• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Movie Night Menu Suggestions

floridascgirl

DIS Veteran
I know this isn't the best place to post this question, but I'm not getting any responses on the Family Board and I really need advice. I figure since it's a food related question, maybe it's okay. ;)

We are planning on watching The Swiss Family Robinson tomorrow night. Since I've never seen it, I'm struggling with our menu. Any ideas for a meal that might tie in with the movie??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :worship:

Swiss Family Robinson themed? How about something with seafood? Perhaps crabs? Maybe some tree-bark chocolate something for desert?

If I'm correct, they were shipwrecked off the coast of some Pacific Island...not exactly sure where. I was thinking maybe some kind of dish that was Indonesian or Tahitian in origin. I'm just not sure what and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on spices.

I was mainly curious if someone who had seen the movie remembered something that the family often ate while on the island. Thanks for the seafood suggestion...I might make something with fish.

When we watched it, I made Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner, with tropical punch to drink. For dessert we had sugar cookie leis.

When we watched it, I made Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner, with tropical punch to drink. For dessert we had sugar cookie leis.

What in the world is a Hawaiin Haystack? A sugar cookie lei sounds awfully fancy, but please tell me more anyway. popcorn::

What in the world is a Hawaiin Haystack? A sugar cookie lei sounds awfully fancy, but please tell me more anyway. popcorn::

The Hawaiian Haystack is super easy! Simply combine a couple of cans of chicken (I like just the white meat), with a can or 2 of cream of chicken soup to make a simple sauce. You can season it with salt and pepper to your taste.

When you are ready to eat, you put a large pile of white rice (or brown if you prefer) on your plate. Top it with the chicken sauce, and then have on hand bowls of the following:

Cheddar cheese
Coconut
Chow Mein noodles
Raisins
Green onions
Salted peanuts
Olives
Pineapple tidbits
Any other toppings that tickle your fancy

Your kids can pile as much or as little of the toppings on the "haystack" as they want, and everyone gets what they like.

As for the leis, I simply made my favorite sugar cookie recipe, and cut them out using a flower shaped cutter. Before baking I used a straw to make a small hole in the center. I also like to sprinkle my sugar cookies with jello powder before baking. This gives a wonderful color and flavor to the cookie and I don't have to frost them after they are baked. Once they are baked and cooled, simply let your kids string them on yarn to make leis.

Good luck with your movie night. We are watching "Sword in the Stone" tonight, and I'm hoping it's fun! I didn't do an entire meal around this one, but we are eating Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert.

I haven't watched the movie in ages but I would go simpler.

I may do a fruit salad heavy on bananas, pineapple, etc... with coconut sprinkled across the top.

Maybe a pulled port roast done in a crockpot with Asian BBQ sauce (available in most grocery stores or mix a can of pineapple - drained with a bottle of BBQ sauce and some brown sugar to taste) and some rice.

Maybe also a tropical punch with a popcorn treat after. Popcorn mixed with coconut, craisins, cheerios, peanuts and a few chocolate chips.

Just a thought.:)

I have no clue what to do for dessert but I would do a chocolate fondue with pineapple, bananas and other fruits to dip into it

I haven't watched the movie in ages but I would go simpler.

I may do a fruit salad heavy on bananas, pineapple, etc... with coconut sprinkled across the top.

Maybe a pulled port roast done in a crockpot with Asian BBQ sauce (available in most grocery stores or mix a can of pineapple - drained with a bottle of BBQ sauce and some brown sugar to taste) and some rice.

Maybe also a tropical punch with a popcorn treat after. Popcorn mixed with coconut, craisins, cheerios, peanuts and a few chocolate chips.

Just a thought.:)

Yum! That all sounds good, too!

Really, though, the Hawaiian Haystacks are incredibly easy. It's one of my "go to" meals for when we go camping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter