Disney in January with 4 kids

mpzpowell

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We are going to Disney Janurary 21st-29th with 4 kids, ages 7, 5, 3 and 3. We have never been any other time besides summer and we are so excited to be able to visit the parks in cooler weather and smaller crowds!

What kind of weather should we expect in Jan? What kind of clothing should we plan to take? Do we need a heavier jacket than a lined windbreaker or will that be enough? Jeans or shorts or both?

Thanks!!

Paula

Hi,

We are going to Disney Janurary 21st-29th with 4 kids, ages 7, 5, 3 and 3. We have never been any other time besides summer and we are so excited to be able to visit the parks in cooler weather and smaller crowds!

What kind of weather should we expect in Jan? What kind of clothing should we plan to take? Do we need a heavier jacket than a lined windbreaker or will that be enough? Jeans or shorts or both?

Thanks!!

Paula
The crowds should be pretty low while you are there, you are getting out right before the crazy Superbowl crowds start arriving. As far as weather, January is pretty unpredictable. Were were in WDW last part of January, first part of February in 2005 and we had all kinds of weather. The first few days it was sunny and 75, then the last few days is was kind of cool and rainy. Either way, we had a great time.

Packing in Jan can be a pain! In the summer you know it's going to be hot! hot! hot! We went this past Jan/Feb and it was really cold the first day we were there. The kids were really cold and I was too. DH thought the cold was great! Of course, I'm from TX where it just doesnt get very cold.

It could be beautiful 75 and it could be much cooler. You just never know!

Like the pp's stated, it's a grab bag. Our last Jan. trip in 2007 was mostly warm, in the 70's or even 80's during the day. We had one cool day. But it could have just as easily been in the 50's. You'll just have to watch the 15 day forecast on accuweather.com and go from there. You will most likely want both shorts and jeans with light jacket, possibly something heavier if a cold front is possible. It is a wonderful time to go.

We went this past January and we loved it !! In fact we are going back next Jan for the next trip! Had considered Oct, had to cancel and then were relieved so we could do Jan!!!!Lines/crowds were so much smaller.Weather....well it varied!! Our first day there(we went like the 26-the 3rd) was rainy/misty and cool. So, we had jeans and jackets. Next day rainy and chilly--of course all the air cond. were blowing, so rest. and such were cold.By Wed. we had some days we wore shorts & t-shirts!!! Our suitcases were full!!!!

For a jacket-we don't bring a heavy one.But,we did watch lots of weather stations starting 2 weeks out to get an idea of what was going on.The weather channel was the fartherest off the mark!! I was surprised-but noticed this the trip before as well. We like accuweather and weatherunderground. You can also google the local Orlando news channel-that was good too.

All said--ya'll are gonna have a blast!! January is awesome!

We have been there in January the past 3 years, and we are going again from 1/24 to 1/30. As far as I am concerned, this is the best time of year to go. Crowds are low. As everyone has said, weather is unpredictable. In all of our trips we have varied from the low 60s to about 80 during the day. At night it gets cooler obviously. We have generally brought layers. T shirt, sweat shirt and light jacket. The 3 of those generally cover the coolest weather at night and it is easy to peel layers as it warms up during the day. You may also get the chance to swim if it is something that you want to do, so you may want to bring bathing suits as well.

We have gone the last 2 January's for the marathon weekend. 2007 was on the cool side and we wore jeans (no shorts). 2008 while walking out the door to go to the airport I decided I better throw in a couple pair of shorts...just in case. HOLY COW was is hot. It was around 90 the whole time we were there. We never wore jeans this trip. 2009 I will pack for every type of weather:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter