• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Monorail toy train pricing??

My 6 year old son desperately wants a monorail playset, and I was planning to get one when we go in December, but I read very poor reviews about it on Amazon. Four different people said that the doors fall off, it stopped working, it is flimsy, etc. It was only given 1 star by each customer. For those of you that have one, please tell me what you think of the playset for a 6 year old? Will it be sturdy enough to be played with often, or is it more of a "decorative" item? Thanks!

I'm a grown teen yet I've always wanted one of these, is that wrong?

No more wrong than I'm a 50 year old that hopes he is never too grown up to play with toys! Just ask my wife who cringes every time I bring home another toy train.:)

We searched far and wide until finding a mere three sets for sale at Epcot - nearly everywhere was sold out! Our youngest DS made it his "must have" keepsake for the trip, so it became a quest to get one. DTD, hotel shops, the various parks...hard to find! I'm hoping that what they all told us ("we're sold out now but expecting more soon") is true, and that they are now widely available.

As the other post mentioned, the price is about $75-$80.

Are you talking about space mountain? They have had that recently and are getting more?

Charleyann

My 2.5 yr old son fell in love with the monorail, it was his favorite ride at the parks. He would have been happy riding it all day....we didn't even need to go into the parks. Now if we could put a princess on the monorail we could keep his twin sister happy too.

I was there last week and they were all sold out, I looked everywhere but World of Disney in Downtown Disney. We had didn't get enough time and I figured I would just get it at Disney online when I got home. It is now sold out there, hoping it comes back before Christmas. He is telling me that is what he is telling Santa Claus he wants....yikes!

Went to ebay, but they are selling them for way over asking price, it would be a splurge for us to do the $72.00 they are selling it for online, but the $100 plus they are going for is just too much.

I called the local Disney store, they don't sell them. So I guess I need to keep checking Disney online and hope they come back. Fingers crossed!!!

I just received mine today from disneystore.com. It's the Lime stripe. I was hoping for Orange... the Lime green is kinda hard to see, but no worries.

I'm putting it under the tree on christmas eve when the kids are asleep!!! The WDW dvd's and customized maps will be under there too. I hope they get the hint!!!

I bought it more as an effect. My boys will have to be very carefull when playing with it. I put it together tonight and the train is flimsy. Not what what I expected from Disney. I would classify it more as a decoration.

Is Orange still what they're selling in WDW? When I was there, they had the Orange ones and a few Gold as well. I keep meaning to get these, but need to do Mail Order. No room in the car on the way home for it! :laughing:

..inquiring minds want to know....my son hopes PINK is next!!!

I know this is an older post, but I highly doubt Pink will ever be sold. IMO, it shouldn't be. Stinks for those of us who love the color or those who have fond memories of that specific monorail, but to me it's inappropriate considering what happened. Disney already scrapped the Pink Monorail Vinylmation figure from the lineup for the Park 3 Series that came out last month and instead sold a blue one.

I don't know if a Purple monorail was ever sold, but hopefully, if not, that color version will never be made either.

Yes Monorail Purple was sold in 2005

Monorail Red was sold & is for sale (1999,2000, 2010)
Monorail Black was sold in 2001 & 2002
Monorail Yellow was sold in 2003 & 2004
Monorail Purple was sold in 2005
Monorail Gold was sold in 2006
Monorail Blue was sold in 2007
Monorail Green was sold in 2008
Monorail Orange & Monorail Silver were sold in 2009
And Monorail Lime & Monorail Red are currently for sale in 2010.

The ones left to be sold are: Monorail Coral, Monorail Teal, and the unknown monorail.
Monorail Pink will most likely never be sold/produced.

I have been collecting all the monorails for my kids, although now I am thinking i may hold onto them... Lol. I am looking for monorail orange...

Only place I have seen one is on eBay, and it was identified as a painted fake.

I also found the comment about monorail pink interesting, and was wondering myself as to whether ot not Disney will release monorail pink after the death of Austin last year...

I got one on ebay, it wasn't new, but they said it was in great condition. When I opened it the motor was about gone, they said it was fine when they shipped it, I'm not sure.

I learned my lesson, I did get my money back and ordered a new one on ebay for a lot more than the going rate. (this is when they were out of stock at Disneyworld and Disney.com)

It arrived brand new in the box...working perfectly. Anyway after a few months of play, the new one is just like the used one we got. I am disappointed the motor is so bad and that most of the doors have fallen off. I definitely wouldn't recommend this for anyone with young children, it has been very frustrating.

I got one on ebay, it wasn't new, but they said it was in great condition. When I opened it the motor was about gone, they said it was fine when they shipped it, I'm not sure.

I learned my lesson, I did get my money back and ordered a new one on ebay for a lot more than the going rate. (this is when they were out of stock at Disneyworld and Disney.com)

It arrived brand new in the box...working perfectly. Anyway after a few months of play, the new one is just like the used one we got. I am disappointed the motor is so bad and that most of the doors have fallen off. I definitely wouldn't recommend this for anyone with young children, it has been very frustrating.

The stock motors in these are much too weak and low torque to move the train at anything close to real scale speed. A guy on eBay from time to time puts up for sale new sets where he has removed the stock motor and replaced it with a much more powerful and reliable one.

When he has these auctions up, you can find them by searching with the terms "Disney Monorail Custom." There are some videos of these running on Youtube and they really perform and look far better than what Disney sells.:teacher:

The eBay seller who has the upgraded monorails (with a custom higher power motor in the engine unit) had some auctions back up again a few days ago. I just checked again and guess they sold quickly since they aren't there now.

I have bought from the ebay seller who upgrades the motor for the monorail. His monorails are the best. Very good ebay seller. He puts in the motor that Disney should have.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Thanks, y'all, for the perfect gift :)

My son turns 12 pretty soon; he has autism so it's tough to find something I know he'll love. I just bought one of the custom monorails from ebay. Can't wait !

I just purchased a set with blue. but the guideway is missing pieces. Will the new track work with this very early set?

I just purchased a set with blue. but the guideway is missing pieces. Will the new track work with this very early set?

The earliest park-sold monorail sets -- which are very, very, very rare -- came with an unpowered train and used a rudimentary, basic track (a single, long thin flat black strip that attached to slots in round, tubular supports). I've only seen one of these, a set that was up for auction on ebay about a year ago - and which garnered low bids since the existence of these sets is not well known. The more realistic molded grey plastic track in battery powered sets has been the same ever since the powered versions were introduced in 1999. So if your "very early" set is powered, yes, the "new" track will work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter