Disney in summer

abmitch01

DIS Veteran
I wa going to go on Feb break but the prices in August are half what we pay in Feb for lodging and a plane. Is it more crowded in August than in Feb break? Is it too hot to stand? I'm so excited because I have two weeks off in August and we could stay longer. tell me how you make out in August

We went one time in August and it was really hot and crowded! It is also hurricane season, but we have always been lucky and haven't had a hurricane during our trips.

We go the last week of August. It is hotter than the surface of the sun. Not kidding. We hit the parks at opening and leave around 3 to swim, shower, and eat dinner. We sometimes go back at night.

I find the crowds manageable, especially if you go early in the morning. Many people like to sleep in on vacation.

The upside is that I always lose weight during our Disney trip! Whether is from sweat or eating less because of the heat, it's nice to come back home a few pounds lighter:yay:

Look at my signature....we GO A LOT in the summer. IT works for us with the kid schedules. I am going to be HOT somewhere in the summer...my as well be Disney. :thumbsup2 YEP it's hot...but we go early, then leave after lunch..hit the pool or rest inside and go back for dinner or after dinner if we eat at a resort or DTD. I love DISNEY anytime of the year. :woohoo:

I really wish we could stand the Florida summer heat at a theme park, alas we can not..us Northerners are like Rudolph in Southtown:lmao:

Look at my signature....we GO A LOT in the summer. IT works for us with the kid schedules. I am going to be HOT somewhere in the summer...my as well be Disney. :thumbsup2 YEP it's hot...but we go early, then leave after lunch..hit the pool or rest inside and go back for dinner or after dinner if we eat at a resort or DTD. I love DISNEY anytime of the year. :woohoo:

That's what we would do if we were to go in August. Leave the parks after lunch then either go to the water parks or back to hotel to swim. OP, I hope you have a great time!

I'm from southern NH and have been in August twice. Honestly, I didn't think it was all that much worse than it was at home.

Like other posters we get up early and go to the parks for park opening. We stay until around 1 pm and then leave for lunch, swim, nap, etc. We go back at night most nights.

Having two weeks is great. I feel like we get a lot done, but don't feel like we have to rush to get everything in a week.

I'm from southern NH and have been in August twice. Honestly, I didn't think it was all that much worse than it was at home.
Like other posters we get up early and go to the parks for park opening. We stay until around 1 pm and then leave for lunch, swim, nap, etc. We go back at night most nights.

Having two weeks is great. I feel like we get a lot done, but don't feel like we have to rush to get everything in a week.

I agree with the bolded. Most of out trips were in August and in all honesty I would take the heat over the crowds of February break any day. Whenever I am asked this questions I always answer by saying that when I look back at all of my trips the heat is not something that I remember.

It really depends on your personal tolerance. I went to WDW one time in August and I could not tolerate the humidity. I began to feel sticky and sweaty as soon as I stepped out of the shower. Being in close proximity to other hot sweaty people in line and sitting on the hot outdoor rides was draining. I wouldn't do it again.

We went to New Orleans once in June and it was also hot and sticky. We went out as early as possible in the morning, collapsed in our lodging after lunch and went out a bit again in the evening. But that trip was not quite as unbearable as Disney in August because 1) we weren't standing around in the heat waiting in lines to go on rides and 2) because it wasn't Disney, we didn't feel that pressure to go go to and get as much done as possible, so it was pleasant to relax in the afternoons. At Disney, I just feel like I'm wasting my time by relaxing in the afternoons.

I took a 'me' trip in august two years ago and loved it. there were next to no crowds and I didn't understand why so I asked a cm. they said florida school starts in august so you lose the florida vacationers, their done.

not sure if that's true, when does florida children go back to school? all I know is I was alone, did what I wanted and walked on to lots of rides with no wait.
i'd do it again.

Yes, it is ridiculously hot, and humid, but it's definitely doable if you are an early morning person and take advantage of EMH to get as much done before noonish as possible, and then retreat to a pool or AC'd hotel room. Look at your weather forecast and plan to do mostly indoor shows on the hottest day. Buy those little fans with the water bottles. And mostly, just embrace the heat. Recognize you will be hot, you will be sticky. Think of it as an opportunity for a free, extended sauna session. :lmao:

Florida schools do go back in August. Teachers return either the first or second week of August and the students join us the next week! So almost all will be back in school by the start of the third week.

We used to go in the third week of August because of lower rates but stopped going because of the thunderstorms every afternoon of our last trip. We would be back at the hotel pool and our swimming would be ended because of lightning. It seemed as if there was less useable time in each day.

August was our "month of choice" once the kids became too old to take out of school for a trip. The rates at the resorts would go down around mid-August and Disney even offered *free* dining during that period when they first introduced it.

It's very hot but even worse, it is extremely humid. We rarely stayed in the parks during the afternoon, usually choosing to return to our resort for a swim or to rest in the air-conditioned room.

It also rains pretty much every day. Sometimes it's just a brief shower. But other times, it's a heavy downpour!

Finally, the park hours get cut back after the regular summer season ends. That means that there are fewer Fantasmics!, less opportunities to see MSEP, and you will have less time to tour the attractions.

My advice, if you choose to go in August, is:
  • stay hydrated
  • start early when the heat is at its lowest
  • take mid-afternoon breaks to avoid the storms and worst of the heat
  • return to the parks in the early evening when the sun begins to set
  • pay attention to when the evening shows will be if seeing them is important to you
  • take extra shoes so that when one pair gets soaked, you will have something to wear in your feet
  • have alternate plans in case of an all-day rain

August was our "month of choice" once the kids became too old to take out of school for a trip. The rates at the resorts would go down around mid-August and Disney even offered *free* dining during that period when they first introduced it.

It's very hot but even worse, it is extremely humid. We rarely stayed in the parks during the afternoon, usually choosing to return to our resort for a swim or to rest in the air-conditioned room.

It also rains pretty much every day. Sometimes it's just a brief shower. But other times, it's a heavy downpour!

Finally, the park hours get cut back after the regular summer season ends. That means that there are fewer Fantasmics!, less opportunities to see MSEP, and you will have less time to tour the attractions.

My advice, if you choose to go in August, is:
  • stay hydrated
  • start early when the heat is at its lowest
  • take mid-afternoon breaks to avoid the storms and worst of the heat
  • return to the parks in the early evening when the sun begins to set
  • pay attention to when the evening shows will be if seeing them is important to you
  • take extra shoes so that when one pair gets soaked, you will have something to wear in your feet
  • have alternate plans in case of an all-day rain

We bring rain ponchos and tour in the rain. Some of our best days have been when its raining as a lot of people opt not to go to the parks. I bring ziplock baggies with me so that we can roll the ponchos up and put them in the baggies once we get inside somewhere.

Mid to late August the crowds die down a bit as schools start up down here.

It's hot. We live here and we don't do Disney in the summer. We tend to stay at the pool or the beach.

Bring ponchos for sure, it will almost definitely storm every afternoon around 4 or 5.

I'd schedule some afternoon pool time to cool off and Disney REALLY cranks the AC so stopping into a store now and then will give you a little break. Enjoy, it's still fun because you're at WDW!:goodvibes

We bring rain ponchos and tour in the rain. Some of our best days have been when its raining as a lot of people opt not to go to the parks. I bring ziplock baggies with me so that we can roll the ponchos up and put them in the baggies once we get inside somewhere.
Yes, but during the height of hurricane season, sometimes ponchos aren't worth it and you're better off just saving your ticket for a nicer day. When that kind of weather hits, you'll want something to do beside sitting in your hotel room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter