• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Mousekeeping Standards

SonQueen

Earning My Ears
Hi!

I am going to Disney in a few weeks. Are the rooms typically very clean? My family will be staying at POR- French Quarter. I hope that we have no issues. I am just wondering if management does a great job of maintaining cleanliness at the resort.

We've had 15 trips on Site and have yet to have an issue with Housekeeping. Are there issues sometimes, yes. But in general I'd say they are very good.

If the resorts were filthy none of us would be staying there. Well, some of us wouldn't. We only use MK three times in ten days. They leave supplies on the door. I don't want them stepping over my skivvies every day.

If the resorts were filthy none of us would be staying there. Well, some of us wouldn't. We only use MK three times in ten days. They leave supplies on the door. I don't want them stepping over my skivvies every day.

Oh, was not accusing anyone of staying in filthfiness. I went to a hotel this week and it was a nice chain hotel and I had to change rooms due to the bed. I guess I am just a little paranoid.

I have never had an issue with Mousekeeping at POFQ. However, you have to remember that these are human beings. Things happen, stuff gets missed, they get interrupted and forget to go back... stuff like that.

One more thing: It's Florida. Florida has bugs. Lots of bugs. I can't say I ever remember seeing a palmetto bug in a room, but they may certainly show up outside, and can be quite disconcerting if you're not used to them.

Hmm. I just had a really gross room, and after 5 days it was just a little cleaner the night before I checked out, after 2 complaints to management. We cleaned part of the bathroom hair left by previous guests ourselves. We were at yacht club

Here is something a lot of people forget or do not think about. WDW resorts usually have an 80% or higher occupancy rate, so in general they are not going to be as clean, especially if the person staying there is a white glove type:) We try always to wear slippers and not walk around barefooted because the carpets handle a lot of shoe traffic and are not the cleanness. Also; if you do have a complaint go to the lobby and speak to a manager in person, do not call the desk or mousekeeping, you will get better service.

if you do have a complaint go to the lobby and speak to a manager in person, do not call the desk or mousekeeping, you will get better service.

Correct. Because even if you use the phone in your room, the call goes to a call center, not to the front desk or to housekeeping in your resort. Walk yourself down to the front desk and ask to speak to someone about a housekeeping issue. If it's that bad to make a complaint, you need to do it in person and as soon as you spot the problem.

WDW resort rooms are adequate, but not especially clean. I usually go with supplies and spend the first hour or so of my vacation cleaning. I know that you shouldn't have to do this, but I am happier knowing that it is cleaned. I am not a 'white glove' person, but I do like to know that my living quarters are safely clean. I have seen housekeepers 'finish' a room in less than 10 minutes! It takes me longer than that to do the bathroom alone!
I have found bathrooms not only insufficiently cleaned (with hair), but with unflushed toilets (either from previous guest or someone else). In the room: Dust, partially eaten small scraps of food on the floor, small pieces of dirty clothing left behind under the bed, dirty marks on the wall - you name it, I've probably seen it! LOL! Generally, though, rooms are fine, at least as far as you can see. Perhaps the worst that you will note is dust in corners or on surfaces not usually accidentally 'dusted' by guests.
For me, I have seen enough that I don't trust that anything is clean just because it looks that way. We NEVER go barefoot in a hotel room. We always wash coffee perk and glasses before use and we always clean surfaces of things that we use ourselves.
To be fair:
Housekeeping staff only has about enough time per room to make the beds, pick up the dirty towels and wipe down the bathroom. I don't think that they even vacuum every day anymore.

There has been an overall decrease in service in WDW over the years. It is most visible, IMO, in the level of cleanliness that you can expect. I remember the massive numbers of people around picking up garbage and cleaning the public restrooms. The housekeeping staff always vacuumed the room and put clean sheets in the bed daily. Those days are gone. I guess.

We have had 10 on-site stays and have never had a serious problem with housekeeping. We have had some rooms with some maintenance issues at CBR and BC...and our BC CL room did have a palmetto bug (roach) in it one morning. :scared1: I have to say that I handled the bug quite well...me and my girls jumped up onto the bed and screamed at DH to kill it. I always thought my reaction would be to light the room on fire, so definitely pretty anticlimactic. :faint:

Seriously though, I hate staying in hotels because I am a somewhat germophobe and worry about cleanliness, and the Disney rooms we have had have allowed me to relax and enjoy my stay. :goodvibes

We've had 15 trips on Site and have yet to have an issue with Housekeeping. Are there issues sometimes, yes. But in general I'd say they are very good.

Same here. In all of our trips over the last 10 years, we've never had an issue with housekeeping.

I've never had a cause of complaint in a Disney resort room. We've stayed in a lot of them, 3 on our trip in May alone

Last edited:
You have to remember that everyone has different tolerances for this sort of thing. My son is dating a girl with germ "issues". She sees things that we don't because she is always looking for it. I see her as someone who will never be satisfied with the cleanliness of a hotel room - ever.

We have spent hundreds of nights in WDW resort rooms and never had reason to complain about cleanliness. I think that they do a great job, all things considered. But, again, we could very well be missing things that would bother others. We are not intentionally overlooking things - we just don't see them.

You have to remember that everyone has different tolerances for this sort of thing. My son is dating a girl with germ "issues". She sees things that we don't because she is always looking for it. I see her as someone who will never be satisfied with the cleanliness of a hotel room - ever.

We have spent hundreds of nights in WDW resort rooms and never had reason to complain about cleanliness. I think that they do a great job, all things considered. But, again, we could very well be missing things that would bother others. We are not intentionally overlooking things - we just don't see them.
Such a great point. I have a friend who will never find a hotel room clean enough. It could be new construction and she could be the first guest ever in the room and it will not be clean enough. She travels with her own bed sheets and removes the ones on the bed and uses her own.

I am not a 'white glove' person...
We NEVER go barefoot in a hotel room. We always wash coffee perk and glasses before use and we always clean surfaces of things that we use ourselves.
I hate to break this to you, and I don't mean to be critical, but IMHO, that makes you a 'white glove' person. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that it's more attention to cleanliness than the average person. Or, to put it another way, don't be ashamed of being a white glove person.

I am a proud member of the White Glove Travelers Club. I don't dust the light bulbs or anything but will take an hour to clean our villa when we get there. My family and myself can then relax on vacation. I have found lipstick on glasses, dirty clothing left behind, old coffee and filters in the coffee maker and spoiled meat in the fridge. I think housekeeping is rushed and misses a lot of the details.

Don't get me wrong - I have never complained about housekeeping! I just clean it up myself to my 'standards'. I know that they are busy, so I'll wash someone else hair off the tub enclosure, if need be. It's not a big deal to me. However, it isn't really perfect either and will trouble some people.

I don't blame the people doing the work. It is just that there are a lot fewer of them around these days, it seems. A person can only be expected to do so much in the amount of time provided. Basically, cutbacks are everywhere.

I hate to break this to you, and I don't mean to be critical, but IMHO, that makes you a 'white glove' person. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that it's more attention to cleanliness than the average person. Or, to put it another way, don't be ashamed of being a white glove person.

LOL! OK, fair enough! Perhaps I am in denial! If you saw my house, you might be hard pressed to maintain that white glove argument though! I live with 2 Newfoundland dogs and they are mud, drool and fur distributors! It is a constant battle to stay ahead of it all! LOL! Perhaps I am a white glove with black fur trim kind of a gal. (except the fur trim is all over the white gloves....).

Last edited:
I am a proud member of the White Glove Travelers Club. I don't dust the light bulbs or anything but will take an hour to clean our villa when we get there. My family and myself can then relax on vacation. I have found lipstick on glasses, dirty clothing left behind, old coffee and filters in the coffee maker and spoiled meat in the fridge. I think housekeeping is rushed and misses a lot of the details.
LOL. We also take our clorox wipes and wipe the room down, but do not consider ourselves "White Glove" people. I was talking more about some posts that I have read that they found dust on top of the bathroom mirror(why anyone would check up there is beyond me) and on the back of the TV etc. So when you said that you don't dust light bulbs then I think you would be kicked out of the White Glove society:rotfl: I think we are just part of the cleanliness society.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter