disney on a dime?

stahshee

wheres my Camero?
anyone have that book? I am intrested in it. Have you learned really great tips? :cheer2: should I buy it?

I enjoyed it, but found most of it didn't apply to us because we are planning to stay onsite and use the DDP and use the airlines. If we were driving, staying offsite, camping, and getting meals without DDP there would have been tons more info for us.

Spend your 11.95 on something you want at WDW. This book really is not worth the money. If you still want to read it get from your library and then decide if you want to own it.

Ruby princess:

I got this from the library. Basically, they recommend that you drive, stay offsite in a budget hotel that offers free breakfast, buy only the tickets that you need (think about hoppers...), eat meals in your room (microwave hot pockets, sandwiches...), or eat counter service. They also recommend that you buy souveniers before you get to Disney.

It wasn't particularly creative, but perhaps useful for people who may think that a Disney trip has to be expensive, and think that they can't afford to go if they need to stay deluxe... Their argument is that the magic of Disney is all in the parks.

They sure seem like nice folks, but the book is the pits. As mentioned, it suggested hot pockets for dinner at the hotel (off site) and pizza rolls for lunch, or something like that! I'd much rather stay home!! That plan would leave such LITLE time for Disney. Imagine staying off site and returning for both lunch and dinner. I thought it was a terrible plan and would not feel at all like a vacation to me! I am a tight spender and the first time we did WDW, it was exactly like the book suggested. We went for a week, and I fussed when my DH bought my DD2 a mickey ice cream bar because I thought it was over priced! And that was the only thing we bought in the park all week!! :lmao: That's TIGHT!! But for me, it is not relaxing at all, and feels depressing to live like that on vacation. I'd rather stay home, without a doubt. As for the book, save your money. That will buy 4 ice cream bars! :banana:

Not only that, but there are things in this book that if you do them will probably wind up COSTING you money.

Example 1..... If you are only going for a few days rent a car for a week and turn it in early, they seem to think this will get you the lower weekly rate. WRONG! When you return the car early you can and probably will be upgraded to a high daily walk up rate with NO discount.

Example 2.... If you are arriving a few days after value season at a Disney resort ends just book the room a few days early and claim in whenever you arrive. WRONG! When you don't show up, Disney will assum you aren't coming and cancel the reservation. They don't hold on to the room for three of four days waiting on you to appear.... So when you show up you either have no room or are paying rack rates!

And since this nice family has shown me thier picture when I see them at my resort pool (Another of thier great ideas stay at the HOJO, swim at the Poly) I plan to turn them into security!

The meals are a joke. I guess this was the first family EVER to think of eating meals in the room to save money. And no one else would have EVER thought of ham sandwiches.... (Sarcasm Intended)

Personally, the book was a huge waste of money. I keep it around to assist me in posting the useless info so no one else wastes the money I did....

(They have a website, don't expect any help there, its just an ad for the book)

CarolA said:
Not only that, but there are things in this book that if you do them will probably wind up COSTING you money.

Example 1..... If you are only going for a few days rent a car for a week and turn it in early, they seem to think this will get you the lower weekly rate. WRONG! When you return the car early you can and probably will be upgraded to a high daily walk up rate with NO discount.

Example 2.... If you are arriving a few days after value season at a Disney resort ends just book the room a few days early and claim in whenever you arrive. WRONG! When you don't show up, Disney will assum you aren't coming and cancel the reservation. They don't hold on to the room for three of four days waiting on you to appear.... So when you show up you either have no room or are paying rack rates!

And since this nice family has shown me thier picture when I see them at my resort pool (Another of thier great ideas stay at the HOJO, swim at the Poly) I plan to turn them into security!

The meals are a joke. I guess this was the first family EVER to think of eating meals in the room to save money. And no one else would have EVER thought of ham sandwiches.... (Sarcasm Intended)

Personally, the book was a huge waste of money. I keep it around to assist me in posting the useless info so no one else wastes the money I did....

(They have a website, don't expect any help there, its just an ad for the book)
How can they actually print for someone to stay at a HOJO & then swim at the Poly.. wonder if Disney is aware of this.. :rolleyes1 That really isn't right to even say for someone to do. I bet the author of the book stays at one of the Deluxe's now from all the money made from everyone buying the book...

And you are soooo correct is saying that Disney will cancel your room. If you are not there by midnight (or have contacted them to tell them of your delay) your room goes back into inventory at the stroke of midnight.

With the price of gas today, it is cheaper to eat in the park than it is to drive back to your hotel 2 times (lunch & dinner). You can eat at Casey's Corner & get a huge hot dog & fries for about the price of a gallon & a half of gas. Not to mention the time you are wasting traveling back & forth. When I stay onsite, I go back to my room to eat.. but when offsite... I bring in snacks that will fill me up for one meal & then eat one meal in there. Best way is to actually go over to Trails End & catch the later part of lunch.. that will be lunch/dinner all rolled into one ;) especially since it is an all you can eat. Then have your snacks for before & after...

Well, I have the book and I can't find the "stay at HoJo and swim at the Poly" anywhere in it. :confused3 It does talk about visiting the resorts looking for hidden mickeys, or the different themed playgrounds, fishing at POR, visiting the petting zoo at WL. I thought it gave a lot of good tips on free things to do in and around Disney

And I did rent a car for the weekly rate of $144 from Enterprise. Returned it two days early and they actually only charged me $126 and took me to the train station. I didn't get this idea from the book; actually in looking through the book again, I can't find that they suggested this either. :confused3 They did say renting for a week can save money, but not to return the car early.

So, if you have a package that you have totally paid for( and doesn't Disney require that you pay it off in advance?), are you telling me that when you don't show up on check-in day, you lose your room that you paid for? In the book it says to call ahead and confirm that you will be late. I would think that would work.'

I thought the book was decent. I already had the Unofficial Guide and this had some things in it that UOG did not. I guess to each their own... :thumbsup2

Marsha

torinsmom said:
Well, I have the book and I can't find the "stay at HoJo and swim at the Poly" anywhere in it. :confused3 It does talk about visiting the resorts looking for hidden mickeys, or the different themed playgrounds, fishing at POR, visiting the petting zoo at WL. I thought it gave a lot of good tips on free things to do in and around Disney

And I did rent a car for the weekly rate of $144 from Enterprise. Returned it two days early and they actually only charged me $126 and took me to the train station. I didn't get this idea from the book; actually in looking through the book again, I can't find that they suggested this either. :confused3 They did say renting for a week can save money, but not to return the car early.

So, if you have a package that you have totally paid for( and doesn't Disney require that you pay it off in advance?), are you telling me that when you don't show up on check-in day, you lose your room that you paid for? In the book it says to call ahead and confirm that you will be late. I would think that would work.'

I thought the book was decent. I already had the Unofficial Guide and this had some things in it that UOG did not. I guess to each their own... :thumbsup2

Marsha

If you read my post, my comment is they will put your room back in inventory at midnight unless you call them & tell them of your delay. Any hotel is that way, not just Disney. You cannot arrive days later..but a few hours after midnight would not matter much as long as you notify them of it , if not, they reserve the right to place your room back into their inventory.

Actually I did go back thru the book. I found it.. Page 130 "In the swim. The official policy at WDW is that guests can only use the pool(s) at thier own resort, but it is not unusual to see guests of one resort trying a pool at another" Now they don't say "go swim whereever you want" BUT it's pretty clear to me that that is what they mean..

And I found another of my favs. Thier budget has you buying a priceline hotel that includes free breakfast.... How do you make sure your PL hotel has free breakfast???? (Page 161 for those of you reading along!)

And this line "$$aver Tip: Time your stay at the Deluxe property for a weeknight; the prices are genreally lower then on weekends"?????

A Mickeyfan said:
If you read my post, my comment is they will put your room back in inventory at midnight unless you call them & tell them of your delay. Any hotel is that way, not just Disney. You cannot arrive days later..but a few hours after midnight would not matter much as long as you notify them of it , if not, they reserve the right to place your room back into their inventory.

That is true, but most Disney and other hotels will hold until the next morning. BUT I don't think they normally accept notifications of "I reserved for arrival on Monday, but I really don't plan to arrive until Wed" A delayed plane, late arrival etc... Just showing up two days late???

Well, the book does say to call to notify Disney, not just show up late. I wouldn't do this anyway, just plan your trip around the seasons, KWIM?

And what the book states is true, that it is not unusual to see guests trying a different resorts pool. It is giving the rule, so what is wrong with the statement? I have read on the boards many times that if you ask and the pools aren't too crowded, you may be allowed in a different resort's pool.

All I know is we stayed at Pop for 5 nights and we were so busy with the parks that we never even dipped our toes in the pools there! That is one of the reasons I am planning to stay offsite next trip.

torinsmom said:
Well, the book does say to call to notify Disney, not just show up late. I wouldn't do this anyway, just plan your trip around the seasons, KWIM?

It also says this is not guranteed to work 100% of the time. The truth is that if you call today and say, I am not arriving for two days most hotels are just going to rebook you and at that point you "value" rate is gone....

Actually I had a flight & hotel deal in January with Travelocity and didn't call or show up until the last night for my hotel (the deal was half the price of the ticket alone) and I was still in the system and they had my room available, ( hotel was in Branson and full). So I would guess if you have paid they will have your room.

A Mickeyfan said:

CarolA said:
Actually I did go back thru the book. I found it.. Page 130 "In the swim. The official policy at WDW is that guests can only use the pool(s) at thier own resort, but it is not unusual to see guests of one resort trying a pool at another" Now they don't say "go swim whereever you want" BUT it's pretty clear to me that that is what they mean..

And I found another of my favs. Thier budget has you buying a priceline hotel that includes free breakfast.... How do you make sure your PL hotel has free breakfast???? (Page 161 for those of you reading along!)

And this line "$$aver Tip: Time your stay at the Deluxe property for a weeknight; the prices are genreally lower then on weekends"?????

This isnt the only Disney book that suggests to do this either btw!! I sat down at the bookstore and thumbed thru the books - I was shocked at how many suggested going to any resort pool, BUT Stormalong Bay!!

Again, if Disney doesnt "police" their own pools, there is nothing we can do about it!! (ok, well complain, we can and do complain!! lol)

on our last trip to disney we were not getting there until like 1 am and we called them and told them. And at 11:30 pm we were still driving down there, the hotel called us and asked if we were still planning on coming or they were going to give our room away (we stayed at on off site hotel)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter