• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Magic rescues 18 lost at sea!

We had no issues making it to our next destination (which was Barcelona) on time. Some of those rescued were put in the 2 rooms next to ours as the people who were in them got off in Gibraltar.

They posted someone outside their room at all times and we never saw them leave. One of them did require a wheelchair. There were numerous visits to the cabin by doctors etc. They were debarked early this morning and we weren't up yet.

They were also brought room service regularly, but I am sure the doctors were monitoring their diet. :)

Thanks for the first hand reporting! Looking forward to hear more of your trip from the Dover to Barcelona. Not many other posts from anyone since the Magic set sail from Dover. :confused3

On our Dec, 2001 Eastern Cruise on the Magic, someone had a heart attack during the night after we left Port Canaveral and the medical staff saved the guy's life. We stopped by a small island (could have been San Salvador Island) the next day to drop him off to be transported back to the States. The only thing we noticed was that the ship was stopped for a while during the time they ferried him to the island. We didn't find out the whole story until a sea day when the topic came up during a Q&A with the captain and he explained it.

We were on that cruise as well....It was awesome to see how they were able to handle an emergency like that.

I'm onboard the Magic right now and Captian John came on at about noon today and announced that at 3:45am this morning, the Magic rec'd a SOS call stating that a nearby ship heard screams in the water. The ship then commenced rescue operations and found 18 Algierians who had been lost at sea for 4-5 days. They are onboard now and are recieving food and water and healthcare. WOW!

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job to the captain and crew of the Disney Magic! Just another reason to love DCL!

Hiya Suzi!

Both the Magic and Wonder have their own built in retractable dock to bring a smaller ship alongside, it's how they work ports where they have to tender in.

Thanks for the info Mark!! I think it would be really interesting to watch!! (I think we sailed with you guys last year?? MC09.)

I saw a link to an article about this thread on Facebook. Thank you for sharing! I love stories like this. This is exactly why I love Disney, what Magic they do!

Wow, my former boss is on this cruise right now. Can't wait to hear her stories when she gets back. Way to go Disney!! :thumbsup2

What a great story! Brother and SIL just got off the cruise a few days earlier in London, before it went to Barcelona - they had a great time, I was completely jealous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter