Disney in your Classroom

Sooze

DIS Veteran
Here's a thread for all of you teachers and homeschoolers that try to incorporate your love of Disney into the classroom.

Anyone want to share ideas? Bulletin Boards? Activities? Fun stories?!

I'll get things started. First of all.. here are some shots of some new things I put up in my classroom this year. I teach 3rd grade in Indianapolis.

Here is my 'helper' board:
IMG_1086.jpg

After I put it up, I realized I should've titled it "Handy Helpers" after the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse hands. Then I realized I teach 3rd graders, and they might be offended by the preschool reference!

Here is a writing prompt display I did:
IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

I used a calendar that showed Mickey doing lots of adventurous things. I left it up for a few weeks so the kids could ponder the possibilities. This week, I let them choose a picture or two and write about it. Very fun!

Here is my Eva and WallE that I made:
IMG_1104.jpg

I had the kids come up with a 'directive' for the year. A version of goal-setting, if you will.

And now, a fun activity idea! (I give Tim from Timandlesley credit for this, just FYI) One year, I went to Disney 3 times during the course of the school year. Each time, I'd bring back a little something for my students. I did the DVC stickers. I did hotel soaps and pens (THAT was a fun adventure). But I was running out of CHEAP ideas and I didn't want to bring my kids back the same thing. So, Tim came up with the idea of snagging maps from each theme park!!

When I returned, I was able to give each kid a map of all 4 parks. We then did map-reading activities with them. I even got some times guides to use.. we were able to do real-life math applications with them. (i.e. I arrive at AK at 3:00 pm. Do I have time to see Finding Nemo: The Musical AND Festival of the Lion King?) Good times!!

And finally, a fun story! I'm a pretty low-stress teacher. I enjoy a relaxed atmosphere with my students, but I set high expectations for their behavior and work ethic. SOMETIMES, though.. the noise level or stress level might get to me. When this happens, instead of yelling, I just stand really still, and close my eyes, and take deep breaths.

One time, one of my little darlings said, "You just went to Disney World... didn't you?!"
:lovestruc Of COURSE I did!! That's where I go EVERY time I'm stressed!!

Anyone care to join in on the thread?! I'd love to hear what you've got!
Thanks!
Susie

What great ideas Sooze!:thumbsup2 Your kids are really lucky to have such a creative and talented teacher. Your WALL-E and EVE look fabulous. My oldest daughter is going into 3rd grade this year. She would be in absolute heaven to be in your class.:cloud9:

My DH is a band director, but he's not one to "get it". Nothing Disney in his class. He just puts up with my obsession. Although, it probably wouldn't go over as well in middle school anyway.:rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear from some other teachers.

What great ideas Sooze!:thumbsup2 Your kids are really lucky to have such a creative and talented teacher. Your WALL-E and EVE look fabulous. My oldest daughter is going into 3rd grade this year. She would be in absolute heaven to be in your class.:cloud9:

My DH is a band director, but he's not one to "get it". Nothing Disney in his class. He just puts up with my obsession. Although, it probably wouldn't go over as well in middle school anyway.:rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear from some other teachers.

Thanks so much! My DH is a band director too!!! But he is JUST as obsessed as I am with Disney. Though he hasn't decorated his band room with it, his office is pretty maxed out!:thumbsup2

I just love the Mickey pictures and asking the kids to make up a story to go with them! What a great way to promote imagination and creativity. My cousin homeschools and I sent her a link to your pictures, she is always looking for imagination building things for her home classroom.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the story idea with the pictures! I'm going to have to try this one.

Ok, no pictures but here is what my gifted kids in 4th grade are doing. . .

I gave them $5000 in play money to go on vacation to Disney for 6 days/7 nights. The kids have to figure and pay gas from Tylertown, MS (about 100 miles east of New Orleans), hotel rooms, park tickets, meals (most are figuring using the meal plan) and such. They have to pick a location to stay on the way down and home. Then they are writing reports about visiting each park. When the whole thing is finished we will be searching the internet for pictures to add to their projects and compiling the entire project into powerpoint presentations. It's a great way for my kids to get into the experience of Disney. We live in a very low socioeconomic area and most of these kids will never get to go to Disney.

I'm an elementary music teacher and there's lots of Disney stuff in my class. Mostly in the form of music. :-) Our textbook series uses Disney stuff in all grade levels:

Heigh Ho
Supercali
Small World
Under the Sea
etc.....

When I teach recorder to 4th and 5th grade, we play Disney tunes!

I teach high school US history, and economics. I have used disney videos, johnny Treman, also The American legends video, that one show different folk stories like Johnny Appleseed, John Henry for US History I. But the best one is the Disney on the Front lines (WWII), it is great to show different propaganda pieces, like Der Fuher's Face. The reaction I get from students when they see Donald Duck in Naziland is great. They cannot believe that Disney did those types of cartoons. Also my first year of teaching economics, right before a school vacation, I used Wall-e and the students had to describe and explain economic concepts that were used in the movie. So it is not just for elementary school.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the story idea with the pictures! I'm going to have to try this one.

Ok, no pictures but here is what my gifted kids in 4th grade are doing. . .

I gave them $5000 in play money to go on vacation to Disney for 6 days/7 nights. The kids have to figure and pay gas from Tylertown, MS (about 100 miles east of New Orleans), hotel rooms, park tickets, meals (most are figuring using the meal plan) and such. They have to pick a location to stay on the way down and home. Then they are writing reports about visiting each park. When the whole thing is finished we will be searching the internet for pictures to add to their projects and compiling the entire project into powerpoint presentations. It's a great way for my kids to get into the experience of Disney. We live in a very low socioeconomic area and most of these kids will never get to go to Disney.

What a wonderful way to put Disney and real-life skills together! I bet the kids just LOVE it!!

I'm an elementary music teacher and there's lots of Disney stuff in my class. Mostly in the form of music. :-) Our textbook series uses Disney stuff in all grade levels:

Heigh Ho
Supercali
Small World
Under the Sea
etc.....

When I teach recorder to 4th and 5th grade, we play Disney tunes!

Sure wish MY music classes in elementary school did Disney stuff...of course, maybe we did. It was just SOOOOOO long ago, that I don't remember!:rolleyes1

This is a wonderful thread Sooze. I'm enjoying reading about all the different ideas. Great pictures.

I teach high school US history, and economics. I have used disney videos, johnny Treman, also The American legends video, that one show different folk stories like Johnny Appleseed, John Henry for US History I. But the best one is the Disney on the Front lines (WWII), it is great to show different propaganda pieces, like Der Fuher's Face. The reaction I get from students when they see Donald Duck in Naziland is great. They cannot believe that Disney did those types of cartoons. Also my first year of teaching economics, right before a school vacation, I used Wall-e and the students had to describe and explain economic concepts that were used in the movie. So it is not just for elementary school.

I have never heard of these videos! Where on Earth do you get them? I'm curious to see them... just for myself!

WallE could be such a great lesson in so many ways. Thanks for sharing your high school ideas!

This is a wonderful thread Sooze. I'm enjoying reading about all the different ideas. Great pictures.

Thanks, Aaron! Thought I'd stop by your neck of the DisWoods! Enjoy the thread... we'll see how long it lasts.

Amazing ideas, Sooze! I am known in my school as the "crazy Disney teacher." I don't really incorporate it into my lessons, but I do have a Mickey clock, wear Disney pins on my school lanyard, and wear my Mickey watch.

I teach an entire college course on WDW and Communication. Does that count?
I'll be bringing my class down (for the second year in a row) for a week in March for an immersive experience.

I had the Disney characters painted on my lockers when I taught first grade. The school willl be torn down after the new school is finished and I hope to be able to buy a few of them at auction.

I'm also the crazy Disney teacher. I incorporate it into a lot of things in my fifth grade reading class. I have tons of Disney snow globes, figurines, and plush all over the room. On top of my cabinets I have figurines that the kids have given me over the years. I'm hoping for them to eventually go all the way around the room.

Oh, Phineas & Ferb is going to be big this year. ;)

Not a teacher, but a public librarian, and I use Disney in my library, although a bit passively... During the summer I put up cover of all the books that I was reading to show the kids and adults WHAT I was reading and to be an example for them that adults DO read (we're not allowed to read on the job so all these were books I read at home/on off time). I included all my Disney planning books, as well as books that had Disney in them: Cory Doctorow's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, Unofficial Guide to Disney World, Realityland, and Kingdom Hearts....

During the school year, I put up the current book that I'm reading, which will include the Keeper Kingdom series when it comes in...

And for our family movie nights, we usually use Disney movies- this month we're showing Lilo and Stitch and using magic scratch surfboard bookmarks...
:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter