for tips. They aren't included in the dining plan.

I originally wanted to do the meal plan but my husband veto'd it because it wouldnt bother him to leave the park to eat but he didnt get how it would affect the rest of us until I had other people saying what I was trying to say in the beginning. He was also set on renting the points and paying more for the lodging if it was AKL because it sounded interesting to him but without it he told me to get the dining plan and a value hotel (which IIRC doesnt include a micro/fridge)

IMO, you would do a lot better financial without DDP. You still need to tip on top of that. I don't see the value in DDP. You pay one way or the other & with DDP, you buy way more food than you need upfront & most people aren't even aware of "what" they are buying, only that everything is "free" once they get there. Disney does nothing for free; they are making money on DDP.

Im not worried about not using the food. My husband is a firefighter (albeit volunteer right now) and has the appetite of one so to feed him and my kids who eat like him it is about the same for us to do the plan. Also the arguing is worth the extra money to me since he was already driving me crazy complaining about the prices on the menus without even being there and in the middle of it all.

I would also rent a fridge (or a fridge swap), as water/drinks/milk are a big expense that can be helped by a room fridge. I find the fridge rental cost still saves more than it would cost for either upgrade to moderate or purchase of all dinks & breakfast, as we can get cereal & milk & eat breakfast in room.

I would also rent a fridge (or a fridge swap), as water/drinks/milk are a big expense that can be helped by a room fridge. I find the fridge rental cost still saves more than it would cost for either upgrade to moderate or purchase of all dinks & breakfast, as we can get cereal & milk & eat breakfast in room.
I think that all Value resorts now have refrigerators in the room and a microwave in the food court.

Both times we've visited Walt Disney World with the children we went during the offseason in Feb. The weather was cool, the rates were cheaper and the lines were minimal. It made such a big difference for our family. We were able take advantage of the winter season discounting on the deluxe hotels and really spread out our vacation.

May actually isnt that bad for us but then again we are from FL so what yall think is hot is nice for us LOL.

We havea friend coming from Canada so changing the time isnt really going to work anyway. I just know its sometime in mid May.

May actually isnt that bad for us but then again we are from FL so what yall think is hot is nice for us LOL.

We havea friend coming from Canada so changing the time isnt really going to work anyway. I just know its sometime in mid May.
Will the friend be sharing the room with you? Aside from paying the nightly "extra adult" fee, you would also have to be concerned about exceeding the occupancy limits for the resort and whether your friend is willing to pay for the dining plan as well (everyone on the reservation must purchase the plan for all nights of your stay).

Will the friend be sharing the room with you? Aside from paying the nightly "extra adult" fee, you would also have to be concerned about exceeding the occupancy limits for the resort and whether your friend is willing to pay for the dining plan as well (everyone on the reservation must purchase the plan for all nights of your stay).

No shes house/pet sitting for someone in Orlando.

We are staying at akl conceirage in nov. we haven't done wdw in 4 years and only have done it once. I'm a dvc member but have been doing the cruise. Any tips regarding
Cooler
Wheel cart
Renting car worth it
Groceries
Naps?

Thanks! My kids are 10 and 6. Also I got bibbidi appts and cinderalla table on nov 10 but the estimate is for crowds to be a 9 out of 10. Don't know what I should do

My opinion is just my opinion but here goes:
You can bring a small cooler and/or a wheeled cart into the parks but it is not something I would ever do. We travel as lightly as we possibly can. Many people will use a cart (or a stroller until their kids are teenagers) so they can haul all of their stuff around but there really is no need. You can get free ice water in the parks and the meals are huge and anything you purchase can be sent back to your room. What do you think you need to carry around? It is so much easier to get around in the parks if you just hold hands and go!

We never rent a car, we LOVE riding the Disney buses/boats/monorail. It is so nice not to have to worry about following signs and parking and stuff. Some people complain a lot about waiting for the buses but we have never had problems with them at all.

You can order groceries from www.gardengrocer.com to be delivered to your room. They are awesome!!

Your kids are old enough not to need naps, we never did them even when our kids were young ;)

I need to add, IF you are up early each day and full force all day and stay for the evening fireworks you will all get tired. Plan some down time every third day or so. No one can burn the candle at both ends for too long.

We are not early risers. We always let our kids take it easy in the morning. But then we never went back to the room to nap or rest. Our kids never wanted to leave once we got into a park, they would just feel like they would miss too much.

Also, you do realize that concierge level has a ton of food available for you all the time right? I doubt you will need much more in the way of groceries.

I think we will just stay at the music resort then. Good point of going there to eat! Can you go there and just walk around?

While you can only swim at the resort you are staying at you can visit any resort to eat, shop, or just look around. We have eaten at AKL several times, and will again this December, but we have never stayed there.

We love the dining plan but we never pay for it. We always go for free food!

You can eat at any restaurant you want, and make reservations too, even if you don't have the dining plan. The dining plan is just pre-loaded onto your room keys so it is so easy.

We are staying in a Lion King suite at Art of Animation for our next trip. I cannot wait! We have stayed in many WDW resorts in many categories, we love trying all of them princess:

My opinion is just my opinion but here goes:
You can bring a small cooler and/or a wheeled cart into the parks but it is not something I would ever do.
Here's the official policy on coolers according to the owners of the disboards:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/coolers.htm
Magic Kingdom
  • Small coolers (that one person can carry) that will fit into the lockers under the Train Station are allowed. Coolers will be inspected for glass and alcoholic beverages which are not permitted.
Disneys Animal Kingdom
  • Allowed ONLY for medical purposes. If a guest is in need of medication, they may bring a cooler and store it in a locker. If it will not fit into the locker, the cooler will be kept at Guest Relations. Coolers are not allowed in the Theme Park. Coolers will be inspected for glass and alcoholic beverages which are not permitted.
Disney-MGM Studios
  • Small coolers that will fit into the lockers are allowed. Coolers will be inspected for glass and alcoholic beverages which are not permitted.
Epcot
  • Small coolers (that one person can carry) that will fit into the lockers are allowed. Coolers will be inspected for glass and alcoholic beverages which are not permitted
Water Parks(Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon)
  • Coolers of a size that may be safely carried are permitted
  • No glass containers or alcoholic beverages allowed
  • No storage areas for coolers
Rolling bags or wagons that you drag behind you are not permitted in the parks because they are a trip hazard. But strollers are. I'm of the opinion that if you don't have a child that needs a stroller, you also don't need to be dragging a ton of stuff all over the parks. Rent a locker instead and go back to retrieve your stuff when you need it. Better yet, leave it back at your room.

Here's the official policy on coolers according to the owners of the disboards:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/coolers.htm

Rolling bags or wagons that you drag behind you are not permitted in the parks because they are a trip hazard. But strollers are. I'm of the opinion that if you don't have a child that needs a stroller, you also don't need to be dragging a ton of stuff all over the parks. Rent a locker instead and go back to retrieve your stuff when you need it. Better yet, leave it back at your room.

great info :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter