• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney in December?

nickey

Earning My Ears
Who likes it? Do parks close early? Hows the crowds and weather? Thanks.....

Love it

Depends on what time of December you are going, check out the hours that are posted.

Weather can vary, and crowd is not bad at beginning, and huge around christmas. Rides DH and I walked on had a 3 to4 hour wait when my sister went three weeks later.

I do! I love seeing the decorations.

As for the weather, it really does vary. We've had really nice weather but then a couple years ago Florida went through a cold snap where it was in the 30s! Of course it warmed up right after we left. :laughing:

Crowds depend on the time in December you go. Last year we went before Christmas and the crowds were pretty low. Towards the end of our trip (the 20th) it was starting to get more crowded.

All in all, it's a great time to go!

We love WDW in December!!! There is so much to see and do, especially seeing the decorations (the Christmas trees at the hotels are HUGE), the Christmas Processional, and the Osborne Family of Lights (don't know if they still call it that but it is fantastic!)

We bring the family every year in December. Yeah, the weather is unpredictable, but it's unpredictable at home too so we might as well enjoy it at WDW. :)

Love it! They weather is nice crowds are light. It's the best! (early Dec)

I been to Disney in early December from '99-'06, and then for various reasons missed '07 and '08. I am looking at returning this year. I think it is the most beautiful time of the year to be there. And in early Dec, lower crowds, great weather and value rates. If you can go, especially early in the month, GO!!

We went last year (Dec 13-21st) and although we enjoyed our trip, we probably won't go at that time of year again. The weather was actually in the 70's the whole week which was nice, but didn't feel like the holidays. Our days were shorter compared to previous trips due to it getting dark earlier and the parks closing earlier as well. I also felt it was pretty crowded the majority of our trip. I think the secret is out that December is a low crowd time :) That being said, if you haven't been to Disney when the holiday decorations are out, it is worth doing at least once. Definately check out the decorated Disney resorts (Grand Floridian was my favorite!) We also really enjoyed the Osbourne Lights. My advice would be to go as early in the month as possible. HTH!

Another vote here for December at WDW. Although there has been some buzz on the DIS-boards that "the secret is out" that there are low crowds in December and it is no longer the case, my experience (most recently from mid-December two years ago) is that the crowds are definitely lighter than at most other times. Especially with early entry, you can have a fairly relaxed experience up to, say, 11 or 12, when the crowds begin to build. And even then the crowds are nothing compared to Thanksgiving, or the Christmas holidays, beginning after around December 20.

And like IWantMickey and Txaggiemomof3 said, the Osborne Lights, the Christmas Processional, and the decorated resorts are spectacular. When I was last there, The Grand Floridian had an absolutely beautiful gingerbread house that was life size - the size of a small cabin. The decorations in all of the other resorts were very nicely themed to match the rest of the decor.

And I regard myself as fairly down-to-earth, but the Christmas Processional can still draw a few tears to my eyes.

Yes, the weather is unpredictable, and over the years we've had a few cold snaps, but I always remind myself that the weather in New York is much, much colder. Generally, temperatures have been in the 70s. Not t-shirt weather, and a jacket is definitely needed in the mornings and evenings, but being in WDW is definitely better than shoveling snow. :goodvibes

I can't wait to find out! DH & I are going in December for the first time. (early - Dec. 6-15) We're going with older DS & DDIL.

Christmas at Disney is absolutely gorgeous.

The weather is usually pretty nice still. January is when it starts to get really cold and can get down to freezing! Dec is relatively mild. *I* bundle up, but I'll see tourists still in shorts/t-shirts. Lol

We went last year (Dec 13-21st) and although we enjoyed our trip, we probably won't go at that time of year again. The weather was actually in the 70's the whole week which was nice, but didn't feel like the holidays. Our days were shorter compared to previous trips due to it getting dark earlier and the parks closing earlier as well. I also felt it was pretty crowded the majority of our trip. I think the secret is out that December is a low crowd time :) That being said, if you haven't been to Disney when the holiday decorations are out, it is worth doing at least once. Definately check out the decorated Disney resorts (Grand Floridian was my favorite!) We also really enjoyed the Osbourne Lights. My advice would be to go as early in the month as possible. HTH!

We were there the 13th-22nd last year. Crowds weren't bad for us until the last day, I highly recommend Tour Guide Mike for making the most of your trip. This year were going to the first part of the month, it should be even better.

Based on the last day of our trip (20 minute waits building to 2-3 hour waits), I we would NEVER book a trip for Christmas-New Years.

December at WDW is my absolute favorite, Last year we couldnt go and it was really missed. Luckily we get to go this year again. :cool1:

We usually finish our trip the weekend before Christmas and the crowds are pretty good until then. But we have also been over Christmas and even though the crowds are spectacular it is still a great experience!

Weather can be anywhere although over about 10 Dec. trips I dont ever recall rain. But it can get chilly, especially at night.

We love all the Christmas decorations and many people bring along decorations for their rooms, especially at Fort Wilderness. Thats worth a few hours to visit over there!

Another vote here for December at WDW. Although there has been some buzz on the DIS-boards that "the secret is out" that there are low crowds in December and it is no longer the case, my experience (most recently from mid-December two years ago) is that the crowds are definitely lighter than at most other times.

I've seen this too and I'd really like to know what some people consider light crowds. Two people in the whole park?! :confused3 We were there last year from the 16-21 and it was not crowded at all. Maybe we just have different expectations since we've been there after Christmas and over Easter when it's really crowded.

I love December! The decorations and the castle are fantastic!!

We've been the last three Decembers in a row. LOVED every minute of it. We went during the first week of December and twice during the actual Christmas week. SOO pretty.

Weather always varies ... we've gone from low 50's to 84. You have to prepare for everything.

This might get you motivated ...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1953049

We loved it in '07. Day temps warm enough for shorts and evening/night temps still warm enough that we did not have to change into warmer clothes. we went the middle of december.

Medium crowds, we could still get into most restaraunts (2 people) without a reservation. But enough people that we could still appreciate finding a short line at a ride. Hehehehee

Mikeeee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter