Disney Magical Express

DME usually sends out your packet 3-4 weeks prior to travel. Each person listed on the reservation will get one luggage tag. DME started this, rather than the two tags pp, a few years ago when airlines started charging for checked bags. People were just tossing out the extra tags.
If you think you will need more than the one pp, just call DME after you get your packet and tell them you need more..they will send them to you.

Here's the issue....many people have reported not getting their info packets prior to travel. You need to call DME if you haven't gotten that packet 2 weeks prior to travel. A few things may have happened....you may have just gotten lost in the shuffle, so to speak. They can send out the packet right then. OR....worst case scenario would be that you were never listed as having a reservation in the first place!!! IF that were to be the case, you wouldn't be allowed on the bus when you got to the airport.
So, call if that packet hasn't arrived a few weeks prior to travel.

DME isn't going to be perfect. It isn't even going to be the right way to go for everyone. And that's fine. There is something for everyone. And each mode of transport to WDW has it's good points as well as it's bad points.

I just don't see the sense in spending over $100 to get to the resort 30 mins sooner. Or, to leave for the airport 30-45 mins later. That breaks down to about $50 an hour. Believe me...that time spent getting to WDW (or back to the airport) is a huge non-issue for me. But, obviously, others disagree.
Just wanted to put out my times so far, with DME and car services.

First off the way you express it 30 minutes + 30 minutes = 1 hour and if it's $100 to save that then it's $100/hr. Not $50.

But I rent a car from National so it's only about $30/day. Allowing me to stop at the store as I go to DVC.

However, I consult and depending on who I'm working for I charge at least $100/hour. So yes my time is worth $100/hr add to it .. I feel with everything else I'm spending to get to WDW it's well worth it where I can save time.

One of the best lines I have ever read about WDW is from Birmbauck's (sp) Guide to WDW book; if you are concerned about the cost of things and the time you may have to wait, don't go, you are guaranteeing yourself a disappointing time.

Or you can use touringplans.com and the unofficial guide I've never really been concerned with the monetary cost (I know what it costs and I stay within my budget.) I am concerned by the cost in time (the wait) so I have resources to minimize that, also for me it's a bit of a game...

I do get disappointed by things DME is the perfect example. It's not run, from my experience, at the level I expect from Disney (part of which I blame on the fact that it's run by Mears not Disney.) As far as I can tell since it's outsourced there control over it is limited. I was HONESTLY surprised they renewed the contract with Mears to run it.

We always plan on 90 minutes from getting off plane to getting to resort. That way, we are pleasantly surprised when it takes us closer to 60-70 minutes. THe amount of wait is as previous posters have said, depends on how full your bus is. It was great when we were the last on and first off. That skewed the time much closer to 45-50 minutes. As far as our tags, we received them last week for our 10/6 trip, so what's that, about 5 weeks early? To me, the only downfall is not having the stop at a store like you would with a towncar, yes, it is worth saving $100 plus by taking ME.

To me, the only downfall is not having the stop at a store like you would with a towncar, yes, it is worth saving $100 plus by taking ME.

Two things first one way rentals are available.. MCO -> swan/dolphin which are cheaper than $100.

Second... have you ever done a spread sheet to figure out what your cost per hour is at Disney?

((cost per point /50 + MF that year per point ) * points used for stay +
tickets/AP +
Food +
airfare ) / hours of trip

I suspect you'll be surprised at how much that "Free" Bus ride is. Realistically you should divide by number of hours the parks are open while you are there.. but lets just call it front door of your full-time home and back.

First off the way you express it 30 minutes + 30 minutes = 1 hour and if it's $100 to save that then it's $100/hr. Not $50.

But I rent a car from National so it's only about $30/day. Allowing me to stop at the store as I go to DVC.

However, I consult and depending on who I'm working for I charge at least $100/hour. So yes my time is worth $100/hr add to it .. I feel with everything else I'm spending to get to WDW it's well worth it where I can save time.
Good catch...that's what happens when I'm not paying attention. It would be paying $100 an hour...not something I'm prepared to do. You are...that's your choice.
Or you can use touringplans.com and the unofficial guide I've never really been concerned with the monetary cost (I know what it costs and I stay within my budget.) I am concerned by the cost in time (the wait) so I have resources to minimize that, also for me it's a bit of a game...

I do get disappointed by things DME is the perfect example. It's not run, from my experience, at the level I expect from Disney (part of which I blame on the fact that it's run by Mears not Disney.) As far as I can tell since it's outsourced there control over it is limited. I was HONESTLY surprised they renewed the contract with Mears to run it.
The only way for DME to be improved is to run buses every 10 mins..not matter how many people are on that bus. It is very efficient for what it is...mass transit. If you had ever used the old Mears shuttle, you would think DME is close to perfect. It isn't but it does a very decent job.

Two things first one way rentals are available.. MCO -> swan/dolphin which are cheaper than $100.

Second... have you ever done a spread sheet to figure out what your cost per hour is at Disney?

((cost per point /50 + MF that year per point ) * points used for stay +
tickets/AP +
Food +
airfare ) / hours of trip

I suspect you'll be surprised at how much that "Free" Bus ride is. Realistically you should divide by number of hours the parks are open while you are there.. but lets just call it front door of your full-time home and back.

Okay...here's the thing. I'm on vacation. I plan, but don't go overboard. In order to 'get the most' from my stay in WDW, from your viewpoint, I need to be running from point A to point B, cramming in as much as is humanly possible, from wheels down at MCO to wheels up at departure. I can't be bothered with all that. I am on vacation...I am relaxing..I am not thinking overly about how much each minute in WDW is costing me.

I also own DVC...I don't put each vacation, using DVC, under a magnifying glass to see if I'm truly getting the best use of my points.
But....if you wish to do that, that is your right. I know how much that 'free' bus ride is with DME. Every single person staying at a WDW resort is paying for it...even those not riding the bus. It is hiding out in the room rates. The same as free dining is, or other discounts. Nothing is 'free' at WDW..nothing.

But all in all, DME is a decent way to get to WDW. If you choose to book a car service, or rent a car, that's fine. It just gets tiring to come here and watch how those who don't use DME feel the need to denigrate those who do. The service works fine for some of us..why the need to try and make us feel like idiots for using it??? Do I come here and tell you that I see no sense whatsoever in renting a car while at WDW?? No..never have, never will. If someone wants to do that, fine...fewer people on any of the buses, which makes me happy.
Sorry for the rant...done, and moving on.

DME usually sends out your packet 3-4 weeks prior to travel. Each person listed on the reservation will get one luggage tag. DME started this, rather than the two tags pp, a few years ago when airlines started charging for checked bags. People were just tossing out the extra tags.
If you think you will need more than the one pp, just call DME after you get your packet and tell them you need more..they will send them to you.

Here's the issue....many people have reported not getting their info packets prior to travel. You need to call DME if you haven't gotten that packet 2 weeks prior to travel. A few things may have happened....you may have just gotten lost in the shuffle, so to speak. They can send out the packet right then. OR....worst case scenario would be that you were never listed as having a reservation in the first place!!! IF that were to be the case, you wouldn't be allowed on the bus when you got to the airport.
So, call if that packet hasn't arrived a few weeks prior to travel.

DME isn't going to be perfect. It isn't even going to be the right way to go for everyone. And that's fine. There is something for everyone. And each mode of transport to WDW has it's good points as well as it's bad points.

The ME luggage tags that they send are approx. 12 inches long with the same bar code on either end. I read (a while ago) on another thread that you could cut the tag in 1/2 so that each 1/2 has a bar code and use them on two separate checked bags. I have done this in the past and it works fine...so this is always an option if you have time constraints - like figuring out at the last minute that you need another ME luggage tag :upsidedow.

As far as calling to check the status of your ME packet - yes! MS can look and see at what point in the process your packet is. I called for this last trip and was told everything had returned from the printer and was set to ship that day. We received it two days later.

The only way for DME to be improved is to run buses every 10 mins..not matter how many people are on that bus. It is very efficient for what it is...mass transit. If you had ever used the old Mears shuttle, you would think DME is close to perfect. It isn't but it does a very decent job.

Maybe not "no matter how many people" They can leave them sit empty. But I would like to see a no more than 10-15 minutes after the bus starts to load. It drives me nuts, the bus is 70-80% full basically as full as it's going to get because the seats without people have stuff in them and the bus is sitting there idleing because the want to stick 3-4 more people on it.

But all in all, DME is a decent way to get to WDW. If you choose to book a car service, or rent a car, that's fine. It just gets tiring to come here and watch how those who don't use DME feel the need to denigrate those who do.
The service works fine for some of us..why the need to try and make us feel like idiots for using it??? Do I come here and tell you that I see no sense whatsoever in renting a car while at WDW?? No..never have, never will. If someone wants to do that, fine...fewer people on any of the buses, which makes me happy.
Sorry for the rant...done, and moving on.

I have used the service multiple times, since the month it started, I was VERY excited about DME when it started. I have been very disappointed in the service. I want the service to be better.

Before you suggest me telling Guest Relations, I already have. Several times, and the answer is always some flavor of we will pass it on to DME, but that is a contracted service which we have no power over. All my issues Disney has done what they can to "make things right" but I want the service to work, not for Disney to try to make it up.

I never said you where an idiot for using it. But I do object when people say it's a Free service. It's not free, the cost is hidden, either expressed as part of your room rate or expressed as a function of extra time.

Going from WDW to airport works good, it's just the other way. I would be on the safe side and have what you will need for that night and next day's clothing in carry on. Have a safe and fun trip!!!

We are on the west coast and usually arrive late or later! There is never a crowd or a wait for a bus at this time of night. Usually the instructions are that if you arriving late (do not recall the specific time they note) it is best to get your bags and take them to ME yourself.

Encouraging news, thanks! :)

It drives me nuts, the bus is 70-80% full basically as full as it's going to get because the seats without people have stuff in them and the bus is sitting there idleing because the want to stick 3-4 more people on it.

But think how magical that is for the three or four people that they were waiting for! Some days I am on the "receiving" end. Other days I am on the "giving" end. Regardless, I'm at the "Orlando" end of my vacation so I try not to stress over too much. :cloud9:

Love ME!! Just completed a trip last Tuesday and it was excellent. I prefer not to drive. I don't like the toll roads and i don't like having to take the time to pick up or drop off. You still need to allow time to drop off your rental and traffic so ME times are not excessive.
This trip we were at our gate 30 minutes prior to the gate agent. We accidentally got on the tram to A instead of B despite me being a "world" traveler :) I was happy we were not rushing. I am also Elite on Airtran and biz class upgrades are available 40 minutes to departure so again being a bit early really helps me stay out of coach!! My bff and I were both upgraded to biz class :).
ME really makes the departure a less stressful way to go. RAC is great also. Sitting by the pool on our last day knowing we already checked our bags, and pickup time was set was great!

I work as a nurse and I am constantly running rarely do I get a full 30 min lunch break. So when we go to WDW we slow down. We own DVC and once we land at use DME we are on vacation mode. If you need to go go go I suggest a rental car. I love the fact someone else handles the luggage and someone drives. If I have to wait 15-20 min that is ok.
Lexi

Maybe not "no matter how many people" They can leave them sit empty. But I would like to see a no more than 10-15 minutes after the bus starts to load. It drives me nuts, the bus is 70-80% full basically as full as it's going to get because the seats without people have stuff in them and the bus is sitting there idleing because the want to stick 3-4 more people on it.

I have used the service multiple times, since the month it started, I was VERY excited about DME when it started. I have been very disappointed in the service. I want the service to be better.

Before you suggest me telling Guest Relations, I already have. Several times, and the answer is always some flavor of we will pass it on to DME, but that is a contracted service which we have no power over. All my issues Disney has done what they can to "make things right" but I want the service to work, not for Disney to try to make it up.

I never said you where an idiot for using it. But I do object when people say it's a Free service. It's not free, the cost is hidden, either expressed as part of your room rate or expressed as a function of extra time.
DME does work...and it works pretty well for what it is. It isn't going to get any better. And it makes no sense to hope it will. I have never said DME is a free service..yes, Disney 'says' it is, but we're not stupid. The cost is being covered somewhere and that is in room rates. My 'idiot' comment pertains to all those people who denigrate those who choose to use DME rather than a car service or rental car. The service works just fine for the vast majority of guests. As I have said before....my quickest trip, from gate to resort, was 45 mins. I had only carryon bags, and had a towncar waiting for me. My longest trip was 90 mins, with DME. My resort was the last of three stops, with a ton of checked luggage having to be unstowed at each resort. The wait for the bus to get to MCO was a bit longer than usual (about 15 mins) and then the wait on the bus was about 24 mins...again, longer than usual. It was a combination of many things going wrong.
But, my average time from gate to resort is less than 70 mins. And since the ride from MCO to WDW resorts is about 30 mins, that addtl 40 mins isn't bad. It includes a stop in the restroom after deplaning, the walk to DME area, any wait in line to checkin for DME, the wait in the bus line, and subsequently the wait onboard the bus.

You sound like the perfect candidate for a car service...and there's nothing wrong with that. I sometimes like the more personal and faster service with a towncar company.
But to think that DME is going to change, any time soon, so as to enable guests to get to WDW more quickly...well, that just isn't going to happen. I can't tell you how many times our bus has left MCO only half full. We didn't sit there waiting for the bus to be full. We sat there for about 12 mins...not a hardship...and then left. DME knows, ball park, how many people are expected at any given time. If they know there are going to be about 100 guests arriving in a 15 min time span, they will hold the buses a bit longer, figuring (I'm sure) that it's better to hold guests a bit longer seated on the bus, rather than leave arriving guests standing in a bus line, waiting for up to 20 mins.
But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We will have to agree to disagree where DME is concerned. It's certainly not perfect, but it does a good job for what it is...a nice shuttle system that isn't being paid for, out of pocket.

Since becoming DVC owners 4 years ago, we have used DME each and every time. Never has there been any problems. We feel the money we are not using towards taxi's, rental car, etc. can be used on something else. As far as wait time, it is not that bad. Alot of the time we even pack frozen meats in a cooler pack that is in our luggage and the food is still frozen by the time our luggage arrives and we are flying down from Boston!

It's not free, the cost is hidden, either expressed as part of your room rate or expressed as a function of extra time.

If it is a hidden cost and you do not take advantage of it , it is truely a lost cost to you. If you take advantage of it then you are getting your monies worth. We have used it several times and sure you many times have to wait for the bus or it is slow. If this bothers people, then why are you going to Disney, the king of lines and waits??...smjj

If it is a hidden cost and you do not take advantage of it , it is truely a lost cost to you. If you take advantage of it then you are getting your monies worth. We have used it several times and sure you many times have to wait for the bus or it is slow. If this bothers people, then why are you going to Disney, the king of lines and waits??...smjj

The cost is hidden in time for me, and I'll spend extra to save time.

IF you read my earlier post you'll see I avoid the lines by using things like touringplans. I also go a slow times (Oct and early Dec.)

I never said I go when there are long wait times, I know I'll go back so I don't need to ride soarin when the fastpasses are gone and the wait is 3 hours (yes I've seen a posted 180+ minute wait.)

Love ME!!
<snip>
ME really makes the departure a less stressful way to go. RAC is great also. Sitting by the pool on our last day knowing we already checked our bags, and pickup time was set was great!

RAC = Resort Airline Check-in....when you're leaving to go back to MCO many airlines have baggage check-in at the resorts. :love:

Agreed! I'm so happy they finally added Southwest to their airlines that can use this service. Being able to check our bags at the counter outside WL and never worry about them again until we were back in providence was wonderful. We still had to retrieve our carry-ons from Bell services, but no need to drag the 3 big ones up to the counter in the airport.

Now if Disney could only implement a fastpass for those MCO airport security lines - that would be magical!

:wizard:

We got our ME luggage tags yesterday, 32 days out. I think that is a record. All accounted for(1 tag per person)...smjj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter