• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney May Lose $140 Million on 'Tomorrowland'

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
Disney Could Lose $140 Million on 'Tomorrowland' Flop

by Pamela McClintock 6/20/2015 7:00 am PDT, The Hollywood Reporter

If ever there was a studio that could withstand a serious stumble, it's Disney, home of Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. And stumble it has with Tomorrowland, the Brad Bird-directed fantasy adventure. Sources say the film will lose $120 million to $140 million by the time it finishes its global rollout, becoming Disney's first major financial misfire since The Lone Ranger prompted a $190 million write-down two summers ago.

It's also the third big-budget original tentpole of 2015 to bomb after Jupiter Ascending andSeventh Son, highlighting the risky nature of nine-figure filmmaking at a time when relatively lower-budget hits such as Spy and Pitch Perfect 2 are causing studios to look closely at the costs of creating franchises.

Tomorrowland, which cost $180 million to produce plus a marketing spend of $150 million or more, had everything going for it: a hot filmmaker in Bird, 57 (Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol), and a global star in George Clooney, 54. But it debuted to weak reviews (was it for kids or adults?) and a soft $42.7 million during the long Memorial Day weekend. As of June 8, the film had earned $76.4 million domestically and $93.5 million overseas for a global total of $169.9 million. It might not gross much more than $200 million, far from enough to cover Disney's costs.

China, ravenous for American event movies, has been a particularly harsh blow. Tomorrowland bowed to $13.8 million there in early June, getting trounced by the $38.3 million opening of the Japanese animated title Stand by Me Doraemon.

Yes, they took a miss with Tomorrowland, but there are so many things working for Disney," says analyst Eric Handler of MKM Partners, noting that Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron has earned nearly $1.35 billion worldwide since May. "And coming up, there's Inside Out (June 19), Ant-Man(July 17) and Star Wars (Dec. 18). Disney will do just fine this year."

That's why Tomorrowland hasn't stirred media or shareholder uproar as did Lone Ranger and John Carter ($200 million write-down). (Disney stock hasn't budged.) But it has raised the issue of whether studios will spend at this level on original tentpoles. Even the hit San Andreas, which Warner Bros. has marketed as an event pic, cost "only" $110 million.

"There's a reason you're seeing more sequels, prequels and known properties because you never know how films like Tomorrowland or Jupiter Ascending are going to turn out," says Handler.Jupiter was a pricey miss for Warners, Village Roadshow and other partners who paid nearly $180 million to make the sci-fi fantasy, which topped out at $181.9 million worldwide and lost about $120 million all-in.

Despite the flop, few fault Disney for taking a chance on a director like Bird. Says a rival executive, "When a guy like that comes to you with an original idea, and Clooney is part of the package, you'll take the swing."

Merely a flesh wound...

The highest regarded/reviewed Pixar movie possibly ever is requesting permission to land in 9 days...

Doesn't have the character/star power that buzz and woody do...but should make for a nice little summer for crazy bob and his tinker toy parks...

Haven't seen it yet. However, I do think the marketing was horrendous. I've seen a bunch of commercials for it, saw previews while at the movie theater to see other films, and I still have no idea what it is really about. I think that is likely what they were going for as far as the marketing strategy - to keep some kind intrigue surrounding. But the strategy backfired.

Haven't seen it yet, probably will though. Maybe in 2nd run. I agree with the others. I watched a trailer and have no idea what it's about and(time travel of some sort? maybe?) is it geared for kids or adults? It may be great though. DD loved Lone Ranger, watched it dozens of times including release day. She was kind of sad when we were at WDW and Gibbs cracked a joke about Lone Ranger to Jack Sparrow during their show.

I liked it. To bad it's lost lots of money.
I also liked John Carter...got better with a second watch on DVD. Lone Ranger never appealed to me. I'm about Johnny Depped out.

We went and saw it last weekend. Personally I loved it and so did my 11 year old. Now the only reason we saw it was because it was the only movie showing that was acceptable for her to see (yes I am a horrible mean mom that won't let my 11 year old see Pitch perfect 2).
I am surprised it didn't do well. It reminded me a little of Flight of the Navigator which was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Oh well, I guess if it doesn't involve huge explosions and blood people just aren't interested anymore.

We went and saw it last weekend. Personally I loved it and so did my 11 year old. Now the only reason we saw it was because it was the only movie showing that was acceptable for her to see (yes I am a horrible mean mom that won't let my 11 year old see Pitch perfect 2).
I am surprised it didn't do well. It reminded me a little of Flight of the Navigator which was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Oh well, I guess if it doesn't involve huge explosions and blood people just aren't interested anymore.
DD is 10 and based on the 1st Pitch Perfect I agree with you. Horrible, mean parents unite!
Flight of the Navigator was also one of my favourite movies as a kid! Didn't know until a couple years ago it was a Disney movie.
You will love this

See, everyone keeps saying that Hollywood doesn't make original films anymore and that it's all sequels, prequels, remakes and adaptations. But when you see the box office the last Fast and Furious or any of the recent reboots and sequels have got, and you compare that to the lukewarm/poor reception most original films get, you realize that people are not that bothered by sequels and reboots after all.

I can't say Tomorrowland was the most amazing concept ever, and honestly, it leaves quite a lot to be desired, but it definitely deserves better. It's not that surprising that Disney recently cancelled Tron 3 just to announce more live-action remakes, after all.

Merely a flesh wound...

The highest regarded/reviewed Pixar movie possibly ever is requesting permission to land in 9 days...

Doesn't have the character/star power that buzz and woody do...but should make for a nice little summer for crazy bob and his tinker toy parks...

And let's not forget a nice little space saga in December. I'll wager it will wash away those Tomorrowland financial blues within the first week or two.

Tomorrowland was pretty good...a little shakey though.

I agree that the marketing was a little ...vague. I took my DD on opening night and there were maybe 20 people in the theatre on a weekend.

While I have not seen it - the Trailers kind of hooked me so I thought maybe this was worth a watch. But, I agree the plot was not real apparent. I think I will wait until it is on for free.

I liked TomorrowLand.

But I was also born in Flushing, NY in the mid-1960's while the World's Fair was going on - so my view is that of an insider.

In my view, the movie has limited appeal for adults (unless you teach science or enjoy watching George Clooney) and even less appeal for 'tweens' (unless you're a female interested in science).

Given the cost and marketing budget, I'm not sure this movie could have ever been profitable.

Not surprising, considering the movie was not that good. And this was doubly disappointing because I had such high hopes for it. People associate "Tomorrowland" with the parks. The fact that it didn't even kind of resemble that was a let down. The saving grace of that movie was the very beginning when they were at the world's fair and riding It's a Small World. After that, it was all downhill.

Bad marketing, George Clooney is not a box office draw (and he turns a bunch of people off) and what exactly is it about??? Too many options at the theater, just a few reasons anyway.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter