• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Marathon question?

Skylarr29

DIS Veteran
So I was talking to a friend about the marathon for next January and we are in the process of signing up and booking hotel rooms and all that. They said that there is only specific hotels that have the bus pick up that brings you to the starting line (or something like that.) Anyone know what resorts those are?? TIA

We stayed at POFQ during marathon week last year, and there were several marathoners staying there, so I assume that's one. Also just remembered seeing marathoners in the morning at AKL food court this year, so guess that's one also. Maybe they all are??

So I was talking to a friend about the marathon for next January and we are in the process of signing up and booking hotel rooms and all that. They said that there is only specific hotels that have the bus pick up that brings you to the starting line (or something like that.) Anyone know what resorts those are?? TIA

I ran the Marathon last year and I am doing it again this year. All the WDW resort hotels pick up for the start line and they also will drop you off after the race. Last year we stayed at POR and it was a 10 min ride there and only 5 back.

Generally the Marathon sells out by Aug 1st and the half marathon before that.

At the current time Disney has yet to release the resort prices for 08 so you will not be able to book you hotel. Last year they release the prices at the beginning of August.

Good luck and run safe.

If you visit the W.I.S.H. board here on the disboards (under Just for Fun), there is a group of people who are all training for the wdw marathon and other races throughout the year, if you look under events/competition on that board, you can find the weekly training thread. I recently started reading that thread as I am training for the 2008 marathon, and the folks there are great at answering any questions you have about the marathon and training in general! Hope to see you over there!

The POP Century is a main one. We have stayed there. It is a very popular one. It books fast.

Never heard that. Now the monorail hotels do not need buses because you just ride the monorail.....but I believe all other hotels have buses. Make sure you ask the specific times when you check in - we were told 3 - 4 am only....after that they would stop.

Runners have to be at the start line by 4AM so the last bus leaves the resort around 3:30AM. These are charter buses and not WDW buses, so sometimes the bus drivers don't know all the ins and outs of getting to Epcot. If you stay at OKW, you can walk to the start line. If you stay at an Epcot resort, you'll have to take a bus because you can't walk through Epcot at 3:30AM.

At the current time Disney has yet to release the resort prices for 08 so you will not be able to book you hotel. Last year they release the prices at the beginning of August.

Good luck and run safe.

You can absolutely book your room now, and you will be notified of the 2008 rates when they become available. I booked the Poly for great monorail access to starting line and easy spots for family to observe miles 9 and 13 along race route before heading to Epcot - by monorail - for the finish. Granted I would not normally pay so much to stay at Poly but for the marathon I'll splurge for a few nights!

Thanks so much everyone! I had never heard of the buses only picking up at certain locations either so I wanted to double check before I actually booked a room. Thanks!

I was able to book my room (well campsite at Ft. Wilderness) on Saturday. They released the Marathon packages on that day. I called WDW Sports Travel at 407-939-7810. The prices depend upon where you want you stay, tickets, etc. I was allowed to just book the campsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter