Disney in hot water again over character interaction or lack there of!!

I'm reserving judgement also.

One thing I do feel bad for with disney is that it's a victim of it's own advertising. I've heard compliants like the one mentioned in the original post.

I think folks see the commercials and think "that's what will happen to my family". I was in Pecos bill's one time having lunch and a grandfather was complaining that his grand kids had not seen Mickey yet. He mentioned that in all the commercials, "Mickey" and "Cinderellas" ran up to kids to huge them and took pictures and so far they had not experienced that. When I explained how to see the big cheese, he was terribly disappointed saying the commercial made it seem so easy.

People have such high expectations for the mouseworld.

Now the kid in the picture is smiling so I gotten believe he wasn't too terribly upset. but who knows.

It isn't like you can even SEE enough in those outfits. I was a character performer for many years.

I watched the new video. Based on the interactions described. The turning away, the pushing away of the kids hands, the "hurry up" gesture. My gut reaction is that this family cut in line. Those are things you do when someone jumps in the line and won't leave. You are trying to alert the handler to deal with it. When I was at Disneyland last month I noticed very few handlers or photo pass photographers with the characters. Most were alone w/people gathered around.

My guess, as a former performer, is that the white family had been waiting and the character knew that. The Blacks either didn't notice the line or didn't care, jumped in and didn't understand that there was some kind of order to people waiting. I believe the rabbit then might have given more attention as a "reward" to the people who waited patiently.

You can't see. If you have a line to your left and someone runs up on your right, you aren't expecting them and you don't see them. You have ZERO peripheral vision and depending on the height of the child you might only be able to see their feet or shoes.

The "impatience" is easily explained by the character's established quirks. Many, like me, didn't consider that.

In other news, Flavor Flav has filed a similar lawsuit alleging that at a character meet and greet, Captain Hook fled in terror when Mr. Flav came around the corner.

FlavaFlav_BrigitteNielsen_273x400.jpg

How much would you pay to see the White Rabbit pull off his head to reveal an African American actor inside? Racism...not so much lol.

In all seriousness I know racism is real and pervasive, and not something we should take lightly at all. However I also think there are about 1000 reasons the rabbit didn't interact the same way with both families, and only one of them points to race. Why jump to that conclusion?

Yellow_Stitch said:
The "impatience" is easily explained by the character's established quirks. Many, like me, didn't consider that.

In other news, Flavor Flav has filed a similar lawsuit alleging that at a character meet and greet, Captain Hook fled in terror when Mr. Flav came around the corner.

Lol...nice

Who knows why the rabbit hugged one kid and not another? Did the family cut in line? I have no idea. Did the little kid (Black) approach the rabbit with crossed arms, giving the impression he did not want to be hugged? They are crossed in the photo, so it is hard to say.

I have no explanation as to why some kids get hugs and others don't, but I think body language may have a bit to do with it. DD13 still manages to get character hugs and has her whole life. Something about her makes people hug her.

When she was younger, we were at dinner at 1900 Park Fare and Prince Charming singled her out for a waltz. He asked for a dance and she jumped at the chance. Yes, she was a cute little blonde haired, blue eyed girl. But he did not ask the other little blonde haired, blue eyed girl at our table to dance. My theory is, she looked like a little Cinderella, complete with hair on top of her head and a Cinderella costume. But for whatever reason, he picked her.

We keep wondering if she will grow out of whatever makes characters hug her. In line, we watch and some kids get hugs and high fives and some kids don't. I've never seen a pattern. Cute kids....White, at that.....get a nod and a signature with a pic while other cute kids get the full treatment. I figure after doing the job a while, you learn to read cues.

But without a PATTERN, I can't see discrimination. If there is a pattern, it needs to be addressed.

Was this the only black family at DLR that day? I'd believe it if 20 others were coming forward with similar complaints, but surely this is not the first black family that the rabbit has encountered.

Did anyone think its sad how they've pumped it up to their kids and made them sad feeling like the rabbit doesn't like black kids? Even if it were true for your kids sake wouldn't you have made up some other excuse so they wouldn't feel bad. And people wonder why racism still affects everything in this country .

The daughter was practically as tall as the character, not a child. If he would have hugged her, they might be charging sexual harrassment.

This whole story sounds suspect to me. I'll reserve judgment too.

The pictures I have seen all seem to be shot with different backgrounds. The characters usually pose in one place. I don't recall too much wandering around by characters at Disneyland. The mom said the Rabbit gave her a sign to hurry up. The White Rabbit is always hurrying around in the Alice movie. He's always late. Maybe it was a CM trying to be in character that got lost in translation. It seems like a case of "Why isn't my child getting the most magic?" The kids were smiling in the pictures so it's not like they were offended at the time. It didn't seem to bother them until they saw other kids getting more attention. I really don't think this a case of a racist White Rabbit.

Was this the only black family at DLR that day? I'd believe it if 20 others were coming forward with similar complaints, but surely this is not the first black family that the rabbit has encountered.

Did anyone think its sad how they've pumped it up to their kids and made them sad feeling like the rabbit doesn't like black kids? Even if it were true for your kids sake wouldn't you have made up some other excuse so they wouldn't feel bad. And people wonder why racism still affects everything in this country .

I don't wonder why racism exists -- it's because some people are racist. It seems you're implying that racism would go away if black people would just learn to ignore it.

bardis said:
I don't wonder why racism exists -- it's because some people are racist. It seems you're implying that racism would go away if black people would just learn to ignore it.

And many people DO ignore racism. That's why IF this was an act of racism, maybe it had affected others, but they chose to let it go. Many choose to let it go, because they fear the backlash of people telling them to stop crying racism. Some just ignore because they want to forget it ever happened. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, you just didn't hear about it.

No, the point is that crying "racism" just reflects poorly enough on folks that people who might otherwise NOT be racist could begin to tilt that way.

And no, I do not know if that's the case here. If it's a legitimate beef though, I wouldn't have automatically jumped to "racism" for the reason.

How much would you pay to see the White Rabbit pull off his head to reveal an African American actor inside? Racism...not so much lol.

In all seriousness I know racism is real and pervasive, and not something we should take lightly at all. However I also think there are about 1000 reasons the rabbit didn't interact the same way with both families, and only one of them points to race. Why jump to that conclusion?

YOu beat me to it, That would be 100% hysterical. I would LOVE to see that,

The only racism I see in this situation is coming from the black parents. They told the children the rabbit didn't hug them because of their race, when realistically there could have been 100 different reasons. So who is propagating racism in this scenario?

None of us can know the whole story, but I find it incredibly frustrating that almost no one seems to think it's even a possibility that it was racially motivated and instead the family must be making it up or being overly sensitive. Have you read the comments in the links that were posted? Racist people exist.

None of us can know the whole story, but I find it incredibly frustrating that almost no one seems to think it's even a possibility that it was racially motivated and instead the family must be making it up or being overly sensitive. Have you read the comments in the links that were posted? Racist people exist.

I don't think that's the case at all. Folks are frustrated that among the many possibilities that exist, someone would automatically leap to the conclusion that it MUST be racism. Everyone recognizes the very slim chance that it is actually a possibility. Slim chance if for no other reason than one would have to assume that unless it's a few minutes into the rabbit's first day, the rabbit has more than likely already hugged children (and adults) of every possible race that exists on the planet.

Slightly off topic but my friend works for a public charity. In the course of her job she occasionally has to ask people to leave her office. They are either participating in illegal behavior or causing a general disturbance. She never prosecutes, but has on occasion had to call the police. Recently, she had to remove an African American man. I was waiting for her to finish so we could go to lunch. The man claimed she was a racist. She had the best answer. She explained to the man that she had in fact asked previous African Americans to leave, in addition to Native Americans, Caucasians, Latinos, Asians, and probably many others. She then said while all the people she asked to leave did not have race in common they had one thing. They were all jerks.

People also need to remember there is a difference between inequality and racism.

I don't know what happened in the white rabbit situation, nor do I know the accusing family. I do know that they have a choice where they spend their entertainment dollars. If they don't feel welcome, they don't have to return. I've never really understood screaming about unequal treatment from a non essential business. Just don't go back. If it was a school district saying white kids could go to school 5 days a week but African Americans could only attend 2 days then I'd scream about racism and inequality. Hugs from someone in a dirty bunny suit, not so much.

I wasn't there, so I have no idea what actually happened, but I know there are often two sides to a story. Two quick thoughts:
1. I have observed on multiple occasions families approach a character from the side, not realizing there was a line. When the CM stopped the family, the family appears confused, hurt, and upset, even when, in my opinion, they have no right to be. I don't beleive these families were intentionally trying to cut the line, but rather just oblivious to their surroundings. It's entirely possible this was the scenario in this story.
2. My DD was once in line to meet Goofy. When it was her turn, Goofy reached out to take her autograph book. The CM suddenly stepped in between them and hustled Goofy away. My DD was upset and I was less than thrilled. We redirected my DD to the next event and the incident was soon forgotten. We later learned that the CMs were told there was lightning in the area and to get the characters indoors. Perfectly understandable and reasonable. It never once crossed my mind that race was an issue.

The CM should've said to you something rather than just hustling Goofy away without an explanation. Usually they say something when a character has to leave (for a break) and that they'll be back. And maybe think of the guests' safety as well if there was lightning in the area.

As to the topic: I HATE it when people play the race card.

I have to agree. I think they read into it what they wanted to. Although they did not go there to have this occur they are going to try and cash in on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter