Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

In case anybody has this around to spend, the 24 day starting at $115K trip to visit all Disney Parks and more is coming back for 2024. It did sell out for this year so now they’re offering TWO opportunities for it!!!

Disney Parks Around The World – A Private Jet Adventure

Booking will begin on the following dates:
June 12: Previous Adventures by Disney Guests who have traveled on 3 or more Adventures
June 14: All Previous Adventures by DisneyGuests
June 16: Golden Oak Members
June 19: General Public

For funsies I looked up 2024 hotel pricing comparable to our trip last year (early February) - hotels in the same category are all $75-$100 more a night! Not that we were planning on going next year, but this put the final nail in that coffin for sure. We'll definitely have to look to at least 2025 since we'll have to save up more.

We did Knott's for the first time last summer. Loved it! I don't think I can go to Disneyland without hitting Knott's for at least a day.
Knott's is spectacularly fun--especially for those of us who like a little bit of Serious Coaster in our theme park day. There was a great piece not too long ago about the park's history:
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/knotts-berry-farm-fried-chicken-origins-18109021.php

They've made some investments in both Ghost Town and Fiesta Village that look really good. Also, for those who miss Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, have I got news for you...

I'm not feeling Spider-Verse nor Barbie,
The first Spider-Verse was fantasic. A great re-imagining of a classic character. Barbie? That just looks like fun.

I saw a preview of Barbie before TLM, and I had no clue it even existed before then; I will DEFINITELY be seeing it, it looks hilarious!
I know, right? I haven't been THIS excited for a movie in a long, long time. It looks fantastic and I like that you can actually see what's going on unlike a lot of movies lately where scenes are so dark it's as if the cameraman had the lens still on the camera when filming.

For funsies I looked up 2024 hotel pricing comparable to our trip last year (early February) - hotels in the same category are all $75-$100 more a night! Not that we were planning on going next year, but this put the final nail in that coffin for sure. We'll definitely have to look to at least 2025 since we'll have to save up more.

Just did the same for our October trip to the Poly. Room-only rates for the same week in 2024 are up about 4%. Package price with the comparable tickets is up 8%, for whatever reason. Glad we’re going this year.

Discover Your Inner Hero During the 2024 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend!

Whether you’re a seasoned runner who could finish a race in glass slippers or a rookie with big dreams of a fairy tale finish, there’s a place — and a race — for you at the 2024 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend presented by CORKCICLE. Returning to Walt Disney WorldResort February 22 – 26, 2024, join some of Disney’s most beloved Princesses and Queens for an unforgettable race weekend celebrating the ways we are all heroes, every day.

Being a hero is not just about the happily ever after at the end of the story. For our Princesses and Queens, it’s the courage to embark on the journey, jump out of the tower, open the restaurant, find the fifth spirit. And as a runner, it’s the sweat and determination that goes into each training run, the resilience to rise after every fall, the unwavering commitment to reach our goals.
Get ready to discover your own inner hero as we share the race weekend’s individual event themes! Take a look:

5K.jpg

Disney Princess 5K | Ariel
Make a splash in "Part of Your World" during the Disney Princess 5K presented by CORKCICLE! Merfolk and land-dwellers unite in this fin-tastic race! No matter how you cruise—legs, wheels, or even fins—this event honors your grit and determination to get where you want to go. When you can dash past the finish line, you’ll snag a beautiful medal that’ll get you beaming—and bragging.

10K.jpg

Disney Princess 10K | Rapunzel
It’s time to let down your hair and race to new heights with Rapunzel during the Disney Princess 10K presented by CORKCICLE. Celebrate what makes life so special—family, friends, and the freedom to be who you are. Your handsome prince of a reward? A medal like no other.

Half.jpg

Disney Princess Half Marathon | Tiana
Your fairytale finish can come true – it all depends on you! Join Tiana for the Disney Princess Half Marathon presented by CORKCICLE, where you can chase dreams and savor every step on a course flavored with music and magic. And the medal you’ll earn is as beautiful as Tiana's beloved beignets.

Challenge.jpg

Disney Fairytale Challenge | Anna & Elsa
Embrace the frosty thrill of the Disney Fairytale Challenge with Anna & Elsa! Conquer all races in this cool competition and earn a prestigious Queens' royal medal.

PHM_Blog3.jpg

From 3.1 to 19.3 miles, you can also plan to join the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend fun – virtually! Whether you’re looking for motivation to train for a future runDisney race or get a taste of the magic wherever you run, virtual race events are a great way to reward yourself for staying active! Head over to runDisney.com to learn more about the 2024 Virtual Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend presented by CORKCICLE.
Runners wanting to join for this year’s event should mark their calendars for the following registration dates and times:
  • Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney WorldResort
    • Club runDisney Gold & Platinum Member Registration | June 13, 2023
    • General Registration | June 20, 2023 at 10 AM ET
  • Virtual Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend
    • General Registration | June 23, 2023 at 10 AM ET

Yup, I agree even though that hurts my soul lol. Lion King 2019 was one of the worst movies Disney has put out recently and it's currently the highest grossing animated film ever made.

I do think that if Elemental and Wish bomb at the box office, we're getting a Toy Story 5, 6, 7 and 8 and Frozen 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Right?!?!
I forced myself to watch that one and it was as bad, if not worse, than I had imagined.

I didn't realize it did so well!! 😲

I suspect you're going to see some substantial room discounts next year.

Right?!?!
I forced myself to watch that one and it was as bad, if not worse, than I had imagined.

I didn't realize it did so well!! 😲
It made over 1.6 billion dollars in the box office despite that movie quite literally being a shot for shot remake. That movie is a perfect example of what people mean when they say they don't want anymore lazy live action remakes (even though that movie is not live action).

Music Legends PJ Morton and Terence Blanchard Collaborating on Tiana’s Bayou Adventure

Our Imagineering project team continues to draw inspiration from the city of New Orleans for the upcoming attraction, Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. On our most recent trip to New Orleans, fellow Imagineers John Dennis, Charita Carter, Ted Robledo and I were a part of ongoing recording sessions for the attraction’s music. Today, we’re thrilled to announce that we are collaborating with award-winning artists PJ Morton and Terence Blanchard on the music guests will hear as part of this adventure. Both natives of New Orleans, PJ and Terence will help us score a lyrical love letter to the region that first inspired our endeavor with Princess Tiana. We’ll have more to share down the road as our teams make progress on a new original song composed by PJ Morton and new renditions of fan favorite music from the Walt Disney Animation Studios hit film, “The Princess and the Frog.”

Both PJ and Terence are well decorated across music genres with four-time Grammy-winner PJ recently celebrating six straight years of Grammy nominations as an independent artist and Terence having won seven Grammy awards for his own discography and trumpeting expertise. Terence also played all of Louis the Alligator’s trumpet parts in “The Princess and the Frog,” so you can only imagine how delighted we were that he was returning to work on this project. As a token of our gratitude, we presented them both with artist interpretations featuring each musician with a critter guests will meet on Tiana’s Bayou Adventure.

tba48821117373458748738.jpg
tba4582948232234.jpg

PJ Morton is writing, arranging and producing the original song for the attraction. He is performing on and producing the sessions in New Orleans of all-new arrangements of the song, as well as songs from “The Princess and the Frog” within the attraction. On the trip, we had the pleasure to discuss our collaboration with him at the historic Preservation Hall.

Terence Blanchard is helming music arrangement for the attraction’s queue. Terence is working with us to select songs from “The Princess and the Frog,” as well as iconic themes from New Orleans. Just like Tiana’s recipes, the music will combine a medley of instrumental ingredients to cook up something worth savoring.

tba8495858748934048474.jpg
tba75794282948444.jpg

The music will borrow from several musical styles that either originated or took up permanent residence in New Orleans. Some of our brand-new Audio-Animatronics figures will bring the invigorating sounds of New Orleans to life. Take this new rendering of Prince Naveen’s brother, Ralphie, for example. It’s a scene you commonly see in New Orleans: the joie de vivre influencing his every movement as he jams to the beat of his songful soul. Or this band of friendly crittersplaying joyful Zydeco-style music.

tba489848757556434-811x1024.jpg
tba4932094248244.jpg

With the power of New Orleans music, we’ve made it a priority to properly represent all aspects of the city’s culture throughout the attraction. This is why we’ve leaned on so many local voices to help bring Tiana’s story to life.

tba44892489284224.jpg

While in New Orleans, we made a stop at Dooky Chase’s Restaurant — founder Leah Chase was one of the inspirations for Princess Tiana — to talk about Tiana’s impact over the past decade and the special connection we have made with the Chase family. We have learned so much about the essence of New Orleans from them. We sat down with Stella Chase Reese, Leah’s daughter, who shared that “if we have children and grown people coming here because of Tiana, they’re not coming here just because of Tiana’s restaurant and the food, it’s the value, it’s what she meant to them. Dream big and you can make it happen.”

tba48982924844.jpg

Imagineers often dive deep into projects to help inspire their work. We commissioned four pieces from New Orleans artist, Sharika Mahdi, to aid our creative process by adding a local’s perspective. On the trip, we visited Sharika to see her final commissioned piece for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure in person. At her renowned alma mater YAYA (Young Aspirations Young Artists) Arts Center, Sharika walked us through this beautiful painting which serves as a compilation of Tiana’s story and emphasizes the importance of family, food and of course, music. This piece isn’t a particular moment or scene from the attraction, but rather an inspirational piece about the key theme of family in Tiana’s story.

Born and raised in New Orleans, Sharika paints with a colorful and free-flowing style. Sharika’s pieces for our project have featured Tiana and friends, a jazz club scene joined by a band of frogs and even Mama Odie and her “seeing eye snake,” Juju.

We were all so grateful to be able to experience the beauty of the city of New Orleans. For now, the project team is back at our Imagineering campus, continuing to make progress on a project we have such great pride and passion for. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure opens at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort next year. Looking forward to seeing you there!

The first Spider-Verse was fantasic. A great re-imagining of a classic character. Barbie? That just looks like fun.

I've said it before, but I just cannot stand the animation style in Spider-Verse. It's like nails on a chalkboard for my eyes!

Barbe - eh, that's just not my thing.

Music Legends PJ Morton and Terence Blanchard Collaborating on Tiana’s Bayou Adventure

Our Imagineering project team continues to draw inspiration from the city of New Orleans for the upcoming attraction, Tiana’s Bayou Adventure. On our most recent trip to New Orleans, fellow Imagineers John Dennis, Charita Carter, Ted Robledo and I were a part of ongoing recording sessions for the attraction’s music. Today, we’re thrilled to announce that we are collaborating with award-winning artists PJ Morton and Terence Blanchard on the music guests will hear as part of this adventure. Both natives of New Orleans, PJ and Terence will help us score a lyrical love letter to the region that first inspired our endeavor with Princess Tiana. We’ll have more to share down the road as our teams make progress on a new original song composed by PJ Morton and new renditions of fan favorite music from the Walt Disney Animation Studios hit film, “The Princess and the Frog.”

Both PJ and Terence are well decorated across music genres with four-time Grammy-winner PJ recently celebrating six straight years of Grammy nominations as an independent artist and Terence having won seven Grammy awards for his own discography and trumpeting expertise. Terence also played all of Louis the Alligator’s trumpet parts in “The Princess and the Frog,” so you can only imagine how delighted we were that he was returning to work on this project. As a token of our gratitude, we presented them both with artist interpretations featuring each musician with a critter guests will meet on Tiana’s Bayou Adventure.

tba48821117373458748738.jpg
tba4582948232234.jpg

PJ Morton is writing, arranging and producing the original song for the attraction. He is performing on and producing the sessions in New Orleans of all-new arrangements of the song, as well as songs from “The Princess and the Frog” within the attraction. On the trip, we had the pleasure to discuss our collaboration with him at the historic Preservation Hall.

Terence Blanchard is helming music arrangement for the attraction’s queue. Terence is working with us to select songs from “The Princess and the Frog,” as well as iconic themes from New Orleans. Just like Tiana’s recipes, the music will combine a medley of instrumental ingredients to cook up something worth savoring.

tba8495858748934048474.jpg
tba75794282948444.jpg

The music will borrow from several musical styles that either originated or took up permanent residence in New Orleans. Some of our brand-new Audio-Animatronics figures will bring the invigorating sounds of New Orleans to life. Take this new rendering of Prince Naveen’s brother, Ralphie, for example. It’s a scene you commonly see in New Orleans: the joie de vivre influencing his every movement as he jams to the beat of his songful soul. Or this band of friendly crittersplaying joyful Zydeco-style music.

tba489848757556434-811x1024.jpg
tba4932094248244.jpg

With the power of New Orleans music, we’ve made it a priority to properly represent all aspects of the city’s culture throughout the attraction. This is why we’ve leaned on so many local voices to help bring Tiana’s story to life.

tba44892489284224.jpg

While in New Orleans, we made a stop at Dooky Chase’s Restaurant — founder Leah Chase was one of the inspirations for Princess Tiana — to talk about Tiana’s impact over the past decade and the special connection we have made with the Chase family. We have learned so much about the essence of New Orleans from them. We sat down with Stella Chase Reese, Leah’s daughter, who shared that “if we have children and grown people coming here because of Tiana, they’re not coming here just because of Tiana’s restaurant and the food, it’s the value, it’s what she meant to them. Dream big and you can make it happen.”

tba48982924844.jpg

Imagineers often dive deep into projects to help inspire their work. We commissioned four pieces from New Orleans artist, Sharika Mahdi, to aid our creative process by adding a local’s perspective. On the trip, we visited Sharika to see her final commissioned piece for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure in person. At her renowned alma mater YAYA (Young Aspirations Young Artists) Arts Center, Sharika walked us through this beautiful painting which serves as a compilation of Tiana’s story and emphasizes the importance of family, food and of course, music. This piece isn’t a particular moment or scene from the attraction, but rather an inspirational piece about the key theme of family in Tiana’s story.

Born and raised in New Orleans, Sharika paints with a colorful and free-flowing style. Sharika’s pieces for our project have featured Tiana and friends, a jazz club scene joined by a band of frogs and even Mama Odie and her “seeing eye snake,” Juju.

We were all so grateful to be able to experience the beauty of the city of New Orleans. For now, the project team is back at our Imagineering campus, continuing to make progress on a project we have such great pride and passion for. Tiana’s Bayou Adventure opens at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort next year. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Please don't leave out Dr. Facilier and the shadow people. I know they're trying to make it less scary but he's such a huge part of that movie that it would be a shame to not have at least a nod to him. He's also a great character to meet and talk with in the parks.

Please don't leave out Dr. Facilier and the shadow people. I know they're trying to make it less scary but he's such a huge part of that movie that it would be a shame to not have at least a nod to him. He's also a great character to meet and talk with in the parks.

I agree. A little "scary" is part of what dark rides are all about. It's like they used to have "Snow White's Scary Adventures" - they changed the name and added a little bit of a happy ending that the original ride didn't make room for, but they didn't remove the scary parts really either. The witch is still there, with her classic turn-around transformation. A little bit of punch is needed.

Craig did a good write up as well on his visit and tour of New Orleans with Imagineers where they shared more info as well.

Tiana’s Bayou Adventure – An Imagineering Love Letter to New Orleans

“We had the chance to see a rendering preview of what the otter animatronic will look like playing his fiddle and I was shocked by the amount of motion.”

-17 New Characters being created for this
-Tiana will be shown multiple times in different outfits.
-Other familiar faces from the movie will make an appearance like Mama Odie, Eudora, Charlotte, Big Daddy, the King and Queen of Maldonia, and Prince Ralphie.

Last edited:
I agree. A little "scary" is part of what dark rides are all about. It's like they used to have "Snow White's Scary Adventures" - they changed the name and added a little bit of a happy ending that the original ride didn't make room for, but they didn't remove the scary parts really either. The witch is still there, with her classic turn-around transformation. A little bit of punch is needed.
Yes, yes, yes. I feel like putting it after the time of the movie is Disney's out to say "this is why he's not there since this is a new story", as his fate was clearly shown in the movie's ending. But come on, something with voodoo and shadow people in the swamp where Mama Odie saves you before the Mardi Gras scene would be so awesome. It surely feels like Mama Odie's animatronic will be right around that portion before the climb. My hope is the area before the final hill has that or at least nods to it as that was always one of the best parts of Splash Mountain, that ominous feeling as you made the climb and anticipated the drop.

Craig did a good write up as well on his visit and tour of New Orleans with Imagineers where they shared more info as well.

“We had the chance to see a rendering preview of what the otter animatronic will look like playing his fiddle and I was shocked by the amount of motion.”

-Other familiar faces from the movie will make an appearance like Mama Odie, Eudora, Charlotte, Big Daddy, the King and Queen of Maldonia, and Prince Ralphie.

Also just posted a YouTube vid about it. Watching it now as I was interested but that article was way longer than I want to read.

Yes, but will the drop feature Dr. Facilier / "Friends on the Other Side"? That's all I want to know

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter