• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney is first and foremost about kids...

I think that Disney is aiming their things at children and at the moms of those children. While they were once much more of a Family kind of place, they become more and more about kids - young kids - all the time.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with adults who enjoy WDW - I am certainly included in that group! I could be the President of that group, lol.

But I do think that each and every year finds Disney catering more toward young children.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think I'd ever go to Disney as an adult with no kids. Don't get me wrong, I love taking my family and seeing the magic through their eyes. But when I see adults there on their own while I don't judge them, I do genuinely wonder why they come. Sure, it's fun and all, but if I was traveling without kids there's so many other options. Standing in line to greet a sweaty person in a costume when I could be relaxing on a Caribbean beach or strolling the markets of Provence? :confused3But, hey, I don't see the point of boxing matches or country music concerts either but if that's your thing I would never say you shouldn't go

You have to view Disney without the "theme park" shades on. As an adult without kids, my boyfriend and I are going to have a blast at WDW and DL, but you know there is a lot to do OUTSIDE of the parks as well as IN the parks. Adults take advantage of this, ala Victoria and Albert's, Spa, Trails, Run Disney events, Food and Wine festivals, taking a cruise, etc etc etc. Going in the parks are part of the adventure, but is not THE ONLY part of the adventure and hey, I can do all that other stuff along with Disney stuff, like concerts or museums, yadda yadda. I mean I'll go to other theme park destinations as well, I like all that fun stuff and can do that as well as walk the markets of whatever country or walk the beaches at sunset etc.

When we do visit, we probably will not be in the parks for the first two days anyhow as we have other things we want to do outside of the parks, plus we want to participate in Run Disney, so saving up our energy will be key for us. I also am NOT standing in any character lines (unless short via the marathon runs we hope to do) and would opt to do character dining for breakfast to have a little bit of fun. Yeah as an adult we know they are just people in costumes, but you know when I see Goofy my eyes just light up. I can't help it! Heh! For me Disney is romantic as well...it is what you make of it, in my opinion...

My issue is those who think WDW is only about the kids. When I spend thousands to take my 1 hard earned vacation a year, no, I'm not going to give up my spot because you were to busy to arrive early and wait an hour like I did even though you claim it means so much to your child. Sorry, got carried away.:rotfl2:

I agree with this. As an AP holder I go to WDW 4-6 times a year. I may take one of my grandkids with me, or my elderly mom, sometimes I go solo and sometimes my husband and I go together (he is not as big a WDW fan as I am, so will only go once or twice a year). However, I work in a high stress job and need my WDW trips to decompress and relax every few months. I don't know how many times, I have found the perfect parade spot so that I can get good pictures with both the castle and the floats in them, just to have some parent push their kids in front of me at the last minute and then grin and say "I know you won't mind, since WDW is for the kids after all".:mad: Actually I don't mind if it's just the kids they push up there, but invariably it's the parents themselves that then push themselves up there too, with the excuse that they have to see their kids faces when they see the parade and since I am by myself they know I won't care.:headache: At that point is when I say, 'yes I do care. Your child is welcome to stand in front where he can see, but I will not give up the place I've been reserving for the last hour, just so you can see. You should have got here an hour ago, like I did.'

Back when Tusker House used to be a CS restaurant, I was solo and finally found an open table for four in the back, so walked to it and was standing there taking my food off the tray. Just as I finished and was about to sit down, some lady suddenly rammed the back of my legs with her stroller and loudly demanded I give the table to her because she had kids and needed the table. I told her she better not try to hit me again unless she wanted that stroller around her head and motioning with my arm, asked her exactly where she wanted me to sit as all the tables were full and I'd gotten there well before her. Perfectly serious she said, that since I was by myself that I could just take my food outside and eat sitting on the wall, but she had to have that table for her family. When I laughed at her and told her it wasn't happening, she threatened to get a CM to make me move. I told her to go ahead and try, everyone saw that I was at that table unloading my food, before she even walked up. About that time, I saw an elderly couple walking by looking for a table and asked them if they'd like to share my table. They took me up on my offer and the other lady stalked off, after making a comment about people without kids shouldn't even be at WDW, since WDW was just for the kids.:rolleyes1

I don't normally wait in lines to take character pictures, but one afternoon when I was leaving MK, they had Clarabelle the Cow out. It was the first time I'd ever seen her out, so I got in line to grab a picture. Right after I got in line, the handler said that she'd be going in, in five minutes and I'd be the last person she saw. A family just walking up, stepped in front of me and when I asked what they thought they were doing, they laughed and said they knew I wouldn't mind if they cut in front of me, since otherwise their child would not be able to get a picture with Clarabelle. When I said it wasn't happening they got mad and called me a b--ch and said WDW was for the kids and they couldn't believe I wouldn't give up my spot for them. Heck, that kid didn't even know who Clarabelle was and didn't even want to be in line. She was whining to go ride a ride.

I love watching the kids enjoying WDW. I do not enjoy their pushy, obnoxious parents that think their little snowflakes should get priority over everyone else. I don't like parents who let their kids run wild disturbing other guests' vacations and then use the excuse that kids will be kids and WDW is for the kids afterall, so it's OK to let them run wild. I take my GKs down there. We have a great time, but no way would I let them disturb other guests or expect other guests to let them cut in front of them.

We all pay good money and deserve to enjoy our vacations. The 70 y/o has just as much right to be there as the 7 y/o. My parents never took vacations, so my mom never got to go to WDW (or anywhere else, except to see family), until I took her after we had to put my dad in the nursing home a few years ago. She was like 74 y/o her very first trip and my favorite picture of that trip was her on Dumbo grinning from ear to ear. Yeah, to get that picture we took up two Dumbos (me in front and her in an elephant just behind me). But we had just as much right to stand in that line as any 7 y/o. I've read posts on here about how adults shouldn't be allowed in the Dumbo line without a kid, because it loads so slow and their kids shouldn't have to wait too long. Sorry, don't agree! I had that picture blown up into a 5"x7" and it still sits on a shelf in my computer room. Out of all the pictures I have taken at WDW I treasure that one the most. That 74 y/o grinning from ear to ear, loved riding Dumbo for the first time just as much as any kid there and probably appreciated it more as it took her 74 years to get there.

^^ Awesome post!

I have family who uses their kids, all the time, to excuse their selfish and bad behavior. We know better than to go to Disney with them...they have this opinion that if you are with them then you are to watch their kids while they entertain themselves and ignore you and their children. Or they demand we reschedule our lives for them, only they use their kids as the excuse. Oh lordy the stories I could tell...I'm getting all annoyed just thinking about them lol.

We stand up for ourselves and say NO WAY! lol I am not a doormat for others to stomp on!

I agree that Disney is for everyone, but going to WDW and complaining about all the kids would be like going to the beach and complaining about the sand. Everybody who goes to Disney has their own reasons, none of which are my business. If you want to be in the front row of a parade, get there first. If you want a romantic dinner at a WDW restaurant, recognize there will be kids around. If there aren't enough tables and there are empty seats at my table, pull up a chair and join us. You enjoy your day, I'll enjoy mine. If I'm doing something that you feel detracts from your enjoyment of the park, simply let me know, I probably didn't realize it.
My DW and I often talk about some day in the future where we can return to WDW without the kids, sit at a table with a cup of coffee for hours, and watch the families go by with their strollers, kids dressed as pirates and princesses, $9 ice cream dropping on the ground, children in thermal meltdown mode, angry dad/mom, and all of the other things that we experienced.

That statement is usually used either by those who adamantly dislike WDW or parents of younger kids who are arguing against attractions geared towards th older crowd. For example, when I say that WDW needs more thrill rides, usually I hear "oh they have enough; I want more dark rides. Anyways, Disney's about kids not adults/teens." If Disney wants to "grow" and be a viable competitor, they need to design attractions for all audiences.

WDW did previously have a much more adult vibe and many more adult offerings. Pleasure Island is a prominent more recent example - but in the past it was marketed as a place for adults with adult sensibilities. A "resort" not just a place with theme parks. There used to be a heavu emphasis on the boating, spas, fishing, hiking trails, conference amenities, etc.. Really the whole "mom blogger" and "special touring guides for those with preschoolers" did nothing to help this as there's no differentiation between them and Disney's typical marketing and advertising at this point. It makes it look like it's all Mommy Bloggers all the time - from the fonts chosen to the photos used on guidemaps.

Does it annoy you simply that others feel this way or is it more because people may appear to be judging you for enjoying Disney as an adult/without the kids/etc.?

I don't mind that other people don't enjoy Disney as adults. (Hey, more room for the rest of us!) And when we took DS4 to WDW for the first time, we did make it all about him...we knew we would enjoy everything he wanted to do, and there was no sense in pushing him to total exhaustion/crank-pants time just for the sake of doing MORE things that we had already done on previous kid-free trips. It was totally magical, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. However, I have been to Disney more time as an adult than I ever went as a kid, so I'm definitely in the "Disney is fun for all ages" camp! And it *is* annoying if someone makes snide comments to you about something you enjoy just because they don't share your feelings, so I can understand that.

I'm not annoyed that others feel this way. I'm annoyed when other people think I or other Disney fans who are adults should feel the same way.

Our next trip will, for me, be all about Boo. (She's 7 and never been.)

Kids of all ages for sure. That said, I don't get people who are easily annoyed by kids heading to Disney. Hubs and I honeymooned there, and have done DL without kiddos, too so I totally see the appeal for a childless visit. However, I've had coworkers grouse about all the kids they encountered on their trip. Not sure what they expected...:confused3

Yes, that is odd, too.

Weird, I've never heard anyone say anything remotely close to "Disney is first and foremost about kids"... Seriously.

I do hear alot about it being a great family destination, but that's about it.

Honestly, this seems like much ado about nothing. :confused3:confused3:confused3

Dan

I don't know that I thought it was "much ado." I was simply expressing an opinion based on some recent experiences. Honestly.

I think that Disney is aiming their things at children and at the moms of those children. While they were once much more of a Family kind of place, they become more and more about kids - young kids - all the time.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with adults who enjoy WDW - I am certainly included in that group! I could be the President of that group, lol.

But I do think that each and every year finds Disney catering more toward young children.

Maybe with the Star Wars addition and Avatar (not that it speaks to me personally) they will begin marketing to adults?

And I'll be your vice-president!

Maybe with the Star Wars addition and Avatar (not that it speaks to me personally) they will begin marketing to adults?

And I'll be your vice-president!

No, there will be some brat in a Cinderella frock seen running amid the AVATAR or Star Wars stuff with pixie dust trailing her, curly fonts, castle looming in the background in powder blue sky.. and some cliche line about "She'll only have ONE first trip to another planet! Believe to remember the magic and wishes! Memories!"

It'll be that trite, I guarantee you.

I don't know that I thought it was "much ado." I was simply expressing an opinion based on some recent experiences. Honestly.

Well, maybe I don't hear it at all because we've only ever gone as a family with our three kids, so there is no reason for anyone to say something like "You're going to Disney without kids?" ...or, "Why are you going there?" (as if there are more appropriate places for adults to vacation)

Dan

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think I'd ever go to Disney as an adult with no kids. Don't get me wrong, I love taking my family and seeing the magic through their eyes. But when I see adults there on their own while I don't judge them, I do genuinely wonder why they come. Sure, it's fun and all, but if I was traveling without kids there's so many other options. Standing in line to greet a sweaty person in a costume when I could be relaxing on a Caribbean beach or strolling the markets of Provence? :confused3But, hey, I don't see the point of boxing matches or country music concerts either but if that's your thing I would never say you shouldn't go.

One thing that I do object to, though, is any sort of "adult" behavior at Disney that detracts from the wholesome family atmosphere of Disney. If you want to get tipsy, use foul language, make out with your partner etc, then you should go to Vegas and have a "real" adult holiday. And you should expect strollers, energetic kids, excited teenagers, and lots of chaos that comes with vacationing families.

So, I have to agree with those who've said that Disney is for kids of all ages. I just have slightly higher standards for the behavior of the adult kids.

I agree with this. We have a trip planned for this fall and I'm excited about it but if we didn't have a 5 year old, my husband and I would be going somewhere else for vacation (we also have a daughter in college who won't be going with us this trip). The magic of WDW for me is watching the joy and wonder on the faces of my children. That is the best part for me and always will be. I understand that others feel differently and I respect that. I do, however, wonder about those who wish to treat the destination as an adult destination. It's not. As the previous poster stated, it's a place for "kids of all ages" so I think it's completely unreasonable not to expect just that. Again as the previous poster said, this means you have to expect the strollers and the excited kids, the teens, and the behaviors that are a part of all that. If you want a kid free vacation spot, there are tons of other places.

And I know this is going to be terribly unpopular but I'll say it anyway. I don't understand adults standing in line to see characters. My daughter doesn't know they are college kids in costumes but I do and I really don't have a need to "meet" them or to get an "autograph". Again, I know many here will disagree and that's fine with me. Everyone is free to do as they please. I just don't understand what's so great about it for adults that they will wait in lines to do it. A quick picture at a meal or something as a fun souvenir picture, sure, but standing in lines, I don't get it. Nonetheless, I respect anyone's right to do it and would never expect my child to have preference to see the characters. It does puzzle me though.

And I know this is going to be terribly unpopular but I'll say it anyway. I don't understand adults standing in line to see characters. My daughter doesn't know they are college kids in costumes but I do and I really don't have a need to "meet" them or to get an "autograph". Again, I know many here will disagree and that's fine with me. Everyone is free to do as they please. I just don't understand what's so great about it for adults that they will wait in lines to do it. A quick picture at a meal or something as a fun souvenir picture, sure, but standing in lines, I don't get it. Nonetheless, I respect anyone's right to do it and would never expect my child to have preference to see the characters. It does puzzle me though.

I bet Comic Con and Cosplay or zombie walks are really puzzling then. ;) Hehehe. Just sayin'! :yay:

I don't get the people who are appalled at seeing the wee little ones running around WDW, but I also don't get the people who can't understand why adults venture to WDW and DL. I mean people get married and honeymoon with Disney...which really sums it up I think.

As for standing in line to see characters, as I said before, I wouldn't unless there was no line really or I really wanted a picture when I do the marathon goal/run. I mean come on....I'm going to be running with a Minnie Mouse skirt, ears, and such so I can take a moment to celebrate with a Disney character. lol... Taking a moment or two to be silly is important in life, so I can understand if someone wants to meet and greet a character/actor. I mean what's life without a little whimsy? LOL In one video I saw people getting pixie dust sprinkled on them during the expo before the Run Disney events lol. Would everyone line up for that? I doubt it, but hey why not! Hehe.

Still, I feel that everyone has their point of view, which isn't right or wrong or in between. Just how people feel so I don't feel that expressing a point of view makes that point of view automatically unpopular (hopefully that makes sense). If someone only is going to Disney for their kids or family, hey more power to them! Still fun and wonderful memories! :D

I agree with this! Even now that I have a baby, I still feel a bit odd waiting in line to see characters. I took her to see Mickey last month and felt nervous waiting in the line because it seemed a little awkward to be interacting with a person in a costume for the sake of my 8 month old daughter who wasn't paying attention anyways. But, that's probably my own personal problem :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter