Disney in February?

tifmcd425

Earning My Ears
We are thinking about making our 4th Disney trip for my sons 10th Bday in the first week of Feb.2014. Has anyone been there during this time, hows the weather, crowds etc...? any information would be great!

Went last week of January and first week of February in 2011 and 2013. Weather was great ( had 2 snow days both times back home in Michigan)!! High temps in the 70's and 80's. Low temps 50's, but warmed up fast with the sun. One quick rain storm during each trip. Crowds were great. DD14 rode Expedition Everest 7 times in a row. The last 4 times they didn't even make her go through the queue. We do single rider a lot. I will go through queue and then just wait for her. We also were able to take advantage of the free dining offer. DD's birthday is Jan. 26 so we made sure she a button. We received a funnel cake and at least 4 snacks as "gifts" from cast members. A couple of times DD was picked to be part of a show or we got moved to better seats. In 2011 we did run into the Argentinian tour groups. Just a bunch of loud 15 year old girls. Nothing to major. Hope you have a great time. :cool1::yay:

We go in February all the time. Crowds are ok( even the third week which is school vacation in New England ) and weather is mostly very good. We have had 80's and most mornings are in the 60's. mostly 70's during the day is normal, but it beats the sub zero temps back in Maine!! You will have a great time for sure!

Gone twice in Feb, including this year. Temps are great..some ride closures so be mindful of that. Also check to see when Fat Tuesday is as the state of Louisianna visits then and it is a little busier. We saw lots of cheer groups and didnt have any issues....anytime @ WDW is a great time!!!

Gone twice in Feb, including this year. Temps are great..some ride closures so be mindful of that. Also check to see when Fat Tuesday is as the state of Louisianna visits then and it is a little busier. We saw lots of cheer groups and didnt have any issues....anytime @ WDW is a great time!!!

Mardi GRAS/fat Tuesday isn't until march 4th this year....

We are thinking about making our 4th Disney trip for my sons 10th Bday in the first week of Feb.2014. Has anyone been there during this time, hows the weather, crowds etc...? any information would be great!

I had a blast! Gorgeous weather with a couple of chilly days mixed in. Crowds were ok to good, Mardi Gras and Presidents Week are more crowded but since you're thinking about going on the first week you won't have a problem. Some tour groups will be there and refurbs will have some attractions closed but overall it's a great time to be at WDW. I recommend reading easywdw.com's monthly calendar and seeing his updates about that period of time so you can have an idea of how was February this year.

I went Feb 11-16 2012 and Feb 7-13 2013 - I love this time of year. Had a couple of cold mornings/cool days on the 2012 trip, but nice weather the rest of the trip. This year it was beautiful for the whole trip, highs mid-70s to low 80s. No precip either year. Crowds weren't bad either year, IMO. They were definitely bigger this year, but I think a lot of that was because of Mardi Gras. As a pp said, though, Mardi Gras is much later in 2014, so won't be an issue.

The one thing I learned from the 2012 trip: don't go to AK on a cold morning (like 30s-40s) because not all of the animals will be out. And yeah, the biggest downer of Feb for me is that Splash Mountain is likely to be closed. But the Jan-Feb Value Season has the lowest rack rates of the year for Disney Resorts, and they've had some good discounts out for that time frame in the past, so that's a plus.

After flirting with May, my dread of Heat and Bugs is making me think I'm going to stick with Feb for the future. (I'd love to go Oct-Dec, but work conflicts rule that out.)

I went mid-Feb this year and the evenings would hit the 40s. The crowds were lighter than other times I've gone. During the day, the weather went up to the low-mid 60s which was PERFECT. And the rates are some of the lowest.

Went last week of January and first week of February in 2011 and 2013. Weather was great ( had 2 snow days both times back home in Michigan)!! High temps in the 70's and 80's. Low temps 50's, but warmed up fast with the sun. One quick rain storm during each trip. Crowds were great. DD14 rode Expedition Everest 7 times in a row. The last 4 times they didn't even make her go through the queue. We do single rider a lot. I will go through queue and then just wait for her. We also were able to take advantage of the free dining offer. DD's birthday is Jan. 26 so we made sure she a button. We received a funnel cake and at least 4 snacks as "gifts" from cast members. A couple of times DD was picked to be part of a show or we got moved to better seats. In 2011 we did run into the Argentinian tour groups. Just a bunch of loud 15 year old girls. Nothing to major. Hope you have a great time. :cool1::yay:

We went the same period in 2011. We found the weather near perfect and the crowds minimal. We are going back in 2014 the last week of January and first week of February. The only thing that leaves me a little concerned is things I have read about that time of year being a lot busier recently. And tour groups.. I keep hearing about how awful they are in January.
I don't know why but, I don't recall seeing a single tour group in 2011... I wonder if there are more TG's now than there were a couple years ago or if by the end of January they are pretty much cleared out every year??

We've been at the end of February and the crowds are pretty much non-existent. The weather was nice during the day (sunny and mid 70's) however, nights and early mornings were pretty chilly. We always had our jackets/sweatshirts with us then. Too chilly to swim too. In fact, the WP's were closed one day due to the chilly temps!

Remember a few things, too...
Depending on where you are from, your weather may cause delays.

The Orlando weather can be hit or miss that time of year, even from day to day. You may get highs in upper 70s or only 50s.

Also, it's still winter there...the grass will be brown, some trees will be barren. Sun-rise will not be until 7:30 and it will get dark by 6pm...just a little different if you are used to the summer WDW trips.

But, it is summer in Brazil...lots of tour groups.

But overall, less crowded than summer.

We did a trip the last week of Feb this year, and I've done the last week of Jan into Feb last year as well.

I would say that weather is usually warm, not crazy, I still had a sweater on some mornings, but was wearing shorts. This year however it was FREEZING our last day, and just got colder after we left. Be prepared for everything and have layers! You'll be warm midday but cold at night/early mornings.

Crowds have always been good. Just double check the crowd calanders and stay away from presidents day as the crowds are insane then!

my first visit in Feb. was this year. We were there Feb. 20-24. GREAT weather. Apparently, earlier in the week (Sat-Tuesday night) was chilly...friends were wearing sweatshirts and pants but by Wednesday, we were all in t-shirts, shorts & flip flops. Amazing weather for the time we were there (Wed.-Sat.)

I loved February!

I went in Feb 2012, week before presidents week. It started off in the low 60s, rainy and windy. Not fun. Later in the week it warmed up, and then got pretty hot. You really never know what you'll get in February! Pack accordingly.

It was a little crowded when I went, especially in MK. I've never seen a 3 hour wait for IASW until then! This could have to do with free dining week, also new Fantasyland wasn't done and many rides were being refurbished.

Have been subjected to the Bazillion Brazilian way too many times, which was once, and swore we'd never go back during the time(s) they were most prevelant, and February is one of those times.

We will be there from Jan 31 - Feb 7th, 2014. Have never been during that time. We have gone in May, June and September. I do not do well with heat. It can make me beyond grumpy!!

Have been subjected to the Bazillion Brazilian way too many times, which was once, and swore we'd never go back during the time(s) they were most prevelant, and February is one of those times.

Bazillion Brazilian! I love it. I think I'm going to need to steal that phrase! :-)

Not to hijack the topic, but what are good/bad times to go if you want to avoid this phenomenon? Seems like February is vacation time for many countries judging by WDW alone.

yes, rude, loud, line jumpers, block sidewalks in groups of 30......but....if you head the other way it's a great time !

We went the First full week of Feb 2012. We were there from the Thurs before Superbowl until the Sat after. It was AWESOME!

Weather was rainy, but warm enough to wear skirts (shorts) our whole trip. We wore sweaters in the mornings and evenings, but otherwise were in just tshirts and shorts/skirts.

Crowds were ok. They weren't as good as when we went in Jan 2010, but waits averaged 25 mins. We waited 45 mins for TSMM which ended up being about an hour and 5 mins, but it wasn't nearly as bad as other times of the year. The only other long wait that sticks out in my mind was for Test Track. We got FP for it, but we wanted to ride it again and again... I think it was posted for a 40 min wait and it was over 1:20. :sad: NOt bad compared to other times of year, but still... There were other headliners that were surprisingly short waits - EE, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Soarin', Space tours, Tomorrowland Speedway, Tower of Terror... all less than 15ish mins. The others were just walk-ons - Mission Space, Laugh Floor, Philharmagic, Small World, Captain Eo, Muppets 3D, Backlot Tour... But I just imagine those always being walk ons because they usually are when we've gone (Jan and Feb.)

Also, be aware that rides WILL be down for scheduled maintenance during that time of year. We were surprised that Splash Mountain was open, and we took full advantage of it - we went 3 times, and only one time did we wait in line, and it was only about 20 mins.

I was surprised that the line for Dole Whips was longer than many of the ride lines! :rotfl:

Oh, also, Superbowl Sunday was a unique experience... the Superbowl was actually hosted in our town when we went to WDW (it was my rebel escape - I had been working on the Superbowl most of the year leading up to it!), but it was great to see groups of people sprinkled throughout the parks and resorts, all huddled around smartphones, ipads and tablets, following the game. It was heartwarming to hear them praising my city for what an awesome host we were, and even cooler to hear people talking about the specific projects I had worked on. (Superbowl Village) On Monday, I expected something crazy because of the whole "I just won the Superbowl, Now I'm going to WDW!" parade, but we just didn't hit MK that day... we went to another park and didn't even know anything special was going on.

All in all, a great trip, and we'd do it again in a heartbeat!

If you'd like me to post pics of crowds, I'd be happy do to that tonight when I'm at home. I don't have them here with me at work. Just let me know:-)

We had highs in the low 40s with a cold wind chill starting on day 4 of our trip in 2009. It was very uncomfortable and we actually left 2 days early (booked with get 7 nights for 4 nights paid). I would never go that time of year again unless I booked last minute and knew weather would be at least 60s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter