Disney in August

autismgoesdisney

DIS Veteran
So my hubby has a week off the end of August. We are trying to think of what to do and of course Disney has come up. We planned on going next December of 2012, but something else came up and we are doing Outer Banks in NC instead in 2012. So that leaves Disney for 2011 :)

How hot and miserable is Disney end of August?

We typically go in August (beginning to middle) because dh is a teacher. Honestly, we LOVE it! Yes, it's hot, sticky and crowded, but we don't mind. We live in Wisconsin, so for us, it's been hot and humid all summer and we're actually used to it by mid August. We also have had all summer to buy the tank tops, shorts and sandals that we need by then (that still fit the kids), so we don't have to scramble to buy new shoes and summer clothes all at once.

It's definitely a must to go to the parks at rope drop (or thereabouts), come back to the resort mid-day for a rest and swim, and then go back to the parks in the evening. That really helps with the heat. We also stop and browse in the shops to escape the heat for a bit if it get's unbearable. Our kids use the misting fans while waiting in line if they get hot and that also helps.

We leave in 13 days for August trip to the World and can't wait!

Disney in August can be very hot and humid. Having done 3 summer trips there are many ways to survive. Do rope drop everyday. Plan to leave the parks around 1pm and go back to your resort for a swim and relax in your air conditioned room. Head back to the parks around 6pm and stay until the parks close. It feels less hot once the sun goes down. Wear loose fitting cotton clothes and drink water, even if you don't think you're thirsty. The first summer trip we took, the heat index all week was over 100 but we still did everything we wanted. Just be prepared to be hot.

We have also been in August. The parks are often less crowded because many areas are back to school and the tour groups aren't there. It is hot, but usually showers a bit every afternoon to cool things down a bit. I actually love August. We were there for a hurricaine one year, but get insurance and don't worry!

This will be our 3rd trip at the end of August (8/28-9/4). Yes it is very hot and sticky but if you plan correctly it can be just fine. Go to the parks early and late and rest or swim during the middle of the day. And of course drink plenty of water and wear light clothing. Lots of rides and attractions in air conditioning. We also have found the crowds to be rather low with waits on the lower end.

Have fun.

SAme as NJ. We go every August and it's hot and humid and doable. We try to alternate attractions, one outdoor, one indoor. We keep saying we're taking breaks in the afternoon but we never do. We manage and have a great time. Have fun.

We've gone a couple of times in August and haven't had any problems. The southern schools are usually back in session so it's not as crowded towards the end of August. If you plan to head to the parks in the morning, take a mid-day break back at your resort. If not, sleep in and enjoy the pool in the afternoon. Head to the parks late day when others are leaving and stay later into the night.

We went at the end of Aug last year and are returning this Aug 26-Sep3. Is it hot? Of course. But it's very managable - especially since crowds/lines are small. As long as you are not spending 60 minutes waiting on a hot line, it's quite bearable. As long as you keep hydrating and mix in enough indoor (air conditioned) attractions, it's a great time to go. Outside of TSMM, we did not encounter a line longer than 10 minutes - including less than 5 minutes for Soarin'.

We've gone in August every year since 2005. We also arrive for rope drop and usually leave the parks by 1 or 2. It's hot, but it's hot at home, too, and there are plenty of air conditioned places to escape the heat in the parks. We drink a lot of water, and reapply sunscreen frequently.

THe past few years we always head down for a week on Aug. 8 (totally by coincidence, but it must be a lucky number for us because we always have a blast!) Its hot, obviously, and afternoons are often less than pleasant. but we never really are bothered. get nice loose clothing, a good hat and sunblock, and drink lots of water (even if you arent thirsty like a PP said). Rope drops and EMH may be your new friend. we find it best to go first thing, have an earlier lunch around 1130 or 12, and then go to the hotel for naps, showers, swim, etc. We also like not having a hot car ride, those disney buses have AMAZING a/c lol. also, check your local walmart-type store for small pocket misters. those disney fans are big and expensive, but i found a 3 pack of pump misters that we take, fill up and put in the fridge the night before, and we can easily refill them at a water fountain. and they fit in a little backpack. have a fun trip!!

How hot depends on what you're used to. Yes, it's in the 90's and humid which makes it feel hotter. But if you're used to 100 or higher like we are that doesn't seem bad at all. If you're used to 80's you're in probably for some heat exhaustion. Just drink lots of water and plan to do things where you can go sit in air conditioning periodically to cool off.

And don't forget you can get free cups of ice. we put ice in our water bottles to start with so it stays cold. Use the free ice to refill them.

THe past few years we always head down for a week on Aug. 8 (totally by coincidence, but it must be a lucky number for us because we always have a blast!) Its hot, obviously, and afternoons are often less than pleasant. but we never really are bothered. get nice loose clothing, a good hat and sunblock, and drink lots of water (even if you arent thirsty like a PP said). Rope drops and EMH may be your new friend. we find it best to go first thing, have an earlier lunch around 1130 or 12, and then go to the hotel for naps, showers, swim, etc. We also like not having a hot car ride, those disney buses have AMAZING a/c lol. also, check your local walmart-type store for small pocket misters. those disney fans are big and expensive, but i found a 3 pack of pump misters that we take, fill up and put in the fridge the night before, and we can easily refill them at a water fountain. and they fit in a little backpack. have a fun trip!!

Sorry to hijack:hug: How crowded it is the week of Aug 8th, any tour groups? We are looking to go the beginning of August and want to avoid tour groups!

We go every year the last week of August. Unfortunately, with my daughter entering HS next year, looks like this could be our last one for a while :sad1: We LOVE the last week before Labor Day. The crowds are extremely low. Yes, it is hot, but not any hotter than VA. In fact, it will be cooler down there this week than here:lmao:. It is a great time for discounts ie: free dining/ room only discounts too. Hope to see you down there!

Sorry to hijack:hug: How crowded it is the week of Aug 8th, any tour groups? We are looking to go the beginning of August and want to avoid tour groups!

I would also like to know this. We went three years ago Aug 26- Sept 3rd and it was blazing hot but the lines were very manageable. Due to my DD going into high school and sports we had to move our trip up to Aug 11-17. We are worried that the crowds might not die down before we get there. But, like PP said it's hot at home so why not be hot and go to Disney??!!

I usually go mid- August. Weather is hot and humid but crowds are manageable. Do rope drop and leave parks to go swimming or relax at resort mid-day when it is hottest and getting crowded. Also, watch out for bad weather. My last trip we arrived with Hurricane Charly.

we've not had any problems with tour groups or other large gatherings getting in the way. in 2008 we saw a "small" tour group of about 30 kids and adults, but they were rarely where we were, and even when they are, it didn't really impact anything. I find the crowds to be a bit better than june/july, but they are still summer crowds. i think they start to drop off around mid-august more than the beginning. but we've always been able to tour efficiently, see what we want, and still fit in the afternoon rests. just try to find AC as much as possible from 1-4, and stay hydrated. like someone said, its better to be hot at Disney than hot at home! lol

Most of our trips have been in August. We love it because our kids don't miss school, we usually find great discounts, and the crowd levels are relatively low. Last year was the first time we were there the first week in August. I swear it was the hottest we have ever been. Waiting for rope drop every morning at 8:30 we had sweat pouring out of us! Having said that, we are going back this August for more (but later in the month, because that's when the discounts are)!

Bring misty fans, water bottles and ponchos. As always in florida, sudden storms often pop up. We always welcome these because they tend to cool things off (at least for a while) and clear out the parks.

Enjoy!

ETA: re tour groups...there was one from Brazil that we kept encountering for the first few days (I would say we didn't see them after, maybe, 8/3). Beware of young adults in very bright shirts with Brazil written on the back. They tend to get on FP lines and collect 100 FPs. My DH was behind one at Soarin' and it really put a dent in our touring plan for the day! We knew better when we saw her the next day at ToyStoryMania, DH went to a different machine! Anyway, it seemed we only saw that one group. The rest had apparently cleared out.

We went in the beginning of august, 2 years ago. It was hot. I am overweight and I was miserable. Add to the fact that I was 8 weeks pregnant and it wasn't a fun trip for me.

Be prepared to be hot. Take breaks. Stay hydrated. You should be fine.

We were there 2 years ago in Aug and as you've read, it's HOT! :scared1: I can honestly say, the heat sucked the life right out of us.:eek: We DID leave the parks at lunch and go back to our resort for lunch, pool time and a nap. That being said, we we never recovered from the nap...we had no energy. THIS trip, we're going again, in Aug. We've decided a HUGE change of plans was in order. This time, we're SLEEPING IN every day.Hanging out at our resort, pool side and drinks in hand. We will get cleaned up and ready to head to the parks at 5ish. We are hoping to only be in the sun a few hours and then enjoy the parks at night!!!! Good luck! :thumbsup2

We too have done August many times. It's doable.... parks early morning and return in the evening. Stay by the pool during the afternoon! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter