Disney insists new theme park will be fun

Tannerman

Mouseketeer
I just cracked up when I read this headline. You can't make up stuff better than that.
Disney insists new theme park will be fun

Disney on Monday dismissed claims that its new Hong Kong theme park will only have enough activities to keep visitors occupied for four hours, saying it will offer a full day of fun.

The company described as "unfounded" a report in the satirical Hong Kong magazine Spike, which said there are concerns over the park having only one major ride.

The magazine quoted a source close to the project saying that the park -- due to open in late 2005 or early 2006 -- will be able to supply "no more than four hours of activity" for visitors.

The report said Disney executives fear a lack of success at the Hong Kong park will damage its reputation and jeopardise its prospects for expansion into mainland China.
Full story

What attractions did Magic Kingdom at WDW have on opening day back in 1971?

I saw a listing last month, I think it was in the One Man's Dream exhibit at MGM Studios, but I didn't copy down all the details. The attractions were a small subset of what MK has now and I had the same thought as the originator of this thread, did MK back then have a whole day's worth of entertainment?

Give Hong Kong Disney a chance ... to grow.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

OK, don't shoot me if I made an error, but I believe the following opened on Oct 1, 1971:

Cinderella's Carrousel
Country Bear Jamboree
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
Diamond Horseshoe Revue
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Enchanted Tiki Room
Frontierland Shooting Gallery
Hall of Presidents
Haunted Mansion
It's A Small World
Jungle Cruise
Liberty Square Riverboat
Mad Tea Party
Main Street Vehicles
Mickey Mouse Revue
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Peter Pan's Flight
Skyway
Snow White's Adventures
Swiss Family Treehouse
Walt Disney World Railroad

These two opened the next month
Circle-Vision - America The Beautiful
Flight to the Moon

and, If You Had Wings opened a couple of months later.

Most Recent info on Hong Kong shows:
Space Mountain
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
Jungle Cruise
Mad Tea Party
Carousel
Tarzan’s Treehouse
Festival of the Lion King
Disneyland Railroad
Astro Orbiter

And does anyone but me find it disturbing that they're promoting the landscaping as one of the attractions?

Sarangel

Thanks for the list Greg!!

Sure brings back memories!! And don't forget, we also have to add to list that Disney, for the first time in their history, built two WONDERFUL resorts, a campground, drained one lake and cleaned it, built a second lake, constructed golf courses and a shopping village (and I'm probably forgetting some things!!).

Yeah boy!! That sure compares!!!! Just give them a chance and maybe by the year 2424 (like in that lame song) we'll see it built up to where it's supposed to be. MAYBE!!!!

And does anyone but me find it disturbing that they're promoting the landscaping as one of the attractions?
Would anyone be surprised if I said- I DO!!!!

Originally posted by JIMINOCCHIO
Why couldn't everyone have this attitude about DCA? It's growing into quite a fun park.
DCA? Growing? How do you figure that? They've added 1 attraction since opening (ToT) , alonmg with some cheap fairground kiddy rides (BL, though I admit the theming was well done in some of this land). However, they matched that by closing 1 attraction (Superstar Limo) and cutting the capacity of California Screaming by half. Add to that all the closed restaurants and stores (too many to mention), and there is no way to say this underconceived and under built park is growing. It may have actually shrunk!

Hopefully HK Disneyland will be the last park built with the failed model of start small and maybe someday build out (HKDL, DAK, DCA, DSP). They need to look at TDS for guidance. That was the last Disney park built the right way and its a huge success.

Originally posted by Sarangel

Sarangel

That's one of the few things that Animal Kingdom has going for it, so I'm not surprised

I must say, I've never really noticed the landscaping at AK (except the orchids near the front). I usually focus more on the shows, the safari, and the rapids.

Sarangel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter