Disney in 1.5 weeks, Can I rent DVC?

mikewallacesc

Earning My Ears
I'm just learning about this whole DVC thing, but our trip is only a week and a half away. (We're booking last-minute because we were unsure what my job situation would be.) Is it feasible to try and rent a reservation or points? Would it even be cheaper than 2 value resort rooms? How do you know how many points you need for your stay?

There is near zero chance of DVC availabilty for Dec at this point. Likely that the normal disney resorts are also sold out. It might be your only chance is to possibly rent someone's existing reservation that they can't use anymore.

I'm just learning about this whole DVC thing, but our trip is only a week and a half away. (We're booking last-minute because we were unsure what my job situation would be.) Is it feasible to try and rent a reservation or points? Would it even be cheaper than 2 value resort rooms? How do you know how many points you need for your stay?

You should take a look at the DVC Rent/Trade Board to see if there are any existing reservations being offered for your dates. These will be titled "Reservation for Rent". You can also post a request in any of the "Points for Rent" threads where members are offering to make reservations.

As already noted, at this late date there will be little availability for a DVC rental unless someone is already offering a reservation they are unable to use.

You can use the "DVC Point Charts" link at the top of this board to see what a villa would "cost" in points. You can certainly find some bargain rates renting from DVC members. Be sure to read all of the informational posts at the top of the Rent/Trade Board - there are some good suggestions there.

Good luck ... and Welcome to the DIS!

Doc thanks for your help on the thread. During the time the thread was down, we actually went ahead and made a decision. We have an AP going with us and he is just going to book us AP ticket-less packages at All-Star Movies then we will buy our tickets from UT.

I hate to see a good thread go to waste though.

For those of you who have rented reservations or points before, what kind of time frame do you normally do it on? What do you consider way too late to try? What's your planning process? I'm getting the feeling that most people have the details of their Disney trip worked out months ahead of time.

For those of you who have rented reservations or points before, what kind of time frame do you normally do it on? What do you consider way too late to try? What's your planning process? I'm getting the feeling that most people have the details of their Disney trip worked out months ahead of time.

That's a difficult question. Certainly the further out the better. Time of year, location desired and events matter. For example, we're going in Oct. 2011 for Food and Wine Festival. We want to stay at the Boardwalk for easy access to Epcot. We made our reservations at the 11 month mark (first day possible for our travel dates). Even then, we had to waitlist for a standard view studio on one of the nights (which already came through).

If you plan to attend a popular resort over a popular event such as Food and Wine at Beach Club or Boardwalk, Mickey's not so Scarey Halloween Party or Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at Bay Lake Tower - I'd look to book as close to 11 months out as possible.

If you plan to stay at resort with limited availability or limited number of the room type in the view category you're looking for (ie Animal Kingdom Villas Value Studio), I'd also plan to book at the 11 month mark.

If you plan to go over a major holiday period (Easter, Christmas, New Year's), I'd also plan to book at the 11 month mark - or as close to as possible.

If you plan to go during a relatively moderate or slow time of year and don't care what resort you end up at, you're probably ok up until about 60-90 days before. Now, I say that very cautiously as getting multiple nights in the same resort and room type that late could be very difficult and this may involve "split stays" to piece the stay together.

We've never had a problem booking at about 100+ days out as long as we didn't care what resort or room category we had. But, we've never booked that late during a major event or busy period.

Remember, this is a timeshare, and like all timeshares advance planning is required.

Welcome!

Did you check the Rent / Trade forum? There are currently several reservations for rent for this coming December. You'd have to see if they match your needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter