Disney Magic - 05/10/13 (May 10, 2013) - Calling All Kids At Heart

We are planning to place our order Friday with a couple spares for just in case sot the 25th works for us.

I am so looking forward to this trip. I just completed my first scrapbook and I will be applying the lessons learned on photo taking on this trip. When you add the four days at sea I will have a lot of time to really go nuts with the camera :woohoo:

We are going to be spending our "Disney" morning on a port adventure in Animal Kingdom but hopefully we will spend the afternoon/evening in Epcot at the Festival.

Jim

i was thinking about the 5K as well. Not sure i can run the whole thing, but run/walk combo is likely what i would do. I think it mostly will depend on how i feel that morning :)

I just sent a facebook request.

My 20-year old is running the 5K.

I "intend" to walk the Magic track as many days as time allows in the AM.

Where can we sign up for this? I may try to walk it. Don't want to pass out while on vacation. hehe

Are there any other non-sun people out there? I will be very limited at CC because I am extremely sensitive to the sun. I have a long sleeve swim shirt and swim tights (which my sister lovingly refers to as my swim burqa) so I can go out a little. But...Sun=bad.

Oh, also a tip for people who use e-readers. Two gallon sized ziplock bags (I use two for extra protection) are a great way to make your ereader sand/water resistant.

Can't believe how close the cruise is!!! :)
We are getting so excited!

Question for everyone... does anyone have any suggestions for things to do, restaurants or stores to visit near the George Bush airport?

We are flying in 2 days early and staying at the marriott at the airport and were hoping someone might be able to suggest some things to do in the area... it will be our first time in Texas!!!! ;)

cactusblossom30 said:
Hi everyone. I am also participating in the castaway cay 5k. see you then!

Yay! I am excited for the castaway cay 5k. My plan is to run the track on the ship a few days but we'll see how that goes... I really dislike running on treadmills so running on one on a moving ship is definitely out!

Saw some others interested in the castaway cay 5k,yay! From what I have read on the boards, it is open to all running/walking levels and abilities and you get a mouse medal! :)

Can't believe how close the cruise is!!

Gennie

Question for everyone... does anyone have any suggestions for things to do, restaurants or stores to visit near the George Bush airport?

We are flying in 2 days early and staying at the marriott at the airport and were hoping someone might be able to suggest some things to do in the area... it will be our first time in Texas!!!! ;)

As a Houstonian, I can tell you George Bush Airport doesn't have much in the vicinity. At least nothing to brag about. Although the airport has several restaurants and shops within. I haven't been in the airport recently but I heard terminal B just received a pretty nice makeover. The closest shopping mall is Greenspoint which I would not recommend going to. Doesn't Houston sound lovely?

But really Houston has a lot to offer, just not much by the airport. one thing to keep in mind is that Houston is VERY spreadout. So what we consider "near" may not be so near by other standards. West of IAH about 20-25 minutes (drive no traffic) is Willowbrook mall which has some pretty decent shopping. East of IAH maybe 15-20 minutes is Deerbrook mall. I've actually never been in that mall so I can't say what it has to offer.

Your best shopping experience will be the Galleria mall; maybe 30-35 minutes (no traffic). It also has some really great restaurants and plenty of other shopping and restaurants in that area. You can see Houston's Water Wall there as well.

Houston's awesome medical center and downtown is maybe a 10-15 minutes drive from the Galleria and has several museums and the Houston Zoo you can see. Restaurants are PLENTY! We love to eat!

On your way to Galveston you can stop by the Kemah Boardwalk for more eating as well as entertainment and amusement park. Right by Kemah is the Space Center too!

In Galveston is the Pleasure Pier which is like a miniature Santa Monica Pier.

If you have the time to try and catch any attractions, look into purchasing a City Pass (http://www.citypass.com/houston). It allows you access to 5 different attractions (you choose from) for $46. Pretty good steal if you add up admission for each attraction by itself.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have questions and an early Welcome to Houston! :cool1:

Oh and by the way, my DH is from Toronto! ;)

Oh and by the way, my DH is from Toronto! ;)

Thank you so much for all the info!!!

We love to eat too, so hopefully I can convince the rest of the gang to venture out to Galleria and explore/eat! :)

ahaha, small world! Toronto is only an hour away from us (we live in kitchener)!! :D

I live in the Montrose/River Oaks area. (meaning downtownish for non-Houstonians) I've lived here a year and a half and I do know how to get to the Galleria. But, I pretty much try to avoid places where I have to drive my car; I ride my bike everywhere! :) There are tons of good restaurants by me, which is right near 45 (which is pretty much what you take to get to Galveston.)

Drivers here are crazy. People run stop signs/red lights ALL. THE. TIME! I've never seen so many run red lights before I moved here. Right in the middle of the day in busy traffic too!

Speaking of traffic, do yourself a favor, avoid rush hour as much as humanly possible. I don't drive in it, but I hear horror stories.

Pro tip: even though some highways are tolls, there's a frontage road that runs alongside usually that will get you to where you need to go. Also, U-Turns are not only legal in Houston, they are frequently required and there are special u-turn only lanes.

Kolaches are like donuts. You'll see Kolache stores everywhere. It's a Czech thing - apparently Houston used to have a lot of Czech immigrants. They can have savory breakfast stuff inside (sausage/eggs/etc) or sweet and have fruit (they look a little more like a danish)

As was previously stated, there are a TON of amazing restaurants here. Name a type of food, and there's probably a great place to find it in Houston. The Museum district is really nice. The Medical Center is like a city all its own (it has its own skyline)

Where can we sign up for this? I may try to walk it. Don't want to pass out while on vacation. hehe

I think you just show up at a specified location on the island? I couldn't find anything on the DCL website that was specific. My husband was thinking about running it. I do know you get something in the end. Check with Guest Services.

As a Houstonian for the past 5 years, and frequently traveller to the city who spent many nights at the Marriott at IAH, I can tell you that is not a very nice hotel and I would really recommend a change if you can.

As mentioned by the prior poster, the area near the airport is more industrial, not close to much in the way of food, etc. You can stay at many nicer areas for the same amount of money, and have a better impression/experience.

I think it might be nice to make your way to Galveston earlier, that way it would be nice and convenient for you to get to the cruise ship. If you are interested in staying in a more urban area, I echo The Galleria.

There are some equivalently priced hotels (Aloft, Hyatt House), some convenient (Westin in the Galleria mall), and very nice JW Marriott.

The galleria has tons of shopping and eating http://www.simon.com/mall/the-galleria

Houston has some other areas as well that are urban, yet residential like River Oaks, West University (close to Rice University and the medical center, the largest in the US), that would leave a favorable impression and be close to eating and entertainment.

The Astros are in town, and a baseball game is a great way to spend a night. It is a beautiful stadium with not a bad seat in the house (though many empty ones!)

If traveling with kids, check out the children's museum and the Zoo. They are both very nice size. Depending on what you decide to do, the City Pass http://www.citypass.com/houston might be something you find a good bargain.

If you want some more specific advice or ideas, send me a private message. Call me the goodwill ambassador in Houston, wanting to make sure our visitors have a nice time ahead of the cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter