Disney Kids Clubs

crewsn

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I am new to cruising. So I am trying to absorb and learn everything I can right now. I have been interested in taking a Disney Cruise for some time, however we have been traveling to Walt Disney World instead to satisfy our thirst until our youngest is 3 to be able to participate in the kids clubs.

Though even looking over the website and trying to search different threads I still have some questions.

Looking at many of the pictures the kids clubs basically look like they are mostly rooms with screens. Computer games, movies, etc. Is there really more beyond this?

I ask as while my older son would love this. If I leave him there I know that is all he would do and is a very hyperactive child who needs to get his energy out. Just wondering what more there was to these.

Second, while my youngest will be 3 I know he may still need to nap occasionally. Do they spaces where the children this age can nap. Can you request to have him lie down in the nursery or is this not permitted?

Just the more research I do I still want to make sure cruising is the best fit for us right now or we should wait one more year.

We do plan to probably take a shorter, maybe 5 nights cruise, to try it out the first time.

TIA.

I do think a shorter cruise to test the waters is the best idea. Your three year old can go into the kids clubs or the nursery, the nursery is about $9. The nursery does have cribs for the little ones to sleep I didn't see any in the kids clubs. And if you check out some personal navigators from previous cruises you can see what kind of activities they have at the clubs as well ( disneycruiselineblog.com ) I also recommend ordering the free vacation planning DVD from disneycruise.com lots of good information. Happy planning. :simba:

There is so much to do in the clubs. Whilst my 7yo loves playing with screens, she does hardly any at the clubs.

They run activities all through the day and night - Toy Story Boot Camp, Pluto's Pyjama Party, Cinderella's Royal Ball, and so many more. There are drawing stations, things like cooking sessions, and it goes on. They also have big spaces for the kids to just run around together - the kids make friends and play soccer or have an impromptu dance party etc.

Having said that, they won't force your child to participate. So if he says no and wants to stay playing on the games, he can. The games in the Club / Lab seem more geared to younger kids to me, and I don't think many kids spend hours on them. I think it's different in Edge (although we don't have a child that age yet).

The nursery is $9 per hour or part of, and they have cots for the kids to nap in. I have also seen lots of kids (including my own) napping in beanbags in front of the TV in the club while everything else goes on around them.

Looking at many of the pictures the kids clubs basically look like they are mostly rooms with screens. Computer games, movies, etc.

I smirked at that, because it's so true. And after DS got over the plainer look of the Royal Caribbean kid's club, he realized that he actually has more fun on Royal because the kids are DOING things, not just *playing* things. We had to start having him go to the Disney club specifically when there were fun activities, because otherwise he would get involved in one of the screens and then MISS what he wanted to do. So we take him about 5 minutes before the start of an activity.

If I leave him there I know that is all he would do and is a very hyperactive child who needs to get his energy out.

Does he dance? They do have the fun dance floor in Lab. :)

One potential concern with a three year old is that the age range in the club is so wide. And honestly I don't think the kids are watched all that closely. I waited until mine were 6,4,4 in January to go back to Disney (on the Magic). Even so, one of my daughters came back with a huge knot/scratch on her forehead. She said an older child (accidentally) knocked her down. I asked if the staff helped her (they didn't mention it to us). She said her brother (6 year old with autism) helped her because he saw her on the floor crying.

On our sailing last month on the Fantasy, our kids came back and reported that a staff member said, "Everyone who farted today, go wash your hands. Everyone who picked their nose, go wash your hands." It was supposed to be a fun way to get the kids to wash their hands but I didn't really care for the language around my 6,5,5 year olds. They still have trouble differentiating between okay language and "grown up" language. And it seemed a bit "un-Disney" like and crass, as well.

Clearly none of these things has stopped us from booking and using the kids clubs but a parent may want to keep in mind it's not like the insular, highly supervised preschool you may be used to at home. I'm more comfortable because I have three together. I'd be more hesitant with one young child alone - even though mine do tend to go their separate ways.

As for activities, my son on the spectrum is usually glued to a screen as he tends to hyper focus. One of my daughters spends most of her time in the drawing/craft activities. My other daughter is usually singing or dancing or making new friends. I do like the variety of activities but wish the ages were a little more divided.

Overall I like the clubs. I think it depends on the child. And my kids did like the club on the Magic better than the Fantasy. And the staff was much friendlier on the Magic. But it kind of makes sense that the smaller ship might be a bit less busy/chaotic. We'll keep using the clubs either way.

DD was 4 last cruise on the Magic and once she figured out all she had to do was walk up to someone in a yellow shirt and say play "fill in the blank" with me and they would...she was in heaven. Never wanted to leave.

Hi,

I am new to cruising. So I am trying to absorb and learn everything I can right now. I have been interested in taking a Disney Cruise for some time, however we have been traveling to Walt Disney World instead to satisfy our thirst until our youngest is 3 to be able to participate in the kids clubs.

Though even looking over the website and trying to search different threads I still have some questions.

Looking at many of the pictures the kids clubs basically look like they are mostly rooms with screens. Computer games, movies, etc. Is there really more beyond this?

I ask as while my older son would love this. If I leave him there I know that is all he would do and is a very hyperactive child who needs to get his energy out. Just wondering what more there was to these.

Second, while my youngest will be 3 I know he may still need to nap occasionally. Do they spaces where the children this age can nap. Can you request to have him lie down in the nursery or is this not permitted?

Just the more research I do I still want to make sure cruising is the best fit for us right now or we should wait one more year.

We do plan to probably take a shorter, maybe 5 nights cruise, to try it out the first time.

TIA.

Hi! I am a Youth Activies Counselor. Please feel free to PM me any questions or concerns you have :)

I have yet to leave my DS in the kids club since I knew that they don't keep the age groups separate therefore there are 12 year olds in there with three year olds and that is a huge age difference. And my number one concern was that my DS now 4 could be knocked down by older kids playing. But I did feel much more comfortable leaving him in the nursery (Dream) He was 3 at the time and I knew they were keeping a close eye on him. And for some reason I feel like the kids club/lab have too many open house times and for long periods of time as well, another reason I didn't leave him there alone because you can leave your child during open house but they are in there along with a plethora of other people ranging in all ages. I am not sure as to how long you plan to leave your child(ren) in the clubs but there is always something going on that is fun for the whole family everywhere on the ships, so we spent most of our time together and especially on a shorter cruise with 1 or no sea days you will be busy most of the day as a family either at port or participating in other activities. When I did drop my DS off it was only for about an hour so we could enjoy the quiet cove pool but then we had to pick him up for some character meets, pictures, movies, or game shows. But I think you should be fine especially if there will be siblings around to keep an extra eye out as well.

We love the kids clubs! Our two youngests (girls) don't play the video games at all. They mostly love dancing, doing crafts, participating in the planned activities, etc. My son (10.5 last time we cruised) does enjoy the video games some, but he doesn't sit on them the entire time that he's in there. As others have said, we tend to bring them to the club/lab when there is something fun planned then they have a some free time after. I have never left them in the clubs all day, but they have been in there upward to 2.5 hours at a stretch while we had Palo brunch. They have loved the club/lab since they were 3! And having the three of them together always made me feel better because they do hang out together and it is a big age range. There are also climbing toys, a slide, etc. to keep them busy! There is not, however, a place for them to nap.

Last edited:
We cruised on the Fantasy last month. One reason we decided to go this year is that it is the only year that all three of our kids would be in the same "Club" age range (10, 7 and 4). I liked that especially for my four year old, her big brothers were close by. That being said, my hopes for a screen-free week were certainly dashed! My 10 year old is a video game nut, and even though we asked him to do other activities, I am pretty sure he spent 90% of his time on the video games. My seven year old would probably have done other things (and did spend some time drawing) but idolizes his older brother. There is honestly a very big difference between 4 year olds and 10 year olds, and I do feel most of the activities were more geared towards the younger set. My daughter listed to Tiana read stories, LOVED the dancing games, and dressing up. The only activity my oldest did was the science experiments and the Mario Kart tournament, and he whined that he was the only "big kid" there. By mid-week we resigned ourselves to the video games because they weren't there all that much and he got plenty of physical activity elsewhere. And we really wanted to go to Palo! : ) I really did love the club experience for my littler ones and the counselors were fantastic. Knew my kids all by name by the second or third day!

another reason I didn't leave him there alone because you can leave your child during open house but they are in there along with a plethora of other people ranging in all ages
Actually, when the Club (for example) goes to Open House status, all kids without a parent or guardian are moved to the secure Lab area for the duration. And vice versa. An unaccompanied child is not allowed in a Open House area without their own adult attendant.

Reading this has me concerned for my 3 and 4 year olds that we were planning on using the kids club for. Are they looked after or left to run free with minimal supervision?

Reading this has me concerned for my 3 and 4 year olds that we were planning on using the kids club for. Are they looked after or left to run free with minimal supervision?
This was our experience. They did have some activities but my kids never seemed to participate in them. One of ours loved it, one not so much. Just a personality thing.

another reason I didn't leave him there alone because you can leave your child during open house but they are in there along with a plethora of other people ranging in all ages.

I'm going to echo princessshmoo here. They won't combine the open house side and the secured programming sides. If it's OH there will be NO kids without their guardians in that area.

There is honestly a very big difference between 4 year olds and 10 year olds, and I do feel most of the activities were more geared towards the younger set. My daughter listed to Tiana read stories, LOVED the dancing games, and dressing up.

Did he stay mainly on the Club side? My son sticks mainly to the Lab side (on Dream) and has never encountered stories (or a character like Tiana), doesn't go *near* the dressup area, and the dancing he does during activities hasn't been described by him to be a game, but a fun activity. (could be "tomaato tomahto" there) He DID feel that the counselors talked down to the older kids during the volcano experiment in Super Sloppy Science, but hasn't mentioned that for the other SSS activities he's been a part of. But, again, he sticks to the Lab side.

DD was 4 on our last cruise, and I didn't observe much mixing between age groups at all. The older kids have no interest in playing with the younger kiddos. She spent most of the time doing planned group activities or playing with CMs. Now at 3 she didn't care for the club at all. But at 4 I had to make her leave at 11pm!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter