• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Magic - Nov 10, 2012 - Western Caribbean from Galveston - Sun, Fun & Beaches!

Melissa1213 said:
I did the same thing this morning. Got my oldest daughter (7) Ariel, Tiana, and Tinkerbell, My youngest (4) already has hers but I did get her the Red Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland also. =) Maybe our kids will meet and play together..SO EXCITED!!!

Auri would love to meet a girl around her age to play with! We will be at the group meet up in the Rockin Bar D on Sunday, if you want to let the girls meet there. =)

Hello all, Anyone else wanting to blow off the next week of work and head down to Galveston early?! OK, back to reality (for me anyhow)... My travel agent just returned from this ship last week, and said the ship and entire experience was so much better then she had even dreamed it would be! She called me as soon as she returned and gave me her full and mostly glowing report. =) As if I needed any extra excitement! Anyhow, I am curious if anyone would concur with her take on Costa Maya - she says it is basically a shopping port that is overpriced significantly compared to the other 2 ports, and unless you have an excursion booked there is little else to do.

I"m ready to leave now! I'm a pre-k teacher with an exceptionally "challenging" :headache: class this year, and I definitely need a break! We are a year round program which runs June to May, so after 6 months with this group I am ready for some relaxation!

I am curious if anyone would concur with her take on Costa Maya - she says it is basically a shopping port that is overpriced significantly compared to the other 2 ports, and unless you have an excursion booked there is little else to do.
I would concur 100%. We were there 2 years ago on Carnival and I considered it a 'drinking port'. I was on Bing Maps yesterday and zoomed in there and there is nothing beyond the buildings. It's a manufactured port for cruise ship passengers to spend money. (Bars and shopping)
DW and I have no real interest in getting off the ship and spending any money in Mexico period, but if there was something educational for the kids, we'll explore that option.

I'm sure I'm not alone in that I've been studying the navigators trying to plan our days. I have all these ideas of what I want to do but might just end up reading a book(& sleeping) in a lounge chair most of the time, lol. Has anyone done the tastings on board before? Any feed back? Also, the trivia is it really hard or can you just have fun even if you don't participate? Can't believe this trip trip is a week from tomorrow!

Jenn

YAY! One week till we head to Galveston! Ohmygosh! So, I did go shopping for Princess dresses yesterday, and I was disappointed that none of the Halloween shops near us had any princess dresses in her size left. =( So, I hit Craigslist just to see what Halloween castoffs were being offered, and I found Tinkerbell's and Aurora's dresses for $5 each in my daughter's size!!! Picked them up last night and they are in very good shape! What a deal! Magic is beginning already. Now I just have to find some pirate garb for us. If only my hubby hadn't left with my car keys this morning!!!! Oh, well. Gives me time to finish up the FE crafts! HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!

I'm sure I'm not alone in that I've been studying the navigators trying to plan our days. I have all these ideas of what I want to do but might just end up reading a book(& sleeping) in a lounge chair most of the time, lol. Has anyone done the tastings on board before? Any feed back? Also, the trivia is it really hard or can you just have fun even if you don't participate? Can't believe this trip trip is a week from tomorrow!

Jenn

There really *is* a lot to do on board, it can be almost overwhelming, especially for a planner like me. We are going on our fourth cruise and there's *still* a lot of stuff we haven't had a chance to do (I am determined to do the Art of the Theme Ship this time!!). On our past cruises, we were able to strike a balance between activities and chillin'. It's why we love cruising so much -- it's a TRUE vacation. I love the parks, but with two young kids they are NOT relaxing!

We have done wine, beer, martini, tequila and cognac tastings. The only one I didn't like was the cognac. I guess I don't like cognac by itself, only *in* other things! A lot depends on the presenter, usually one of the bartenders. We had a fabulous Tequila/Margarita instructor, an OK wine instructor, and a very poor cognac instructor (language issues, plus he was *way* too long-winded and I simply didn't enjoy the tastings themselves). We are planning on doing the Mojito tasting. Unfortunately, I didn't see Mixology or Champagne listed on the navigators. I don't know that I want to do a repeat of the ones we have done before.

I would concur 100%. We were there 2 years ago on Carnival and I considered it a 'drinking port'. I was on Bing Maps yesterday and zoomed in there and there is nothing beyond the buildings. It's a manufactured port for cruise ship passengers to spend money. (Bars and shopping)
DW and I have no real interest in getting off the ship and spending any money in Mexico period, but if there was something educational for the kids, we'll explore that option.

As I understand it, the only really good thing about Costa Maya is the Mayan ruins, if you are interested in that sort of thing. (We are.) The problem is that we're not in port long enough to do anything but the one close ruin. The other ruins require something like an 8 hour excursion, so aren't even being offered.

Ready to go!!! My hubby had to fly yesterday to Monday so I have spent that time finishing up my packing and my sons. Now when he gets back we can load his bag w the stuff I pulled out for him. Can we make today this next Friday instead of a week from now?!!! So excited :)

Happy Friday!!
I only have 2 more work days unti Vacation!!! Today was painful, focusing on work was hard!!
Laundry tomorrow, packing Sunday!

Jenn

I have done multiple Martini and Margarita/ Tequila tastings. It was one of the Margarita/ Tequila tastings that introduced me to Patron XO Cafe. I was in the first ever group to have a Mojito tasting. We were on the Westbound Transatlantic in 2010 and our DIS group did all kinds of group activities including multiple group tastings. A lot of them were standard offerings like Martini, Beer, Wine and Mixology, but we asked for a Mojito tasting. Initially DCL said it could not be done. The organizer pointed out that they are already doing a bunch of different Mojitos so it should not be too difficult. They then got back to her saying they do not feel that there was any interest in this, but if she could get at least 40 people together, we could have our Mojito tasting. In the end we had over 8 and they split us into two groups and still had to do the tasting in Animator's Palate. The bartenders who did our tasting told us that every bartender on the ship wanted to host this tasting. I was absolutely tickled when I realized that they had added this as a regular tasting.

As to the trivia, I am finding a lot of it very hard, but part of it as a lot of the questions are very much geared towards Americans and I am from the UK. I love the Theme Park and Pirate trivia though.

There really *is* a lot to do on board, it can be almost overwhelming, especially for a planner like me. We are going on our fourth cruise and there's *still* a lot of stuff we haven't had a chance to do (I am determined to do the Art of the Theme Ship this time!!). On our past cruises, we were able to strike a balance between activities and chillin'. It's why we love cruising so much -- it's a TRUE vacation. I love the parks, but with two young kids they are NOT relaxing!

We have done wine, beer, martini, tequila and cognac tastings. The only one I didn't like was the cognac. I guess I don't like cognac by itself, only *in* other things! A lot depends on the presenter, usually one of the bartenders. We had a fabulous Tequila/Margarita instructor, an OK wine instructor, and a very poor cognac instructor (language issues, plus he was *way* too long-winded and I simply didn't enjoy the tastings themselves). We are planning on doing the Mojito tasting. Unfortunately, I didn't see Mixology or Champagne listed on the navigators. I don't know that I want to do a repeat of the ones we have done before.

I did the Art of the Theme Ship on the Wonder on our Panama Canal cruise and loved it. I should really do it on the Magic, too. This will be our 9th DCL cruise and there is still a bunch of things that I have never done before.

As I understand it, the only really good thing about Costa Maya is the Mayan ruins, if you are interested in that sort of thing. (We are.) The problem is that we're not in port long enough to do anything but the one close ruin. The other ruins require something like an 8 hour excursion, so aren't even being offered.

The Mayan ruins is what has attracted me to this cruise. I know there are bigger and better sites in other parts of the Yucatan Peninsula, but I have hear a lot of great things about Chaccoben.

Corinna

Hey, folks, we are counting down the days!!! We are busy little bees working on our FE gifts and was wondering if we had ages on Ainsley, Mima, Diego, and Amy? I looked through the postings but may have missed it. I don't mind adding the ones that missed the FE date either. Will someone let me know how I can get the info? Also, we have two 13 year old girls who would love to meet someone their age! Thanks...

:yay: Can't believe we are down to 8 days!:yay: Today I finished three weeks worth of individual lesson plans for each of my students, and I an almost done with my three weeks of lesson plans (next week, the week we will be gone, and the short week after that since I'm not going back until Tuesday)! I told my assistant that if I have it finished early in the week I'm going to take off Thursday as well...so much to do! :hyper:

After the week I've had, I'm going into the Rainforest suite on day 1 and y'all will have to send a search party for me on disembarkation day!! :) :)

So much for my grand pre-packing plans. Looks like it will be a mad dash to stuff the suitcases on Tuesday for Wednesday departure. I did remember to get my passport from the bank today! Guess that's all I really need. Google maps says there's a Sam's Club on Cozumel, I can pick up anything else there, lol.

Really looking forward to being disconnected and unavailable.

Really looking forward to being disconnected and unavailable.

Yes!!!!

The sad thing is, we went on a cruise in June. One cruise a year is not enough -- I'm finding we really need this one b/c of our stressful daily lives. I'm just thankful that we were able to afford this one (mostly because of the great military fares). I hope we can maintain our habit!

Tower said:

We didn't book an excursion at Costa either I herd bad things too. We are staying on the ship that day.

One week from today we set sail!!!!!!!:cool1::banana::dance3::yay::cheer2:
I went out early and got all the pre-trip errands done. the pets have plenty of food and treats, we have all the toiletries we need, and easy/low mess meals to make between now and Tuesday!
DH is getting ready to go to trash, then its laundry and packing time!!!!:cool1:

I am silly excited. I am finishing off work with a run of 9 consecutive days at work. Today was day 6, but it was a productive day.

I am about 90% done with my preparations, which is just as well. I finally got around to making the last ADR for the Walt Disney World part of the vacation and pre-ordered my Photopass CD.

For the cruise part of the vacation, I finally got around to book our transfers from IAH to Galveston. We have gone with ExecuCar (a sister company of Supershuttle) for this. On the way back, we were pondering DCL transfers, but have now decided to do a one-way car rental as this gives us more flexibility. Our flight to Orlando does not leave until 7:45 PM that evening.

I had a bit of a setback today. I always call DCL before the cruise and add some money to our on board account. Well normally I always go through my fantastic DU travel agent and therefore pay in Dollars. This time round I booked through the website and as I am in the UK, I was charged in Pounds. Because of this, I now can't add any money to my on board account before the cruise.

I also think I have blown the surprise. I was working on the first batch of magnets when DH walked in on me. He is normally not very observant when it comes to things like this, but I had a Got Veranda magnet in amongst them and he homed in on this straightaway.

I have still got my magnets to finish off, print off the final confirmations, charge our various cameras and pack. I am also treating myself to a manicure on Wednesday which is the first official day of my vacation.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter