• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney is no place for kids...

corkery719

Mouseketeer
Okay flame me now...but I had the most enjoyable time going...without kids. My youngest DD is now 15 and a total joy to go with. I had the time of my life. Anyone else feel that this is a good time to go, or am I really that heartless? ( I Know I am not )

I enjoy being able to do what I want/when I want and how I want,without a big group. SOLO was best, but my DD can totally get me and go off on her own if she so chooses,which wasn;t for long or very far, we have a great time.I do not get my eyes off of her much, but we have a THING, we know if the other is uncomfortable, and has so far never happened to us in "the world".

Do not get this wrong, but i have seen many children who should be at home or in bed, is it just me? Do you ever want to tell them to take them to them "home" for the night? I had my time with this, and Now I am old enough to stay out, without all of the meltdown.Sorry, stepping off soapbox now... that would be really funny to most of you... I am 4'10". LMAO

DH and I are taking our 3rd trip without the kids next week. The kids said we're never allowed to go without them again, so we told them we were going to Chicago! Luckily Granny agreed to watch them and cover for us. Our family vacations are great, but we really enjoy going to Disney together for our "date night" time.

I can totally see where you are coming from because many a time when we have been in Disney with our 2 kids and one of them starts whining about something it seems like a wonderful idea to go there just DH and I. However, I honestly think if I were there without them I would feel sad. For me- Disney is the best vacation spot for families. If DH and I are going to do a trip alone I think I would make it one that is more adult oriented like a vacation to an island or something where we can just sit on the beach with a drink and relax. For us- Disney is all about taking our kids and watching them enjoy themselves as much as we do... but I can completely see your point.

While I love to see my kids reactions to WDW(there's really nothing like seeing the magic thru the eyes of a kid) I love solo trips the best and my favorite reply to people asking me why I would go there without kids is your title-
"Disney is no place for kids!" :rotfl2:

For the other 50 something weeks of the year, I am ALL about my kids and husband. For 1 week it is all about me. I cannot sleep in, I WILL RUN AND RUN!!!!!!!!! Work hard and play HARDER!:cool1:

Without a doubt Disneyworld can be and is a great and fun place to visit without kids. We do it all the time!

DH and I are taking our 3rd trip without the kids next week. The kids said we're never allowed to go without them again, so we told them we were going to Chicago! Luckily Granny agreed to watch them and cover for us. Our family vacations are great, but we really enjoy going to Disney together for our "date night" time.

LOL, we love it! :rotfl2: Good for you!!! :thumbsup2

We take our family of grown kids to WDW in January and supply free room and board in a 6 bedroom pool home, but when it comes to days in the parks, they are on their own. DW and I got tired of wasting time as a group, indecision and waiting for others to catch up after restroom breaks. Instead she and I are there for rope drop, almost never wait in a line, take a mid-day break back at our pool and meet up with the kids somewhere for dinner.

When grand kids arrive they will be invited to join us after their 5th birthday.

Have fun in "Chicago"!

Who could flame you for such a wonderful idea. The DW and I are going for the first time with the DD and DS (but as adults, with their spouses), and we can't wait. All of the last 6 times have been with miniature people and while that is fun, some of our best memories are when we have been alone, wandering and wondering as adults.

DH and I could do a Disney commercial for adults!! The kids go to college and we take off for WDW every September!!! We had our time with them in WDW for many years....now it's our time!

I've been to WDW more times without children than with. I admit, I don't have any of my own, and might feel differently than I do if I went with my own children.

Other than with friends and their children, I have only been to WDW with one other adult (many times). Well once with two adults. I found I enjoyed those trips more than the ones with children. I'll see in January how I feel about going solo.

Like a PP said, I like to go for rope drop, take an afternoon break, go have dinner then go to another park afterwards. The kids just couldn't keep up! It took a long time to get out the door in the morning, they wanted to go on certain attractions again and again, and wouldn't have really enjoyed the signature dining that I like.

Then there was the time when one of the girls got her hair stuck in the misting fan - that was a trauma. And the two times I was up at the crack of dawn to book CRT for the girls only to have them get all shy and clam up when we were there. Kind of disappointing when you go through all that effort.

No need to feel badly. Go and enjoy yourself! I plan on taking time to "smell the roses" and see all the entertainment that we usually breeze by when I'm with a group.

my husband and i took a trip to asmusic alone around 3 or 4 summers ago. we still had fun. i do miss though when the kids were younger.........BUt now we cant wait to take the Grand Kids.... hes 3 ish and a new baby........so pretty soon....my dh cant wait...haha

I do not have any children, but have been to WDW with other family members. I have a great time with them.

Saying that, however, I LOVE going solo to WDW!!!!! There is nothing like the freedom of doing what you want, when you want. Eating where & when you want. Doing an attraction 20 times or skipping it completely. Knowing that the only person you have to make happy on this trip is you.

Now I have heard "won't you be lonely?" or "WDW is for Kids" or "Why would you go alone?" or one of the best one's I've heard is "Going & doing what you want sounds awfully selfish" and so on. My answer to these remarks is always "no I won't be lonely" "No it's not just for kids" "no it's not selfish. When was the last time you only had yourself to please on a vacation? When have you been away and been able to do what you want, when you want? When have you been on vacation knowing that the only one you have to worry about having a good time is yourself?" Those make people stop & think pretty quick.

Do not get this wrong, but i have seen many children who should be at home or in bed, is it just me? Do you ever want to tell them to take them to them "home" for the night?

During my trips, many times at night, I see exhausted children at night. :confused3 I also wonder the same thing.

I enjoy being able to do what I want/when I want and how I want,without a big group. SOLO was best...

Amen! :thumbsup2

I love solo trips the best and my favorite reply to people asking me why I would go there without kids is your title-
"Disney is no place for kids!" :rotfl2:

I'm sooo going to use that next time. :rotfl:

Saying that, however, I LOVE going solo to WDW!!!!! There is nothing like the freedom of doing what you want, when you want. Eating where & when you want. Doing an attraction 20 times or skipping it completely. Knowing that the only person you have to make happy on this trip is you.

Now I have heard "won't you be lonely?" or "WDW is for Kids" or "Why would you go alone?" or one of the best one's I've heard is "Going & doing what you want sounds awfully selfish" and so on. My answer to these remarks is always "no I won't be lonely" "No it's not just for kids" "no it's not selfish. When was the last time you only had yourself to please on a vacation? When have you been away and been able to do what you want, when you want? When have you been on vacation knowing that the only one you have to worry about having a good time is yourself?" Those make people stop & think pretty quick.

Double Amen and a Hallejuah! :thumbsup2

Hmmmm, still not sure about totally solo trips but love going as a solo adult and meeting my various DIS friends at Disney. Every August I take my VERY BUSY teen to WDW (his request, he is a big disney fan). This past July/August I took him and his friend. . .his friend is NOT an early riser and my son likes to go to rope drop. Many days he would wake with me and we would get ready but his friend was still sleeping. . .I would go to rope drop and do my thing. I would go back to the hotel and his friend would still be there, just starting to get ready. I felt bad for my son. Just yesterday my son confided that he wished he had not brought his friend cause he LOVES doing disney with mom. My son has been "doing disney" since he was 3. . .mostly at Disneyland, but now at 16, we are mostly at the world. As far as kids are concerned, I love my adult trips to WDW, but there is nothing like doing Disney with my 16 year old. . .but then again, you would have to know my kid to understand. . .

I love that some of you really enjoy Disney with your teens. I'm 22 now and have only ever been to Disney with my mom. I'm the youngest of 3 and we went twice when I was younger, 8 or 9 I think; and I have no idea how she did it. We've been 5 times since the summer of 2007, a couple of times with my older sister along, and can't get enough! We like to observe people with kids, and love watching the kids interact with characters (this is the main reason we do character meals) but we're also really glad to walk away from them the minute they start to get fussy.

We have a trip planned for October and I can't wait to go just the two of us again!!:woohoo:

Noooooo flaming!!! I love going with no kids!! I love my kid, but I love my adult trips too! :goodvibes

Me too! It is great with just DW and I and without the whining 16 year old telling me how bored he is with us.

I thought I would feel bad going to Disney on my own. I had a conference to go to in Orlando and was able to add on a few days and "do Disney".It was wonderful. I soothed my guilty conscience by knowing that we had a family trip scheduled a few months later. I did what I wanted when I wanted and didn't have to do something I didn't want to just because the kids wanted to - it was great! Then that fall when we all went, I didn't mind doing all "their stuff" because I had already done all mine. The next spring my annual pass was about to expire so I told my hubby I better go back and use it before it ran out, and he said "ok" So, before he changed his mind I checked flights and went back for a second solo trip. Haven't done it since, but in Nov the 2 of us are going by ourselves, and in Dec we are going with another couple - no kids either trip! Can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter