Disney Marathon

wdw4me13

Earning My Ears
I don't want to start the resort debate. I already know the pro/cons of each resort. What I'd like to know from others who've ran the marathon in the past. When running the marathon which DVC resort is best to stay at. The main purpose of the trip will be for my boyfriend and I to run our 1st marathon.

Thanks
Sabrina

I understand that you can walk to the start from OKW. This might allow for a little extra zzzzzzzzzzzzzz's.

Hello,
We stayed at WLV last Jan. For the marathon I thought it was fine. We caught the first bus that morning so there was no wait. There were lots of busses lined up. I suspect any resort is okay.

We stayed at BC the year before and it was fine also. I did love running the Boardwalk for my last training run.

For 2003 we have ressies at WLV again. But we may change to BCV or BWV. We haven't decided yet.

I hope this is some help.
Buttercup:)

Just to let everyone know, the Half Marathon is already closed.
I think it closed 2 weeks ago, 6000 entrants!
They have some rather interesting restrictions for the 2003 Marathon/Half Marathon registration. Quotas for FL res, charters, charities, US res (non FL) and international.

So if your interested in the full, call and they can email you a Cast/DVC registration form. That gets you a nice discount!

I see on the Disney Marathon map that OKW is right by the starting line. Is it really that easy to walk on over to it from the rooms at OKW?? I'm running the 1/2 marathon for the for the 1st time this year and have been reading about a lot of bad experiences from people the last few years having to get to the starting line from the resorts via the buses. (People say you have to wake up at 3:00AM to grab the bus) Sounds like that if OKW is within walking distance you might save yourself some aggravation that morning.

On the same topic, if your looking for some good first hand experience about the race form those who have run in it previously, checkout this website:

http://hollyt.customer.jump.net/disneydeads.html

There's a lot of people posting messages about the race and you may find it helpful in planning your race day strategy.

Ukladmok,

Hi, I too saw this last year the first time I ran the Half, but alas, you don't go directly to the start. Last year everyone had to show up at the main parking lot at EPCOT, from there you where led to the start in groups according to your "Starting Corral" letter. You will still need to take a bus to the EPCOT lot. It was not to bad, other than getting up at 4:30am:D Bus came by at 4:50 and had no problem getting there on time.

PS: One thing that I learned was in addition to "ThrowAway" clothes to wear while waiting to start, take a plastic garbage bag. It really helps break the wind and waterproof if it rains.
Last year we had 20-25 mile gusts prior to the start and I FROZE until I started running.

Good luck in your training.

If that's the case then I guess I won't try to change my reservations over from BWV. I hate the thought of getting up that early before a race, but have a feeling I won't be getting much sleep anyway b/c of the anticipation of running the race anyway. Thanks for the garbage bag tip! Although I'm REALLY HOPING that the weather will cooperate and I won't need it!!!!!

TripletVan-

The 10K is a different race run in October. Registration for that doesn't open up until May 1st. Here's the link:

Disney Running Events Link

While OKW is close, there is a constant stream of buses for the marathon. They seem to come by every 5 minutes. So you should not have any problem getting there from any resort.

we stayed at the BWV for the marathon this Jan.
no problem getting the bus. it was there waiting when we walked out at abotu 4:15am!!!! uggghhh!!! LOL!!

and yes.... bring throw away clothes!!!!!!! it was absolutley freezing the morning of the marathon! I had a sweatshirt and gloves. and I was still freezing beyond belief!!!
it was like torture til 6am when the marathon finally started!!!

be prepared!!!!

and, I'll see ya there in 2003!!!!!!!!!! :)

Laura :)

7 days til WDW!!! yipeeeeeeeee :) :) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter