Disney lays off more parks executives

TheRustyScupper

Everyone Is Responsible For Everyone.
And the "hits" keep on coming (and, there are rumored more to come):

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
5:39 p.m. EST, November 19, 2013

The Walt Disney Co.'s theme-park division has laid off three more upper-level executives, continuing a quiet restructuring that began earlier this year.

Among the newest departures is Rick Continelli, the senior vice president of park sales and services for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Continelli oversaw Disney's meetings-and-convention business, plus youth, military, weddings and sports programs and the Disney Institute, a management-consulting unit.

Continelli was Disney's liaison to Visit Orlando, the region's publicly subsidized tourism bureau. He is currently a member of the agency's board of directors.

In addition, Disney laid off two veteran executives from its information-technology group: Laura Hall and Allen Fazio, both vice presidents and both of whom had more than 20 years with the company.

Disney recently restructured its animals, science and environment team, as well, though it said no jobs were cut.

With the latest moves, Disney has now laid off at least half a dozen parks executives in recent months, including two from its research team and another from its Internet group. Several of the job eliminations stem from a reorganization two years in which sales and marketing groups were merged.

Three others have also left Disney's parks division recently for new jobs, including Brian Britton, former vice president of global park operations and planning who was named chief operating officer for Chicago-based Levy Restaurants. Two others moved to Comcast Corp.'s NBCUniversal.

Altogether, the departing executives had more than 110 years of combined experience with Disney's parks and resorts business.

Disney said it would not comment on "individual employment matters."

"We regularly evaluate our organization to meet the evolving needs of our guests and our business," Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said.

As part of the most recent changes, Disney has also assigned responsibility for the Disney Institute to Karl Holz, president of new vacation operations for Disney's parks division, whose portfolio also includes Disney Cruise Line, Disney Vacation Club and Adventures by Disney. The consulting business had previously fallen under Randy Garfield, executive vice president for worldwide sales and travel operations.

In addition, Disney laid off two veteran executives from its information-technology group: Laura Hall and Allen Fazio, both vice presidents and both of whom had more than 20 years with the company.
Hmmmm. Fallout from the MDE/FP+/MB/NextGen delay? (reference to your other post about Iger trying the system out and it being in deep doo-doo.)

You don't "lay off" executives.

You restructure and there is no position left for them, and you pay them lots of money to leave.

That is also how you usually fire an executive.

Any press release that says they "laid off" an executive is simply saving face.

Hmmmm. Fallout from the MDE/FP+/MB/NextGen delay? (reference to your other post about Iger trying the system out and it being in deep doo-doo.)

We're here now and the thing seems to be working fairly well...
My pin code has been locked out all week... But that's not too major.

What "deep doo doo" are we speaking of?

. . . What "deep doo doo" are we speaking of?

1) Ogre (I mean Iger) went to the WDW four weeks ago.
. . . he toured parks and resorts
. . . he wanted to see the bands work
. . . he was accompanied by a gaggle of suits
2) He wanted first-hand experiences with MP+
. . . there have been so many complaints
. . . there has been such major software revisions
. . . there is going to be a huge cost overrun
3) He got bands issued to him and he tried to use them like a guest would
. . . restaurants
. . . park entrance
. . . stores
. . . resort room door
4) When he tried the system, HE couldn't get his bands to work

NOTE: This was really funny to watch. I saw him and his entourage in the
park. As I was told, Iger tried to get a Fast Pass and tried to buy a souvenir,
and in both cases, the band didn't work. For one purchase (which I personally
witnessed) some junior clerk with him almost pushed the retail clerk away so
he could try to make the band work. The store clerk just stood back shaking
her head and mumbling. Iger walked away, with entourage in tow. I would like
to have been a fly in the wall when his day was reviewed.

. . . restaurants
. . . park entrance
. . . stores
. . . resort room door

That's really cool you got to see Iger inspecting the property. Did he seem "nice"? Y'know...did he acknowledge guests/greet them/chat with them? I think I would be more bowled over seeing Bob Iger than a "traditional celebrity".

Yes. I'm *that* big of a Disney geek!

. . . restaurants
. . . park entrance
. . . stores
. . . resort room door

Iger only cares about the cost overruns... As you know.

Is this rookie camp? ;)

Iger only cares about the cost overruns... As you know.

Is this rookie camp? ;)

The worst part about the magic bands so far for
Me is the cluelessness of the employees on them.

I expect no less (or more in this case)...Disney is far more interested in pulses than brains when they staff and it shows. The training is predictably bad and I heard several poorly executed excuses and misdirections...from the desk, pest relations, and managers both is GS and the park units...

You know...the "elite" stormtroopers of the army? (I say that in jest/truth because I used to resemble that remark ;) )

As always you get what you pay for...I just wish Disney would buy some better staff with what they "get" from me.

But I'll sooner see a mermaid riding a unicorn through the gun drop Forest

Odd, we were in Disney in October and saw a group of suits walking around I wonder if it was him

~Don't forget about Miyuki, the fabulous Japanese candy artist. This is totally uncalled for! :(

~Also, a few of the top guys from Disney's game and web department resigned. Where's My Water? 2 was a major flop. It was a smart move for Disney to assign a new management team. I am not a fan of Disney's games, I think they are awful. Epic Mickey 2 was a terrible disappointment, the only thing worse was the Wall-E video game. This is the reason we have no interest in Disney's Infinity. Anyway, I hope Disney's game content will improve.

DRDISNEYMD said:
~Don't forget about Miyuki, the fabulous Japanese candy artist. This is totally uncalled for! :(

~Also, a few of the top guys from Disney's game and web department resigned. Where's My Water? 2 was a major flop. It was a smart move for Disney to assign a new management team. I am not a fan of Disney's games, I think they are awful. Epic Mickey 2 was a terrible disappointment, the only thing worse was the Wall-E video game. This is the reason we have no interest in Disney's Infinity. Anyway, I hope Disney's game content will improve.

Miyuki is gone?!?!?!?!?!?

We're here now and the thing seems to be working fairly well...
My pin code has been locked out all week... But that's not too major.

What "deep doo doo" are we speaking of?
TheRustyScupper answered for me. That "doo doo" that the whole MB/FP+ is in right now.

We also tested the first week of November when we were there. Liked some aspects of it, others were glitchy and buggy at best. Jersey week was also going on while we were down there and we visited MK on a Sunday when the crowd level was pretty high. Needless to say, I don't think the FP+ helped the lines at all. As a matter of fact I think it made it worse that day. Lines to get into the FP lines began to form - to the point where people walked away... There are real concerns with the system.

I posted some of my issues - linking APs and tickets was a fiasco. 3 out of our 4 MBs wouldn't open our resort door. Trouble getting into the parks with our APs after linking to MB. You name it. Not to mention the whole MB thing is just awkward. And the App is cumbersome to work with in the parks.

TheRustyScupper answered for me. That "doo doo" that the whole MB/FP+ is in right now.

We also tested the first week of November when we were there. Liked some aspects of it, others were glitchy and buggy at best. Jersey week was also going on while we were down there and we visited MK on a Sunday when the crowd level was pretty high. Needless to say, I don't think the FP+ helped the lines at all. As a matter of fact I think it made it worse that day. Lines to get into the FP lines began to form - to the point where people walked away... There are real concerns with the system.

I posted some of my issues - linking APs and tickets was a fiasco. 3 out of our 4 MBs wouldn't open our resort door. Trouble getting into the parks with our APs after linking to MB. You name it. Not to mention the whole MB thing is just awkward. And the App is cumbersome to work with in the parks.

I hear what you're saying...

But as I have stated 100 times around here... Disney is incredibly bad and wasteful when it comes to technology...most especially computer.

That they work at all at this point is a minor miracle.

They got windows in 2004... No joke

I'd really like to see an answer to what happened to Miyuki! I've googled her but didn't see anything other than the fact that she no longer hands out her candy creations. I really hope she's not gone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter