Disney in August

August is very hot and very miserable -- but at least there are no love bugs!

I go every August. I am a teacher, and it's my last hurrah of the summer before school starts. Anyway, I am used to hot/humid weather but that doesn't mean I like it. By day, I am in water...resort pool or water park. I go to the parks at night...yes, it's still hot and humid at night, but not as miserable as during the day. This is how I've always done Disney in August...and it works for me.

HI! We have gone in mid-late August for 5 trips and in four weeks, it will be our 6th trip. As we get older, DH and I do not really enjoy the heat and humidity, but DS has school, I am a teacher and summer is really the best time for us. I would prefer end of June/early July, but August is when DH has 2 weeks off and I like to travel from a week day to a week day (cheaper air fare and lower DVC points during the week)

I agree with everyone here about the heat and humidity. Standing on lines can be brutal at times, but as others said most of the waits except for the real popular attractions can be 5-25 minutes early in the morning, not too bad. You need to drink plenty of water, wear lots of sunscreen, take afternoon pool/water park/air conditioned breaks and return to the park for the evening.

Have fun!! :goodvibes

As you've read, people have different tolerances for the heat & humidity.

It doesn't bother us, we stay hydrated, get to the parks at opening and we leave after lunch, around 1 ish for the afternoon pool break, then go back out to the parks after dinner. Seems to be many peoples plan. My DH hates Florida in summer, so he stays home, & it's a mom/daughter trip :goodvibes

The heat and humidity is not the best aspect of August; however, there are lots of things to do in Disney inside. For example lots of Countries have indoor attractions, go into stores to cool off, innoventions, and the Nemo aquariums are great places to cool off. Bring your misting fans and be prepared for a short rainstorm almost daily. (sometimes it's nice and sunny all day). Rope Drop is great, it's not unbearably hot. We always plan to head back to our resprt mid day to take a break and cool off. Tour groups are not bad at all in the beginning of august. I think we have seen maybe 1 or 2 tourgroups each trip we have taken at the very beginning of august. Discounts are great at this time also...I would say this is a great time to visit Disney, and the crowds are definitely not all that unbearable. August 3rd thru the 10th last year we were able to be the only ones in monorail cars. My brother and I were able to ride ToT in less than 20 minutes at about 9:35am. I say go for it! :thumbsup2

Our last two trips to Disney were in August (the first two weeks) and I agree with everyone - yup it is hot and humid - but we love it. We did rope drops every morning, left early p.m. and back in the evening. If you are staying on property, take advantage of the extra evening hours when it is much cooler. One night two years ago, DHS was open until 1 a.m. We got there around 10 p.m. or so and practically had the park to ourselves! I think you will be just fine going in August. Have fun!

Love it in August, especially the closer you get to Labor Day ( low crowds that last week). Yes it's hot and sticky, but this week it's cooler in Florida than it is here in the northeast! Sunblock, comfortable shoes, and LOTS of water are a must!

We went at the end of Aug last year and are returning this Aug 26-Sep3. Is it hot? Of course. But it's very managable - especially since crowds/lines are small. As long as you are not spending 60 minutes waiting on a hot line, it's quite bearable. As long as you keep hydrating and mix in enough indoor (air conditioned) attractions, it's a great time to go. Outside of TSMM, we did not encounter a line longer than 10 minutes - including less than 5 minutes for Soarin'.

Oh that sounds great... we are going this year from Aug 23rd - Sept 5, never been in august before we know it going to be hot etc, but are the parks that much quieter then this time of year ??? :thumbsup2

We were there 2 years ago in Aug and as you've read, it's HOT! :scared1: I can honestly say, the heat sucked the life right out of us.:eek: We DID leave the parks at lunch and go back to our resort for lunch, pool time and a nap. That being said, we we never recovered from the nap...we had no energy. THIS trip, we're going again, in Aug. We've decided a HUGE change of plans was in order. This time, we're SLEEPING IN every day.Hanging out at our resort, pool side and drinks in hand. We will get cleaned up and ready to head to the parks at 5ish. We are hoping to only be in the sun a few hours and then enjoy the parks at night!!!! Good luck! :thumbsup2

We do it the exact same way. We always stay at the Beach Club so we do Storm Along Bay from morning til mid afternoon. Then we shower, dine at the Cape May and then hit the parks. We are anything but park commandos so it works out perfectly for us. Staying at the Beach Club for us is key!

Jay

We do it the exact same way. We always stay at the Beach Club so we do Storm Along Bay from morning til mid afternoon. Then we shower, dine at the Cape May and then hit the parks. We are anything but park commandos so it works out perfectly for us. Staying at the Beach Club for us is key!

Jay

Hi...

We have never thought of doing the park's this way around suppose it makes good sense you dont have to be up at like 7am and it must be cooler on the evening and night as we are from the UK Florida weather is not the norm for us :cool2: Do all the rides etc stay open untill park closes then >> :confused3 Cheers

I agree with what mostly everyone else said. Even though August isn't the most ideal time to go to WDW in terms of the climate, the trade off for us by going at the end of August is the decreasing/moderate crowd levels, value season pricing/promotional offers, our kids not having to miss school, and the fact that Disney has a lot of indoor/air conditioned attractions. Plus our anniversary will be during our week at WDW! We plan to hit the parks at rope drop, use misting fans/bottles, drink plenty of water, and duck in the air conditioning when needed. I also think we will do an afternoon nap/pool break most days, but I know there will be a couple days where we won't. We are also planning to have one "off" day in the middle of the week on which we will sleep in and enjoy the pool/resort during the day and go to DTD for an early dinner. We think this will refresh us from being out and about in the extreme heat everyday. Like another poster said everyone has a different tolerance for heat, but a lot of people tell me that it is manageable if you prepare and have a plan for it.

We went in August of 2009. It more crowded than we were used to, but we had a great time anyway. We took a break and went back to our hotel for a swim and to relax a bit, and we took full advantage of the extra magic hours at night.
The parks are amazing at night. It's much less crowded, and the rides are a whole different experience in the dark.
We will be back in Disney two weeks from today!

I am so glad to have found this thread and cannot wait to start planning our 8/2012 trip. We have been in May and Sept the last two years. Both times were very hot and humid with our Sept trip being less crowded. Next year, however, my DD starts high school and we really do not want her to miss so much school right at the beginning of the year. So, we are going to do the end of Aug for 10 nights. Our schools do not start until after labor day. I am very encouraged to hear that the crowds thin out a bit during this time...the heat we can work with too. We love the water parks and would do both TL and BB. As well, we spend every evening at the pools and most afternoons. What will be nice is that we will get to experience the parks at night. In Sept, the parks closed by 9:00 except for EMH. So we will definitely take advantage of touring after the sun goes down!!! ;)

Yep, its hot and sticky, but still a great time to go. The discounts are great and its not as crowded. We usually get up early, hit the most popular rides and then eat. Lunch is usually 11 or 12 and we skip breakfast. We then spend the rest of the day at our resort, when the crowds and the sun are the highest. Often it rains for about an hour, but there is still always time for the pool and a nap. Later we get dressed and either go back to parks or to dinner depending on what time of dining reservations are. Our basic plan is to get up early and stay up late, but sleep in between when its the hottest. And we love it!

We often visit in late August to celebrate our anniversary. Yes, it is hot and humid, but it's hot and humid in New York, too, so I don't notice much of a difference. Once you've accepted that, there are great resort discounts and emptier parks because lots of Southern schools go back before Labor Day and there aren't many tour groups. Therefore, it is easy to see a lot of attractions in less time and if it gets too hot, you can always do an air conditioned attraction like Hall of Presidents at MK or The American Adventure at Epcot. ADRs are easier to get this time of year as well. I would definitely recommend WDW in August.

My last trip was the end of Aug. It wasn't that bad. Even the crowds weren't really bad. We rode ToT like 4 times in row, the park had been open for a while.

We have been going the end of August for the past few years as DS cannot miss school in Sept. I find it very hot most years during that week. We either get up for rope drop or do opening at one of the water parks and come back around lunchtime. Then we shower, eat and head to the parks refreshed. I really enjoy taking my DS's the last week in Aug, as it is right before school starts.

The first time me and my family went to Disney was about the week before school started, and yes, it was hot, hot hot, but it was so much fun! We've been Disney-holics ever since! :laughing: Just be sure to bring and drink lots of water to stay hydrated, and wear light clothes to stay cool. Plus, bring hair ties to pull up your hair! They used to sell these big spray fans in the park that were filled up with water. I don't know if they still sell them, but I know that you can get smaller ones at Wal-Mart. Those were very helpful to me and my family. I hope you have a fantastic time, and lots of fun! :thumbsup2

We have gone to Disney many different times of the year - all except Christmas - that will be down the line at some point. Last time we went was end of July/Beginning of August. The time before that was middle of August. It rained constantly that week in August. I am hoping it doesn't do that this time around but you never know. I need to purchase decent poncho's yet. I don't remember seeing tour groups either of the two times we have done summer Disney vacations. Crowd levels were not that bad. We will not be doing comando style this time around either. I am hoping to be at rope drop every day but you never know with 2 teenage dd's. My DS likes to sleep also - just started this summer. He is at Boyscout camp this week. We will see, can't wait to go. Crowds are not bad at all.

This is our first year going at the end of August. I have been reading the DISboards alot to help me prepare. We are planning to take a midafternoon break most days also. :thumbsup2

One thing I read on the board is to bring some paper towels. If you get overheated you can wet it at a waterfountain and put it on your neck and it will instantly cool you down. ;)

The day we go to HS we have a 4:50 ADR w/the Fantasmic Dinner package. It will be tough to not rest up that afternoon. I'm worried about that day...
The next day we didn't plan anything other than our ADR at 6:00pm. It will be a sleep-in, pool, rest day and go to a park that evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter