Disney Movie Magic projection show premieres tonight at DHS

I am facebook friend with the show creator and he hinted through out all week he was working on something but it was never announced
For those doing the sw dessert party you would have to leave the party early and go to the reserved area to view it

It wasn't. It was a surprise last night. Some found out about it a few hours before it happened.

Just watched the video you posted Ryan and I'm impressed. I think the show was very entertaining, and thank goodness we didn't sit through 8 months of advance hype on this, it just happened! Good for Disney for just springing this on park guests. There's something very pleasing about being surprised with something cool like this...I think the word is "magic.":earsboy:

I am facebook friend with the show creator and he hinted through out all week he was working on something but it was never announced
For those doing the sw dessert party you would have to leave the party early and go to the reserved area to view it
Yeah, I guess we will need to get there early, fill up quickly and then rush out for the show? Maybe just miss the projection show?

How long is it between the projection show and fireworks-i.e. Is there time to go back in, get another drink and dessert, then return for fireworks?

I've heard of some dessert party guests that got called by Disney bc they changed the time of their dessert party in August. No idea what it was for but I just assumed it was this. That kind of stinks, though I think we had planned to walk out early anyway.

I have dessert party reservations for mid August and I have not heard from Disney. I did book this as a surprise for my DDs 14th Birthday celebration so I'll be monitoring the phone for the next few days just in case they call. I'll let you all know if I hear anything.

In order to see this and Star Wars fireworks (with Star Wars as the priority), where do I need to be? We aren't going to the Studios one evening for the purpose of fireworks only.

In order to see this and Star Wars fireworks (with Star Wars as the priority), where do I need to be? We aren't going to the Studios one evening for the purpose of fireworks only.
On the official SW thread (link in my signature) page 1 there's an article on the fireworks section (post 11) that talks about what's the best spot with pictures included

Last edited:
So I'm still kinda puzzled about this show.
Other than Disney just giving a cool projection show to entertain while you wait for SWAGS, and if that was the only intention then I applaud the decision
If this had been announced in advance, even by a single Disney park Blog post it would've been killed by the reviews, but since there was no announcement or hype about people are ok with it
In my opinion, cool to watch something while you wait for the headliner...I am happy that one of my favorite Disney movie musicals makes a short appearance (Newsies) and happy of the inclusion of 2 Marvel movies

Now as we know, some people make a line or stand in a spot without knowing what they are waiting for and this was the case last night. Some people left after the projection show, the family behind me got up and started to leave and when they saw the majority staying they started asking why people weren't leaving...so is this a way to try and get people to leave and open up more spots for SWaGS? I don't know.
More entertainment is good entertainment in my opinion

I was in Hollywood Studios on Friday night. Watching fantasmic, that I still love. I was still way deep in the bleachers trying to exit when the Star Wars fireworks started, so maybe the projection show is to point out that they don't want you doing fantasmic and fireworks. Fantasmic was packed by the way. Last year on Memorial Day they had 2 shows.

I have dessert party reservations for mid August and I have not heard from Disney. I did book this as a surprise for my DDs 14th Birthday celebration so I'll be monitoring the phone for the next few days just in case they call. I'll let you all know if I hear anything.

I just received a call that the time for our dessert party reservation on 8/25 was moved up to 7:45, so it sounds like they are accommodating for the extra show!

Just saw this through The DIS video. Looks neat. I admit I didn't get some of it, but I haven't watched every Disney movie. It basically forces folks to do either SWAGS/Disney Movie Magic or Fantasmic at least for this summer. What I wonder the most is if this is the test to see if people will show up to an all Projections show. There's been talk about the Fireworks disturbing the Animals at Animal Kingdom and I get this feeling by the Last Jedi update for SWAGS (early spring 2018) there will be no more Fireworks element to the show.

The published start of the party changes from 8:15 to 7:45 on 8/20, but the differential between the start of the party and the start of SWaGS remains the same at 75 minutes.

As they haven't announced a start or end date for "Disney Movie Magic" yet, there's no way of knowing how long it will be showing.

They dealt with the fireworks noise impacting the animals at AK issue many years ago, why would it resurface after all these years as there are a lot less fireworks in the SWaGS show than there were in the previous show, which was really intense.

If they were going to get rid of fireworks at DHS, why build a new launch location? But as the higher fireworks are not a major element of the SWaGS show, it's conceivable that they could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter